Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
No doubt. It was a monumental *smile* up all around by TA, Commonwealth and State.

Interestingly there are some players criticising the lack of testing, Zverev is the latest.
On the news tonight it came out that the players were being provided with a daily rat test kit n then it was basically the old " honour " system. If you test yourself n maybe find out you've got covid, it'd be nice if you told someone n cancelled your tournament n possible up scaled pay cheque n sponsorship by defaulting out.
What was that Queen song again. Farcical, farcical. I want to ride my Farcicle, I want to ride my farce. Old mate Tiley reckons he's been doing a wonderful job. Phhhhhht.

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
As long as they've done the training n been licenced what's the problem?? It's not quite like they'll be doing 200 kph at 0300 in a 60kph zone while listening to doof n texting their mates.

It's a pretty drastic step when the current rules are you must be 18 to operate a forklift.

Are we gonna start hiring kids to drive taxis if there's an outbreak at Silvertop too?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
It's a pretty drastic step when the current rules are you must be 18 to operate a forklift.

Are we gonna start hiring kids to drive taxis if there's an outbreak at Silvertop too?
Not a drastic step at all. Kids in the USA still get car licences at 16. Sth Aust it's 17.
If they're competent, then they're competent. Seen plenty of *smile* driving cars, trucks n forks in their 30's 40's n 50's or older over the years.

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
If they can drive a car at 16 they can drive a tank at 16. Or fly a plane. Dunno why anyone bothers finishing year 12 actually, just learn to navigate a submarine when you're 15, if you're competent it's a piece of *smile*.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
How was the PM today in his presser almost begging the backpackers & foreign students to come back to Australia.
The day after travel warnings to Australia were announced..:cautious:

Not to mention how he trashed our reputation amongst international students back at the start of the pandemic and has made sure universities were screwed throughout the pandemic, 3 times they made sure universities couldn't get job keeper. Education is Australia's biggest service export and one of our biggest exports, and the government has trashed our reputation, who knows if we will ever get the students back. They are going to Canada, the USA, UK etc instead of coming here now.

It is beyond a bit rich for ScoMo to now ask international students to come to Australia. No-one will believe him.

DS

Reactions: 5 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
McGowan has decided to keep the WA border shut. Says the information on Omicron was wrong & won't put WA people at risk of the disaster what's happening elsewhere. Another massive slap to Morrison's National Cabinet Plan.

Am I reading this right that McGowan seems to thing that WA can avoid the massive spread of Omicron ? It will happen whether he opens the state in February, March or April. West Australians will get the virus.
If he is delaying to get the vaccination rate up or do some more preparation for the inevitable growth in infections then that’s perhaps understandable but I don’t read it this way.
Am I being unfair in criticism? He just seems to me to be expecting to be able to dodge this wave like he did with Delta but I can’t see how that is possible.

Reactions: 1 user

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
At least McGowan is having a crack at containment, unlike Domicron Petticoat and his health minister who basically said 'let it rip'

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Am I reading this right that McGowan seems to thing that WA can avoid the massive spread of Omicron ? It will happen whether he opens the state in February, March or April. West Australians will get the virus.
If he is delaying to get the vaccination rate up or do some more preparation for the inevitable growth in infections then that’s perhaps understandable but I don’t read it this way.
Am I being unfair in criticism? He just seems to me to be expecting to be able to dodge this wave like he did with Delta but I can’t see how that is possible.

Don’t know the details but if by delaying
* he gets to 80% triple dose
* all those under 11 get double dosed at least
* secures a war chest of RATS so they can manage testing better than anywhere else in Aus

maybe you could mount an argument I could agree with just on those three items, particularly if he allows travel for family or compassionate grounds

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
* secures a war chest of RATS so they can manage testing better than anywhere else in Aus

maybe you could mount an argument I could agree with just on those three items, particularly if he allows travel for family or compassionate grounds

Yeah. Most strategies now involve slowing the spread/case load enough to not overload health care systems further.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
McGowan is doing what he needs to do to protect his State. It's his job. I'm sure they've done the numbers and realised if they get infection and hospitalization rates like the East then his hospitals will collapse and even the vaccinated will be impacted.

*smile* "Let It Rip" just as the most contagious strain to date is found.

Under the common law, a person must have been grossly negligent in order to be found guilty of manslaughter. A manslaughter charge can be defended by arguing that the accused was not grossly negligent, did not do the alleged acts, or by arguing that the accused was acting in self-defence or under duress.

Morrison and Domicron might be able to plea under duress, but that's a stretch.

Last edited:

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv

That’s exactly what he’s trying to do as opposed to the bs strategies of the Federal government, other states and individual proponents of just blindly saying “ ah well we’re all vaccinated so let it rip…everyone’s gotta die of something.”

No wonder his personal approval rating is something like 85%.

Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
That’s exactly what he’s trying to do as opposed to the bs strategies of the Federal government, other states and individual proponents of just blindly saying “ ah well we’re all vaccinated so let it rip…everyone’s gotta die of something.”

No wonder his personal approval rating is something like 85%.

Hes entirely consistent with every other politician in modern democracy; lie through your teeth

'Everyone get double vaxed and well open on 5 feb, no turning back'

So everyone got double vaxed

And he turned back.

Young persons perspective: What is the point of playing by the rules,

If playing by the rules confers absolutely no advantage?

whats McGowans end game?

You reckon he'll be 85% approved when WA eventually open and half the State get Covid and everyone goes

'Well why didnt we do that a year ago?'

He keeps saying 'were watching what happens OverEast'.

(west australians love saying OverEast)

We'll OverEast is 95% double triple vaxed, and the hospitals are full and the economy is *smile*.

So whats he gonna? Whats the end game? Open up when all ironore miners gave had 12 vaccinations? go the full North Korea? let an opponent open up after he retires?

steve hocking has probably the best CV for politics in Australia i reckon.

Last edited:

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Hes entirely consistent with every other politician in modern democracy; lie through your teeth

'Everyone get double vaxed and well open on 5 feb, no turning back'

So everyone got double vaxed

And he turned back.

Young persons perspective: What is the point of playing by the rules,

If playing by the rules confers absolutely no advantage?

whats McGowans end game?

You reckon he'll be 85% approved when WA eventually open and half the State get Covid and everyone goes

'Well why didnt we do that a year ago?'

He keeps saying 'were watching what happens OverEast'.

(west australians love saying OverEast)

We'll OverEast is 95% double triple vaxed, and the hospitals are full and the economy is *smile*.

So whats he gonna? Whats the end game? Open up when all ironore miners gave had 12 vaccinations? go the full North Korea? let an opponent open up after he retires?

steve hocking has probably the best CV for politics in Australia i reckon.
He’s trying to avoid the *smile* storm that’s developed in NSW and Victoria and smooth the impending impact out instead. That’s patently obvious. If that means extending the date for border opening, I doubt many people in WA will hang him out to dry like you’re attempting. In fact, as Tigerman said, life’s been pretty good over there for the vast majority throughout the pandemic, and a decision like this would have next to zero impact on his popularity if not support it even further.

Reactions: 1 user