Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
the Libs sent out $750 cheques to many, and will do again soon, not means tested.
The Libs are giving workers pay rises by paying anyone eligible $750/week regardless of their previous income.

but yes, only Labor gave money for plasma TVs.
What these right wing dopes don't understand is stimulus money is meant to be spent, to keep the economy afloat.

Reactions: 1 user

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
you did call the fed government "splendid"......
True, it doesnt get used often enough.
Dont like the half glass empty approach to my world. It gets tiring and just spirals into what you read on this thread.
Chins up people it aint all bad.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
i reckon those you named are good journos (tho not sold on McDonald). They typically question the decisions of the government of the day, and question the opposition- this hard questioning is what leads right wingers to label the media as left wing- they are more accustomed to the nutters on Sky after dark and the Herald Sun.
These are not hard questions though thats the reality. Just rhetorical white noise from base level journalists on popular media outlets. Grab after grab of the same stuff.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
These are not hard questions though thats the reality. Just rhetorical white noise from base level journalists on popular media outlets. Grab after grab of the same stuff.
didnt you say you never watch the ABC??

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
True, it doesnt get used often enough.
Dont like the half glass empty approach to my world. It gets tiring and just spirals into what you read on this thread.
Chins up people it aint all bad.
you are right, it aint all bad. we have the ABC to at least ask the hard questions, even if the Libs refuse to answer them, and we will have an election again in a couple of years, and surely wont make the same mistake again.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
What these right wing dopes don't understand is stimulus money is meant to be spent, to keep the economy afloat.

The LIbs initially misunderstood what the issue was hence why they went down the stimulus method of giving people money to spend (same method that labour used in the GFC). The issue this time was never about stimulating the economy, essentially the recession we are currently in (and my view is it will be deep but short) is not economically driven (unlike the GFC) which is why I'm glad the Libs changed tack and went down the job protection / confidence route which is what JobKeeper is all about. This isn't about buying TV's etc, this is about protecting jobs so the rebound once Covid is over is swift and strong. No-one has seen a recession caused like this in our lifetime, so I do provide the Libs some allowance around the initial misunderstanding, and whilst Labour may have ultimately done the same thing around JobKeeper they most likely would have also made the same initial stimulus error, so I don't see why so many are making this a party discussion.

Ultimately the right thing has been done to protect jobs in the short term with the aim to make this recessions short with a strong rebound. If you want to look at a country that hasn't followed the same process, look at the US and look at their unemployment rates, I doubt their recovery will be anywhere near as strong as Australia.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Wouldnt the stimulus of giving money to spend result in purchases of cheap goods made overseas?
It helps the shopkeepers but not any producers or manufacturers.

The next wave of stimulus should concentrate on social housing, hospitals, schools.
Investment in research and science, so universities are less aimed at foreign students.

Hopefully most $ will be spent in swing seats

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Wouldnt the stimulus of giving money to spend result in purchases of cheap goods made overseas?
It helps the shopkeepers but not any producers or manufacturers.

The next wave of stimulus should concentrate on social housing, hospitals, schools.
Investment in research and science, so universities are less aimed at foreign students.

Hopefully most $ will be spent in swing seats

That's correct and that's why a lot of the stimulus (aside from the 2 lots of $750 to those already on certain benefits and to an extent the Coronavirus supplement) isn't designed to encourage additional spending like it would in a normal economic driven recession / downturn. The JobKeeper for example, goes to employees in replacement of ordinary wages (essentially a subsidy to businesses to retain employment). This is the exact type of stimulus that this crisis required. My personal view is I still don't really understand the 2 $750 stimulus payments that were made essentially to people that were largely excluded from the impacts of this downturn. It was a strange decision and the 1st $750 is what I was alluding to above that the Libs initially misunderstood the issue that Covid-19 has caused within the economy.

I'm not quite sure what the "stimulus" in your statement relates to relating to the next stage. Isn't that just an increase to social payments rather than stimulus? I agree with the investment in research and science as the impact on universities of this crisis has exposed the industry as being too overly dependent on overseas students.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
My thinking is the next phase of stimulus is building infrastructure, so building houses and schools. Upgrading emergency wards, build new ambulance depots...
Not social payments.
Of course that all requires time and extensive planning. The question is how quickly can govts ramp up this spending?

But which person would oppose an upgrade to a hospital or clinic - even if it doesnt include IC units?
Here is an opportunity to spend up big on hospitals, and a need to spend big

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
My thinking is the next phase of stimulus is building infrastructure, so building houses and schools. Upgrading emergency wards, build new ambulance depots...
Not social payments.
Of course that all requires time and extensive planning. The question is how quickly can govts ramp up this spending?

But which person would oppose an upgrade to a hospital or clinic - even if it doesnt include IC units?
Here is an opportunity to spend up big on hospitals, and a need to spend big
unfortunately this fed government will focus on reducing spending, workers protection, and environmental protections.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
unfortunately this fed government will focus on reducing spending, workers protection, and environmental protections.
They are too smart to miss an opportunity!
If they do it will be a regression and a missed chance.

After WW1 and then 2 it was evident that a nation should be able to build tanks and ships.
And that strong interlinked global relations can secure peace, resulting in the league of nations/UN and the European Union.

After this pandemic we should build a system that can sustain our nation.
In other words we can produce medical, food and other essential supplies - no panic buying of toilet paper!
Develop telecommunications capability so we dont rely on huawei or verizon etc
And reinforce global relations.
Thats the opportunity we have

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
They are too smart to miss an opportunity!
If they do it will be a regression and a missed chance.

After WW1 and then 2 it was evident that a nation should be able to build tanks and ships.
And that strong interlinked global relations can secure peace, resulting in the league of nations/UN and the European Union.

After this pandemic we should build a system that can sustain our nation.
In other words we can produce medical, food and other essential supplies - no panic buying of toilet paper!
Develop telecommunications capability so we dont rely on huawei or verizon etc
And reinforce global relations.
Thats the opportunity we have

Personal viewpoint is if they will use stimulus to promote construction / infrastructure spending, it would make sense to be working on developing industry growth in areas particularly exposed to reduced business activity in the coming years. There are several deepwater ports around Australia that are heavily exposed to coal exports which are likely to start to decline. If we are going to focus on construction I would prefer they would develop other industries in these areas to replace jobs lost from mining. An obvious one to me is around recycling. There is so much that can be done with regard to dealing with waste, from using methods of burning to generate power, or their are technologies out there that can generate fuel from end of use plastic, and there are even technologies that can take end of use plastics back to their core ingredients and enable them to go back into the plastics manufacturing process as new raw materials. Plastics only have a shelf life due to the manufacturing process but rather than re-use over and over and over again we tend to throw these things away.

There is a massive industry there to be taken on, and someone will do it at some point and I'd love to see Australia being the market leader. We have the land, we have the technical capabilities and this would be an excellent long term industry to focus on as our industries that are closer to their life cycle end than the start begin to slow down.

• Love

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
The High Court has ruled that the letters between the Queen and the Governor General in regards to Gough Whitlam's dismissal are Commonwealth records and not private correspondence.
The letters were available to be released 12 years ago, but there has been a strong push for them to be deemed as private letters.
I suspect that with the release of these letters, there will never be a better opportunity for this great country to become a Republic.

Hallelujah Brothers and Sisters, Hallelujah.

Last edited:
  • Love

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I can't believe I just hearted Mr P,s story on recycling. Weird times

Last edited:

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
at the risk of sounding like i am a biased lib basher, what a complete f up robodebt has been from the very start.
and what a complete f up Stuart Roberts is in general.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Another $700 million dollar "mistake" by the LNP, but they are the best with accounts apparently.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Another $700 million dollar "mistake" by the LNP, but they are the best with accounts apparently.
it wasnt a mistake- it is theft. despite numerous warnings of both the legality and ethics of their debt collection they pushed ahead.
And it appears Christian Porter, the now Attorney General, was the driving force behind its establishment.

Robodebt sits alongside the sportsrorts and numerous other complete stuff ups of this government.