Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
That is like saying Labor should pass whatever corruption "watchdog" the libs eventually put forward, because it is better than nothing.
The Labor scheme was a long way from what the Greens wanted. They obviously believed they had a choice of passing bad legislation that would then never be improved, or not passing it and working towards a policy that would make a difference. They chose the later. The Libs then shifted massively to an anti climate change action stance and Australia has done nothing since.
The Greens are getting the blame for the Libs allowing the Queensland Nats, and the coal and gas industries to dictate their climate policies.

The Libs started heading in that direction whenAbbott came to power, the Greens sold out to them.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
The Greens voted against a scheme they thought was full of faults and would be ineffective. They could have compromised, but maybe Labor werent going to give anything they thought was worthwhile.
Shouldnt political parties vote against what they see as bad policy?
The main reason the Greens voted against the ETS was because the legislation was voted on just a few months before the next election. They did the dog act and played politics hoping to get more seats in the election.

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The Greens voted against a scheme they thought was full of faults and would be ineffective. They could have compromised, but maybe Labor werent going to give anything they thought was worthwhile.
Shouldnt political parties vote against what they see as bad policy?

Better to take a big step in the right direction rather than 5 steps backwards. History is quite clear here. The Greens *smile* up in a major way when it comes to the ETS and doing something to combat climate change.

Reactions: 4 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Better to take a big step in the right direction rather than 5 steps backwards. History is quite clear here. The Greens *smile* up in a major way when it comes to the ETS and doing something to combat climate change.
The last election, a greens tried to give me a how to vote card. I said no way never, not after you refused to support the ETS scheme.
His lip quivered, he dropped his head and looked at the ground.
He actually apologised when I left him with “ is Australia and the world better off now, almost 10 years later.”

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The trouble with the ETS scheme proposed by the ALP was that it gave massive subsidies to coal and, in doing so, avoided the really big issue which is reducing fossil fuels. The Greens really could not support such a compromised proposal and I doubt it would have made much difference.

Looks like a mistake in hindsight, maybe, but Labor's ETS really wasn't very good.

DS

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Looks like a mistake in hindsight, maybe, but Labor's ETS really wasn't very good.
It was politics. Greens making the ALP look silly in the hopes it would get the Greens more votes.

Was Labour's ETS proposal at the time better than we have now? Years on?

There is no maybe about it.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
It was politics. Greens making the ALP look silly in the hopes it would get the Greens more votes.

Was Labour's ETS proposal at the time better than we have now? Years on?

There is no maybe about it.

I get what you are saying but it ends up being a judgement call, and the Greens saw way too much support for coal in the ALP proposal. I reckon it was more than politics, politics involved for sure, but also the actual scheme was pretty on the nose from the perspective of taking real action on climate change. Also a judgement as to whether you could make the scheme more effective later, always tricky.

DS

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003

DS
It might not have been perfect, but along with the renewable energy target it would have have been better than nothing.
The Greens lost any credibility they may have had when they didn't pass the ETS.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
It might not have been perfect, but along with the renewable energy target it would have have been better than nothing.
The Greens lost any credibility they may have had when they didn't pass the ETS.
but the Greens didnt just think it wasnt "perfect", they thought it was bad policy.

and to blame the Greens for the disaster that the Libs are on climate change is ridiculous. We would have better environmental policies in this country if we werent run by the worst government in our history.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
but the Greens didnt just think it wasnt "perfect", they thought it was bad policy.
Rudd and the Greens were in favour of an EMT scheme at the 2007 election, even Howard said me too, me too !!!!
I believe the Greens should have supported the legislation even if it wasn't exactly what they wanted.
The rest is history.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Rudd and the Greens were in favour of an EMT scheme at the 2007 election, even Howard said me too, me too !!!!
I believe the Greens should have supported the legislation even if it wasn't exactly what they wanted.
The rest is history.
Saying "the Greens should have supported the legislation even if it wasn't exactly what they wanted." sounds like it was close to what the Greens wanted. It was not. they would have voted for legislation that they thought was bad legislation.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
maybe. but im guessing the Greens thought there was more chance of getting good policy by opposing the bad.

Maybe. But that's my point. They *smile* up and put Australia further back on the road to climate change.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Saying "the Greens should have supported the legislation even if it wasn't exactly what they wanted." sounds like it was close to what the Greens wanted. It was not. they would have voted for legislation that they thought was bad legislation.
Nah, it was just typical grubby politics, an election was due within months and they wanted to win more seats, the rest is history.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
No, it was a really s*** scheme, lots of subsidies to fossil fuels from what I remember.

As Brodders said, it isn't the Greens to blame for inaction on climate change, the blame falls squarely on the Lib/Nat COALition who have constantly, and still, support fossil fuel and doing nothing on climate change.

Do you seriously think the COALition would have let the Labor scheme continue once Abbott got in? They would have abolished it anyway.

DS

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Do you seriously think the COALition would have let the Labor scheme continue once Abbott got in? They would have abolished it anyway.

DS
Rudd's popularity fell when he spat the dummy and scrapped the ETS, he would have won the 2010 election if the ETS legislation had been passed.

Not sure Abbott's promise to abolish an ETS at the 2013 election would've gained the same traction as his promise to get rid of Gillard's Carbon Tax at the 2013 election.
It was Gillard's broken promise that got Abbott the traction he needed.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Nah, it was just typical grubby politics, an election was due within months and they wanted to win more seats, the rest is history.
No, the Greens actually worked with Labor after the next election to legislate better policies to protect the environment.

the Australian voters then decided to vote in a party that does not care about climate change. and the better policy was trashed.

those are the facts.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
No, the Greens actually worked with Labor after the next election to legislate better policies to protect the environment.

the Australian voters then decided to vote in a party that does not care about climate change. and the better policy was trashed.

those are the facts.

Nice. Greens good. Australian public bad.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Nice. Greens good. Australian public bad.
yeah, not quite what i am saying.
I just disagree with those who are blaming our current lack of climate change policies on the Greens because they opposed legislation they thought was bad 12 years ago, and then worked with Labor to bring in better legislation.
we had policies that would do more to protect the environment than the ETS would have, then the Libs were voted in and the policies were removed.