Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I thought I'd put this here rather than the US presidential thread, because it applies to all economies. It's funny, I was on youtube looking for the video of all the words that Trump horribly mangles when the first vid appeared in my recommendations, and wouldn't you know it, even though I'm no economist, what this (very rich) guy espouses is pretty much my thoughts, that is, that unchecked neoliberalism is backwards and self-destructive. Serendipitous.

This second vid begins with a warning about what will happen if inequality continues to rise. L2 has described Bernie as a revolutionary - well, a revolution will come, one way or the other. It doesn't have to be bloody, but history tells us it will be if rapacious psychopaths continue to squeeze the vast majority dry.

I encourage all involved in these discussions to watch both vids.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Spook, you are missing the point. Neo-Liberals don't think we should help each other, neo-liberals put forward the advice that we should all act individually to get ahead and screw everyone else. Inequality is good, screwing others is good, community is bad, cooperation is bad.

Doesn't matter that the economy might go up or down, all that matters is that you do well.

The guy above is right about one thing: it is all about power: economic power, political power etc.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
I thought I'd put this here rather than the US presidential thread, because it applies to all economies. It's funny, I was on youtube looking for the video of all the words that Trump horribly mangles when the first vid appeared in my recommendations, and wouldn't you know it, even though I'm no economist, what this (very rich) guy espouses is pretty much my thoughts, that is, that unchecked neoliberalism is backwards and self-destructive. Serendipitous.

This second vid begins with a warning about what will happen if inequality continues to rise. L2 has described Bernie as a revolutionary - well, a revolution will come, one way or the other. It doesn't have to be bloody, but history tells us it will be if rapacious psychopaths continue to squeeze the vast majority dry.

I encourage all involved in these discussions to watch both vids.
iu

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Coming from Captain Loony Tunes.
It was hilarious at the end where he was asked why doesn’t he live what he preaches and basically his response was yeah I’m a filthy hypocrite. For someone as smart as you, how could you fall for such blatant BS?

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
More dodginess:

Over the past year, the government has allocated nearly $5 billion through measures hidden from public view, bypassing the senate. Experts now warn this may be illegal.

Government spends ‘unlawful’ billions
The federal government is allocating billions of dollars in grants and making significant policy changes in a way that is likely unlawful, legal experts warn, using a mechanism that bypasses parliament and obscures decisions from public view.

Some of the Coalition’s own senators are starting to push back forcefully against the growing use of such regulations – also known as “delegated legislation” – to authorise a stream of government grants and other policy moves.

In the past 12 months, almost $5 billion was allocated this way – nearly half of that immediately before and after last year’s federal election. This does not include the hundreds of millions more dollars handed out through the Community Sport Infrastructure Grant Program – which is at the heart of the sports rorts scandal – and via other separate schemes across government.

One of Australia’s most eminent constitutional experts, Sydney University law professor Anne Twomey, says the legal authority for governing by regulation is increasingly flimsy, in most cases – especially when allocating public money.

“Effectively, the Commonwealth is spending potentially billions of dollars unlawfully,” Twomey told The Saturday Paper this week. “The way the system is set up is that the Commonwealth knows there is pretty much no one with an interest who is going to challenge this.”

Good old secrecy. Just what you want from a government.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
The boss of ASIO, Mike Burgess, is warning of the threat to national security of the rise of neo-Nazis.

"In suburbs around Australia, small cells regularly meet to salute Nazi flags, inspect weapons, train in combat and share their hateful ideology," he said.

Deeply disturbing.

Interesting article. Islamic extremists still the #1 threat; massive increase in espionage above even Cold War levels.

For the first time, the intelligence chief disclosed the case of an unspecified foreign intelligence service that had sent a sleeper agent to Australia.

"The agent lay dormant for many years, quietly building community and business links, all the while secretly maintaining contact with his offshore handlers," Mr Burgess revealed.

"The agent started feeding his spymasters information about Australia-based expatriate dissidents, which directly led to harassment of the dissidents in Australia and their relatives overseas."

According to Mr Burgess, the agent received "significant cash payments" in exchange for providing "on-the-ground logistical support for spies who travelled to Australia to conduct intelligence activities".

What do we reckon? China?

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Just watched the ABC news, it actually wasnt too bad and are now watching Griffs Great Australian Rail Trip, also pretty good.
But i want to alert you kind folk to A Albanese today or yesterday.
Labors great fluff at the last election from my point of view was being unable to answer questions on cost in relation to their policy or commentary on what their policy might be. The Aussie public told them to go and do some homework and come back when they had some answers.
Well, the Labor guys did come back with some answers but unfortunately recieved a fail as they just presented B Shortens homework from 2019.
Why would they follow the same path, get some answers please. Surely you solid dyed in the wool Labor posters can influence your leaders and give them some simple hints as you are so good at on these posts.
Come on do the right thing and help Albo.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Astonishing that the Andrews government is going ahead with the duck shooting season even after the massive loss of animal life from the bushfires.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Astonishing that the Andrews government is going ahead with the duck shouting season even after the massive loss of animal life from the bushfires.
It's very cruel, I wouldn't mind if they had a duck whispering season:D

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I don't think there is any doubt about that after what they wrote.
funny listening to Dutton talk about the equal threat of left wing extremism, like ISIS.
it must have really pained him that ASIO didnt mention any sort of left wing threat.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Astonishing that the Andrews government is going ahead with the duck shooting season even after the massive loss of animal life from the bushfires.
considering the Greens run this state, i dont know how this is happening.

mad decision, pandering to a minority who get pleasure out of shooting animals out of the sky.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Daffy was right, in Australia it should never be duck season and always be rabbit season. And fox season, and feral cat season, and feral pig season, and feral deer season. There are so many animals they could hunt that would actually do some good. Bad call, Dan.

Reactions: 4 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Ducks are menace to rice farmers. Woodies are certainly not even close to being endangered. The only bad thing about Duck Season is when you get your once a year hunters who think the opening is an excuse for a *smile* up. Though with the gun laws the way they are these days the dickheads are a lot fewer than they were before Howard brought the tighter laws in.