Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Debunking a long told Liberal Party lie.

Morrison will put spin on this story that Warnie & Zampa would be in awe of.

Jim Chalmers says the two highest-taxing governments of the past 30 years have been Coalition governments. Is that correct?​

So, what does the data show?​

The data shows that the Coalition under Mr Howard was the highest-taxing government of the last 30 years, with an average tax-to-GDP ratio of 23.5 per cent.

Over its first four years — prior to introducing the GST — that rate was 22.5 per cent.

[govts]
In second place was the current Coalition government, whose average rate was 22.2 per cent (excluding the 2021-22 financial year, for which only estimates are available).

The Hawke-Keating Labor government placed third, with an average rate of 21.8 per cent over its 13 years.

Rounding out the list was the Rudd-Gillard Labor government, with a rate of 20.9 per cent.

For context, Fact Check has also considered which prime ministers were the "highest taxing", finding that four of the top five belonged to the Liberal Party.

[PMs]

What the experts say​

Rankings aside, Mr Coates said it was unclear whether a higher or lower tax-to-GDP ratio signified good economic management.

But he said Australians "should probably … expect tax-to-GDP to rise in future", given increasing demand for services to support Australia's ageing population, for example.

Professor Freebairn also told Fact Check that the tax-to-GDP figures in themselves revealed little about economic management, and said the question was not just how much tax was being collected but whether it was being spent effectively.

He noted that while on the one hand taxes created some economic disincentives, "if you had no taxes, you'd have no overall legal system … no defence, … [and] no money spent on equity and redistribution".

Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Hmm, what is Perrottet cooking up, a raid on the GST.

I have always felt that we are massively over governed, that the only thing states are good for is state of origin football and the Sheffield Shield. However that is built on a presumption that we have a Government in canberra that actually governs and we don't have one at the moment.
This sort of state based cooperation would only be worthwhile if it included significantly reducing the massive waste of time and cost that the states and the Commonwealth incur doing business with each other and dealing with duplication and jurisdictional issues. I have no doubt that cost would be in the $billions p.a.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I have always felt that we are massively over governed, that the only thing states are good for is state of origin football and the Sheffield Shield. However that is built on a presumption that we have a Government in canberra that actually governs and we don't have one at the moment.
This sort of state based cooperation would only be worthwhile if it included significantly reducing the massive waste of time and cost that the states and the Commonwealth incur doing business with each other and dealing with duplication and jurisdictional issues. I have no doubt that cost would be the $billions p.a.

I've also felt that State Governments could be made redundant, or to have less power/control. But after the last 2 years of COVID, we should be thankful we had strong state governments in place that could counter that blatant Fed Government inability to properly manage the crisis.

Reactions: 5 users

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland

where the money is going

In Tasmania, so much money has been funnelled to the key seat of Braddon that it has received $1108 for every voter in the electorate. By contrast, Labor-held Franklin received $2.8 million, or $38 per voter.

turtles are being looked after
1639542039273.png

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
where the money is going

In Tasmania, so much money has been funnelled to the key seat of Braddon that it has received $1108 for every voter in the electorate. By contrast, Labor-held Franklin received $2.8 million, or $38 per voter.

turtles are being looked after
View attachment 14239

spending money on native turtles would have been a mistake.

they would have thought it was for gold plated hurdles,

or nativity infertiles.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Surely the Morrison Govt won't be re-elected at the next election, the most corrupt Govt ever.
If they do win the upcoming election, i'll go and live in the worlds Covid epicentre, wherever ever that may be.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
There's always been pork barrelling but they've gone the full Bertocchi. The whole hog. Shameless. The arrogance of their corruption is astounding. But not really surprising from a fervent believer, bunch of hypocrites in general.

I can't stand many of the lefts policies but I'll be looking for a change in direction. As many have pointed out Scomo is easily the worst leader Australia has had in living memory.

Reactions: 5 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
The contempt for the public is astonishing. He thinks he's untouchable.
Yes. There has always been pork barrelling but not to this extent. However the other difference is that he has admitted with his own words that what is allocated to an electorate depends on who your local member is.
Other leaders have denied pork barrelling or defended it, but not this PM. That is because he is so distanced from reality, so morally corrupt and so arrogant he literally doesn’t think it is wrong.

Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Surely the Morrison Govt won't be re-elected at the next election, the most corrupt Govt ever.
If they do win the upcoming election, i'll go and live in the worlds Covid epicentre, wherever ever that may be.

I'll buy you a beer at the Beach Hotel

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Yes. There has always been pork barrelling but not to this extent. However the other difference is that he has admitted with his own words that what is allocated to an electorate depends on who your local member is.
Other leaders have denied pork barrelling or defended it, but not this PM. That is because he is so distanced from reality, so morally corrupt and so arrogant he literally doesn’t think it is wrong.

as well as being corrupt, out of touch, and a god bothering chameleon *smile*,

he actually doesnt grasp the basics of democracy.

If he was a Rabbi, he'd be eating a bacon and egg roll on camera, and saying

'I never eat bacon' while wiping the grease off his shitlicking chin

• Haha