Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Its not evidence that Smirko didn't lie though or even really that Macron we were going to axe the contract for sure.
I'm not saying it was evidence. But it appears if it was he would be copping iot for breaching Macron trust? I would have thought if it indicates Macron is not being entirely truthful Scomo would have a right to release it?

Ultimately, he is way out of his depth in any international setting. The sooner he is gone the better. Not that there appears any outstanding candidates on either side.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I agree Scott Morrison is a fool. But keeping that contract would have made him a complete fool. The French have screwed us over. Look at what they given us for our billions.

7.30 just showed Dept Defence official saying in some public Senate? review that the French Submarine contract was on time and on budget.

Another Scomo ‘truth’ being found out.

Reactions: 1 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Morrison is an idiot and is making a fool of himself at international level. He will get what he deserves in about 6 months time.

But the bleating French can cry me a river. Wouldn’t trust what Macron says anymore than Morrison or Putin or the Chinese bloke Xi. They sold us a $90m dog no matter what anyone says. $90m for obsolete technology that was miles behind in all facets of the project stage and over budget as well. Not too mention the technology will be out of date by 20 years by the time a sub hits the water.

The biggest issue was signing the dog of a deal in the first place. That’s on the Turnbull government. It has been a *smile* show all around from go to whoa and Australia is copping the fallout for its incompetence in every facet. But the French can *smile* off with their bleating; they have not delivered in any shape or form. The contract termination should have been handled far more diplomatically but the French are far from blameless.

Reactions: 1 user

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Would you have kept that contract?
Who signed the bloody thing in the 1st place, that's the question that is most relevant. If it's a bad contract now it was then too.
Let's not beat around the bush, it was stupid at the time. Same with the jet fighter embarassment thats being floated.

I truly wonder what sort of Looneys we have running our defence forces & Government.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
7.30 just showed Dept Defence official saying in some public Senate? review that the French Submarine contract was on time and on budget.

Another Scomo ‘truth’ being found out.
That’s a long way from what has been widely reported in many circles. An Australian National Audit Office review in January 2020 found that the cost of the project would at be at least $90b instead of $50b initially budgeted. At least two key mandated milestones were missed and the project was already 9 months behind in the design phase alone. Local job content was supposed to be 90% it was then revised to 60% and the French were still bitching about that. Plus the first sub was supposed to be delivered in 2035 but it was reported earlier this year that this had been pushed back to 2038. The technology is already out of date.

Anyway this is a major *smile* up all around and mostly of the Australian government’s doing. But the French have played a part in their own demise as well. The project was a dog with fleas and they couldn’t even deliver on that.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Would you have kept that contract?

I wouldn't have signed it in the first place. Hey, I've got an idea, instead of buying an off the shelf, proven solution and getting, say, the existing Japanese diesel sub, why don't we ask the French to make a diesel version of their nuclear sub.

Yeah, that should work :rolleyes:

Mind you, if we did keep the contract we would likely get these subs at least 10 years before we get anything from the new deal. As Macron said - you have signed a deal which as it stands at the moment, gives us an 18 month look at what might be possible, good luck with that. At the moment we have no replacement for the Collins Class and at least 18 months before we even get to start working out what to replace them with.

But the bleating French can cry me a river. Wouldn’t trust what Macron says anymore than Morrison or Putin or the Chinese bloke Xi. They sold us a $90m dog no matter what anyone says. $90m for obsolete technology that was miles behind in all facets of the project stage and over budget as well. Not too mention the technology will be out of date by 20 years by the time a sub hits the water.

The biggest issue was signing the dog of a deal in the first place. That’s on the Turnbull government. It has been a *smile* show all around from go to whoa and Australia is copping the fallout for its incompetence in every facet. But the French can *smile* off with their bleating; they have not delivered in any shape or form. The contract termination should have been handled far more diplomatically but the French are far from blameless.

Australia made sure it was a dog deal. It was Australia, actually to be more specific the Liberal National grossly incompetent coalition government, which went out and pursued this deal. A deal to gerry rig a nuclear sub and make it into a diesel sub. F*cking stupid would be a compliment when describing this deal.

Plus, another thing they pointed out on 7.30 tonight. The deal involved sharing French strategic intelligence about their defence equipment and capabilities. Something the French have never done before, never. So, we sign a deal, we become privy to their intelligence and then throw the deal away . . . and we're surprised they're pissed off? I suspect we are only seeing a tame version of how pissed off they are, and they have very good reason to be upset. The Australian government lied to the French and double crossed them. If not for our relationships with important allies of the French their ambassador would not have returned and they would likely have just cut ties and imposed sanctions.

This is the single most incompetent government I have ever seen. They actually don't seem to understand what they have done.

DS

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Talk about do what we say, not what we do, 400 VIP's who are attending the COP26 climate summit rocked up in their private jets. :(

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
I get all that 22 but my point is that if $170 million was just added then it would be easy to see because it wouldn’t be in the budget papers the year before. If that happened it has been politically fast tracked
In the end all fundinghas a political element, no matter how bureaucratic the process that leads to the final decisions about how much, when, who, what. But the process employs a lot of people and I have faith that leads to a greater chance that the final decision is more likely a good one.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
A grotesque mix of hangers on, rent seekers and political wannabes is the headline of the Ages Euro correspondent.
a headline you'd expect from a Murdoch hanger on, rent seeker and political wannabe ... !

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Does it matter to us that China Premier is not there? Assume a deputy is there?

Is Turnbull there in an official govt capacity or busines reason?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Does it matter to us that China Premier is not there? Assume a deputy is there?

Is Turnbull there in an official govt capacity or busines reason?

China doesn't need their premier there, they did a deal with Australia and India to oppose the phase out of coal so our incompetent government will do their bidding.

DS

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Tim Smith doing his best to single handedly destroy the Vic Liberals at his press conference.

Refused to confirm Matthew Guy had told him he didn't want him to nominate for pre-selection, despite Guy saying it a presser the previous day.

Journos saying Guy's office furiously texting them during press conference to correct record.

Has to be a showdown looming where Guy will demand he resigns altogether.
He may very well be the most unlikeable Liberal there is. And it's a pretty big field. I suppose Porter probably takes the No.1 billing?