Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Gladys cannot survive. The standards we walk past are the standards we accept. She cannot possibly remain as Premier.
That's nothing that isn't already assumed? If he is asked a question about her and it is revealed she was aware of his activities or contributed towards them she would be turfed out. Surely if he had something on her or she thought he would reveal she had knowledge she would have quit already?

Would be disappointing to lose one of the few liberal politicians with some smarts.

Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Disagree. LNP pollies are in it for themselves, Labor pollies are in it for the greater good. And Greens are in it for the trees.

I reckon the Politician who is there selflessly to make the world a better place is a bit of a thing of the past. Theres no question theres more self serving *smile* on the conservative side; anyone who disputes this is outing themselves as a fool for the very ideology makes it so;

But there are unquestionably, complete *smile* of every political persuasion.

There are far fewer *smile* amongst the greens, but the bozo index would possibly only be surpassed by one nation and clive palmer and shooters and fishers.

But, yes, Liberals beleive to their bootstraps, that its every man (sic) for himself

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Gladys is the #KoalaKiller

On her watch, our cuddly talisman is on the verge of functional extinction in her state.

As for Barilaro, the bloke's a crook. Love Friendly Jordies ripping both of them to shreds.

Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Most politicians are lying self serving miscreants.

Rules for thee but not for me.

Most of em on all sides and parties are bought owned and paid for by someone somewhere or are nothing more than agenda pushers owned or working for organisations not be operating in the best interests of the people.

Somewhere along the line in this world people have forgotten that these bastards "Work For Us"!!

We do not work for them!!!

Reactions: 3 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I present you Tim Smith..what an idiot.
This guy should spare us the crocodile tears and faux concerns for other people. Tim Smith is a moron of the highest level, a wannabe Trump copier who adds no value to anything that happens in this state.
The best thing the LNP could do is get him out

Reactions: 6 users

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
nope. G O N E

she actually seems a capable and borderline honest politician, driven partially by a sense of civic duty, as well as the usual ego

But she's surrounded by the usual collection of the crooked, incompetent and narcissistic.

and you really need to keep your pants on when leading that kind of mob, unfortunately.

NSW is the new Qld in terms of corruption, on both sides. Has been since the 90's.

Ummmm nope. Knew about many things. Appears to have taken cash, or let Maguire take cash, to give an audience to any number of Chinese business ppl. Got emails deleted before ICAC could get them etc etc etc.

Nothing honest.

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Too many career politicians.

Whatever happened to a Labor politician coming from a union where they worked in the industry, got elected as a delegate, worked their way into the leadership and then went into politics? Nowadays they come out of uni to some job in a union and then into parliament.

I couldn't care less about the union influence on the ALP (which is microscopic apart from the fact that ALP apparatchiks play their internal ALP games within unions) but I do care about how the internal politics of the ALP invade unions. Time to chuck the ALP out of unions.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Too many career politicians.

Whatever happened to a Labor politician coming from a union where they worked in the industry, got elected as a delegate, worked their way into the leadership and then went into politics? Nowadays they come out of uni to some job in a union and then into parliament.

I couldn't care less about the union influence on the ALP (which is microscopic apart from the fact that ALP apparatchiks play their internal ALP games within unions) but I do care about how the internal politics of the ALP invade unions. Time to chuck the ALP out of unions.

DS
Union influence on the ALP is not microscopic and that's because of money. The ALP relies enormously on donations from the Union movement.

The influence they have on the ALP is also disproportionate to the people they represent. Less than 15% of all workers in Australia are Trade union members.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Union influence on the ALP is not microscopic and that's because of money. The ALP relies enormously on donations from the Union movement.

The influence they have on the ALP is also disproportionate to the people they represent. Less than 15% of all workers in Australia are Trade union members.

Unions founded the Labor party. they should never separate. they are intertwined.

And it’s a travesty union membership has declined. This is due to the successful policies of the right. And just look at how the workforce has suffered as a result? About 50% is now casual or part time. And this policy has been exposed badly during COVID. I’ve been a union member all my working life, always will be.

I will also add that while 15% seems low, but its still more than enough to influence an election result.

Reactions: 6 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Unions founded the Labor party. they should never separate. they are intertwined.

And it’s a travesty union membership has declined. This is due to the successful policies of the right. And just look at how the workforce has suffered as a result? About 50% is now casual or part time. And this policy has been exposed badly during COVID. I’ve been a union member all my working life, always will be.

I will also add that while 15% seems low, but its still more than enough to influence an election result.
Ian I think the union movement has to ask why membership has declined so much in their own 4 walls because this a trend going back 50 years or more, it’s not just the policies of one section of our political spectrum although that is happening now. If the union movement thinks that is the only reason for their membership decline imo they will be missing the point which is that a large part of their potential membership base is moving away because they don't see value in membership.
I am a great believer in protection of workers and I totally agree that these rights have been eroded but the only way that will change is if there is meaningful dialogue with some understanding that workers need protection and companies need to make a profit. Great union figures like Bob Hawke recognised this with the pact between employers and unions in the 1980s.
Both sides of that discussion have to understand that this is about compromise. Businesses can't operate without workers and they need protection but equally businesses need to survive and make a profit or there won't be any employers!

Reactions: 5 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

I understand what you are saying but the union influence in the ALP is from union leaders who are more loyal to the ALP than to their union. Plus, they are even more loyal to their own position and their aspirations as politicians.

15% of the workforce makes unions pretty much the largest organisations in the country. More members than Churches etc. But what is even worse is look at the membership of political parties. Each major party would be lucky to have 10,000 members in each of NSW or Victoria yet they wield enormous influence.

DS

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Have you seen how many on the NSW LNP polies have voted against it?

Criminal stuff!

No I haven’t taken an interest.

IBAC are needing more money in Victoria. I hope Dan Andrews provides that in the budget. As we want to reduce corruption. Reality is they will most likely need to investigate the awarding of contracts with the private security firms as part of our quarantine program. Also will be watching with interest what happens with the former VLine CEO.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I understand what you are saying but the union influence in the ALP is from union leaders who are more loyal to the ALP than to their union. Plus, they are even more loyal to their own position and their aspirations as politicians.

15% of the workforce makes unions pretty much the largest organisations in the country. More members than Churches etc. But what is even worse is look at the membership of political parties. Each major party would be lucky to have 10,000 members in each of NSW or Victoria yet they wield enormous influence.

DS
yes, Political party membership is now abysmal in this country which is of course a commentary on the state of politics. Not all the unions in that 15% are actually labor party affiliated of course, although the majority would be.

My current antipathy towards the union movement in the ALP comes from two things really. One is that I want our political parties to represent me and my values and when they are aligned and heavily financially reliant on one section of the society I believe that is made more difficult ( I do accept that is true of the LNP as well btw) . The other is my view is coloured by my experience with trade unions over a long time. In the involvement I have had with them I have been increasingly disillusioned with them because I strongly believe there is a absolute need for a voice for the workers but that they are not representing that view well, at least from what I have seen.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
yes, Political party membership is now abysmal in this country which is of course a commentary on the state of politics. Not all the unions in that 15% are actually labor party affiliated of course, although the majority would be.

My current antipathy towards the union movement in the ALP comes from two things really. One is that I want our political parties to represent me and my values and when they are aligned and heavily financially reliant on one section of the society I believe that is made more difficult ( I do accept that is true of the LNP as well btw) . The other is my view is coloured by my experience with trade unions over a long time. In the involvement I have had with them I have been increasingly disillusioned with them because I strongly believe there is a absolute need for a voice for the workers but that they are not representing that view well, at least from what I have seen.

I'm lucky, my union is not affiliated. Gives union members more control over the union, you know, like it is supposed to be. Means we don't tend to get ALP flunkies parachuted into senior positions having never worked in the sector.

I would address the second point by removing the ALP from unions, then the members can push for the leadership they need and deserve. Not a perfect solution but it would go some way. Members need to wrest control, believe me I know how hard this can be.

DS

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
How the *smile* is Gladys still Premier? She was in an intimate relationship with a crook for 6 years! I’m not calling her a criminal but at the very least she is not fit to hold that position. Testimony damning again today.

Also the Lib deals of the $30m sale for a $3m piece of land now subject to a police investigation.

Bloody hell the fish rots from the head..

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
It's a shame, she's obviously a highly competent premier if we exclude all of this drama. But it's going to be very hard for her to survive this and given the allegations she should step down.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
How the *smile* is Gladys still Premier? She was in an intimate relationship with a crook for 6 years! I’m not calling her a criminal but at the very least she is not fit to hold that position. Testimony damning again today.

Also the Lib deals of the $30m sale for a $3m piece of land now subject to a police investigation.

Bloody hell the fish rots from the head..
Not disagreeing but the dodgy land deal was the Feds

I don’t know the rules in the federal public sector but as a comparison in the state public sector there is no way that a deal that size could be done without an independent valuation by the valuer general and to buy above that value would require a Minister’s approval at a minimum. This argument that the Libs are trotting out that it was the bureaucrats who stuffed up smells really bad.

Last edited: