Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Morrison changes like the wind.

This a few hours ago.

"Prime Minister reacts to shock call"

"Prime Minister Scott Morrison was asked about the decision to grant Djokovic an exemption on Wednesday and pinned responsibility on the Victorian government."

“Well, that is a matter for the Victorian government. They have provided him with an exemption to come to Australia, and so we then act in accordance with that decision,” he told reporters.

Pressed on if he thought it was an appropriate call, Morrison added: “Well, that’s how it works. States provide exemptions for people to enter on those basis, and that’s been happening for the last two years. So there’s no change to that arrangement.

“The Victorian government made their decision on that. And so I’d have to refer to the Victoria Government about their reasons for doing so.”

A few hours later....................................

"The Prime Minister was asked by reporters on Wednesday afternoon if he personally supported the decision to grant Djokovic an exemption. He warned the tennis star could find himself “on the next plane home” if he can’t provide sufficient evidence as to why he is unable to be vaccinated.

“My view is that any individual seeking to enter Australia must comply with our border (rules) ... when he arrives in Australia,” Morrison said.

“He has to because if he’s not vaccinated, he must provide acceptable proof that he cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons and be able to access the same travel arrangements as fully vaccinated travellers.

“So we await his presentation and what evidence he provides to support that."

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Morrison changes like the wind.

This a few hours ago.

"Prime Minister reacts to shock call"

"Prime Minister Scott Morrison was asked about the decision to grant Djokovic an exemption on Wednesday and pinned responsibility on the Victorian government."

“Well, that is a matter for the Victorian government. They have provided him with an exemption to come to Australia, and so we then act in accordance with that decision,” he told reporters.

Pressed on if he thought it was an appropriate call, Morrison added: “Well, that’s how it works. States provide exemptions for people to enter on those basis, and that’s been happening for the last two years. So there’s no change to that arrangement.

“The Victorian government made their decision on that. And so I’d have to refer to the Victoria Government about their reasons for doing so.”

A few hours later....................................

"The Prime Minister was asked by reporters on Wednesday afternoon if he personally supported the decision to grant Djokovic an exemption. He warned the tennis star could find himself “on the next plane home” if he can’t provide sufficient evidence as to why he is unable to be vaccinated.

“My view is that any individual seeking to enter Australia must comply with our border (rules) ... when he arrives in Australia,” Morrison said.

“He has to because if he’s not vaccinated, he must provide acceptable proof that he cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons and be able to access the same travel arrangements as fully vaccinated travellers.

“So we await his presentation and what evidence he provides to support that."

Yep, would love it if the prick is turned back at the airport after a 17 hour flight.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yep, would love it if the prick is turned back at the airport after a 17 hour flight.

Yes, but he must have a visa, all visitors to Australia apart from New Zealand citizens must have a visa. He must have applied for, and been granted, a visa. So, I see no grounds for Border Force to deny him entry as he would also have had to obtain a Travel Restriction Exemption. On what grounds can they deny him entry after granting a visa and a travel restriction exemption? Plus, I doubt whether Border Force (there's a newspeak name if ever I saw one) can release the grounds for his exemption either as there would be privacy laws they have to abide by.

Morrison is just grandstanding and deflecting as applications for a visitor visa (probably some sort of work and holiday visa) would not have much at all to do with him. If Novax is allowed in the country it will only be because the visa rules and the vaccine exemptions relating to the travel restriction exemption allow him to enter the country.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
ABC presenter Fauziah Ibrahim's interview with Albanese this morning on News Breakfast was an absolute disgrace.
All she did was constantly talk over him & seemed to be reading from a script. Unprofessional & just plain rude.
What was going on there?

The ABC are under huge political pressure. They have been progressively hamstrung since Howard. The coalition hates scrutiny. Board stacked with right wingers, rolling annual funding cuts. Its a tragedy.

The other night 7.30 report with Laura Tingle was damning. In spite of all the above, how can you not be critical of the Fed Government after any rational logical analysis? She played it straight, lined up the facts, which was all she had to do. You could tell by her manner and tone she was being extremely careful.

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
She was not interested in any of Albos answers at all. That was disrespectful rubbish and becoming all too common on the ABC, let alone the other commercial networks who are even worse. But I expect better from the national broadcaster.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yes, but he must have a visa, all visitors to Australia apart from New Zealand citizens must have a visa. He must have applied for, and been granted, a visa. So, I see no grounds for Border Force to deny him entry as he would also have had to obtain a Travel Restriction Exemption. On what grounds can they deny him entry after granting a visa and a travel restriction exemption? Plus, I doubt whether Border Force (there's a newspeak name if ever I saw one) can release the grounds for his exemption either as there would be privacy laws they have to abide by.

Morrison is just grandstanding and deflecting as applications for a visitor visa (probably some sort of work and holiday visa) would not have much at all to do with him. If Novax is allowed in the country it will only be because the visa rules and the vaccine exemptions relating to the travel restriction exemption allow him to enter the country.

DS

that's not correct DS. Even with a valid visa Immigration and Border Force can turn you away if they are not satisfied with your documentation/explanations or conduct. A common example is people on tourist visas who say they are going to work. Nope, back you go.

Morrison may he grandstanding of course, that's probably right.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
that's not correct DS. Even with a valid visa Immigration and Border Force can turn you away if they are not satisfied with your documentation/explanations or conduct. A common example is people on tourist visas who say they are going to work. Nope, back you go.

Yep, medjia reporting this evening that Novax ticked a couple of wrong boxes n didn't have the necessary paperwork to back up his exemption claims.
Appears he's launched a legal challenge n his legal bloke tried to push the judge to hurry up his application n hearing.
Judge was slightly underwhelmed by the push n somewhat pissed that they were still not complying with presenting the required paperwork.

Poor Novax, stuck in hotel detention, Haaarrrrgggh.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Appears he's launched a legal challenge n his legal bloke tried to push the judge to hurry up his application n hearing.
Judge was slightly underwhelmed by the push n somewhat pissed that they were still not complying with presenting the required paperwork.
That's quick. I reckon there are a few hundred refugees stuck in camps who would love to know what it takes to bring their case before a full hearing in the federal courts over a Visa issue so quickly.

Reactions: 4 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
That's quick. I reckon there are a few hundred refugees stuck in camps who would love to know what it takes to bring their case before a full hearing in the federal courts over a Visa issue so quickly.
Obviously not famous or rich enough to get to the front of the queue.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Yes they can, but it is a condition for entry to Australia at present that you be vaccinated, and this is backed up by the immigration act which has provisions around disease and the safety of the Australian community. So, why was he granted the visa? If he wasn't asked to provide evidence of vaccination, why not? To say that he should be turned back at the border because they cancel his visa begs the question as to why he was granted the visa. I suspect if Novax can prove that he truthfully answered all the questions asked of him when he applied for the visa he may well have a case. I'd be pretty damned p1ssed off if I had a visa to enter a country and then they take away the visa on arrival on the basis of information which was not asked for in the original visa application.

Are the incompetent morons in Canberra seriously telling us they don't ask for COVID vaccination status in visa applications? That is what appears to be the case. It's nonsensical.

DS

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
To say that he should be turned back at the border because they cancel his visa begs the question as to why he was granted the visa.

And yet that happens all the time. People apply for and are granted a visa, but don't have the right supporting docs, or have the wrong visa for the purpose of travel, or lie to officials and get caught out. They have the visa cancelled and are denied entry to Australia.

I don't know the details of his case, and until it hits court I suspect none of us do, so it's all just wild speculation on the details at this point.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
With this government it's not a big leap to think they will cancel VISA's because it's politicly convenient. Jonny Depp and Shane Martin are just 2 examples.

I'd imagine every country would have a catch all "VISA can be cancelled at Government's discretion" clause.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
With this government it's not a big leap to think they will cancel VISA's because it's politicly convenient. Jonny Depp and Shane Martin are just 2 examples.

I'd imagine every country would have a catch all "VISA can be cancelled at Government's discretion" clause.

Yes, and at the discretion of the immigration/Border Farce officers too - if they think you are lying, for example. So you go into the little room.

For most people it ends there - they cop it and fly home. If you are rich and powerful you go to the courts for an injunction.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

I don't think it is that common to cancel a visa at the border, I also think it is gross incompetence to grant a visa without checking if the person meets the entry requirements. I know people cite Border Force here (yeah, peer reviewed??) but they would be highlighting the most dramatic cases and the couple of episodes I have seen mainly consist of people having stuff taken off them for reasons of quarantine (bloody good thing too).

Jonny Depp was all about his dog from memory and he was let into the country but the dogs had to go (there are very good reasons for this). Shane Martin was just the ridiculous guilt by association laws they brought in. In any case, Shane Martin, as an NZ citizen, would not have applied for a visa as NZ citizens don't need one.

DS

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I don't think it is that common to cancel a visa at the border, I also think it is gross incompetence to grant a visa without checking if the person meets the entry requirements. I know people cite Border Force here (yeah, peer reviewed??) but they would be highlighting the most dramatic cases and the couple of episodes I have seen mainly consist of people having stuff taken off them for reasons of quarantine (bloody good thing too).
Jonny Depp was all about his dog from memory and he was let into the country but the dogs had to go (there are very good reasons for this). Shane Martin was just the ridiculous guilt by association laws they brought in. In any case, Shane Martin, as an NZ citizen, would not have applied for a visa as NZ citizens don't need one.

DS

Yes, Depp and Martin were different cases, but my point stands that this Government has form in revoking Visas. Add to the fact Morrison is all about announcements and needs a distraction from hos RAT *smile* up, then it was always going to happen. If I remember correctly, Martin was stopped at the airport when he was flying in and sent back. Court ruled that the Government acted illegally so they changed the law.

This government is morally bankrupt.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yes, Depp and Martin were different cases, but my point stands that this Government has form in revoking Visas. Add to the fact Morrison is all about announcements and needs a distraction from hos RAT *smile* up, then it was always going to happen. If I remember correctly, Martin was stopped at the airport when he was flying in and sent back. Court ruled that the Government acted illegally so they changed the law.

This government is morally bankrupt.

Yep, it certainly is all about politics and ScoMo trying to deflect attention away from his long list of failings.

DS