Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
The whole living on Mars is just a marketing ploy by Elon Musk. He doesn't use standard marketing, he IS the marketing. Cult of personality.

So when he talks about sending people to Mars he's really just drawing attention to his own businesses.

NASA has been pushing the Mars barrow for almost 50 years, I recently read book about Neil Armstrong & it was part of Nasa's agenda way back in the late 60s early 70s. Musk is very much a late comer to the equation.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
NASA has been pushing the Mars barrow for almost 50 years, I recently read book about Neil Armstrong & it was part of Nasa's agenda way back in the late 60s early 70s. Musk is very much a late comer to the equation.

Yes, there's always the assumption that we can solve these problems when the time comes, which may be true! Anyone who thinks we can burn this planet then terraform Mars to make it habitable is nuts though. This place is the best place in the universe to live, for us.

And I say this as a scifi nut who loves the idea of interstellar travel.

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Howard at least had a vision - a selfish, insular vision, but he was effective at pursuing it.

Abbott didn't really have vision, just a desire to return to the values of the British Empire, but he was at least passionate about it.

Turnbull had a vision to turn the Libs towards an environmentally conscious future - couldn't get it done, but now the LNP have admitted they have to go that way after wasting the last decade on denialism.

But ScoMo really is the proverbial hollow man. Barbeques, fake cooking at home pictures, that's all he's got. The most vacuous, meaningless campaign promise of all time.

And he's done nothing since, so he's lived up to that promise.

Reactions: 5 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Howard at least had a vision - a selfish, insular vision, but he was effective at pursuing it.

Abbott didn't really have vision, just a desire to return to the values of the British Empire, but he was at least passionate about it.

Turnbull had a vision to turn the Libs towards an environmentally conscious future - couldn't get it done, but now the LNP have admitted they have to go that way after wasting the last decade on denialism.

But ScoMo really is the proverbial hollow man. Barbeques, fake cooking at home pictures, that's all he's got. The most vacuous, meaningless campaign promise of all time.

And he's done nothing since, so he's lived up to that promise.
I think we have forgotten how bad abbott was.

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I think we have forgotten how bad abbott was.

Agree, but it's sad that after the horror & embarrassment that was Abbott, we have another PM that's arguably worse. We've learnt nothing,

Reactions: 2 users

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Tingle's article makes the good point that now NSW has eliminated quarantine for international travellers, any money spent in building quarantine centers anywhere has been effectively thrown away.

Good job Scumo and Parrothead!!!

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Thanks...the (fiiscally) Free Press to the rescue.
And good lurk for Tingle...she writes an article as part of her contractural obligations for ABC and then AFR pay her for the same piece of work.
She needs to get some tuition from her bloke Sam Neill on how to engage with a camera. Her eyes dart all over the place anywhere but right at it. Very distracting.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Tingle's article makes the good point that now NSW has eliminated quarantine for international travellers, any money spent in building quarantine centers anywhere has been effectively thrown away.

Good job Scumo and Parrothead!!!
Thought we will need them for the next virus. But surely you don't advocate maintaining quarantine simply so money isn't wasted? And borders were going to open long before the centres were finished so it was bad policy from day one. But now we are going to get them Think of them as a desalination plant, break glass in emergency.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Thought we will need them for the next virus. But surely you don't advocate maintaining quarantine simply so money isn't wasted? And borders were going to open long before the centres were finished so it was bad policy from day one. But now we are going to get them Think of them as a desalination plant, break glass in emergency.

Yeah we might need them in future 22. And no, as soon as we are vaccinated, we open up. The education and tourism industries have suffered enough.

Good analogy with the Desal.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I reckon we keep the quarantine stations (unlike the ones we closed back in the 1980s(?) figuring we would never need them) for any future pandemics. I'm sure they can be put to a good use and when another pandemic happens we can do proper quarantine, avoid lockdowns and control any virus coming in using quarantine. It is insane for a country like Australia not to have quarantine facilities. It can work in an island nation, but not if you use hotels with shared air conditioning to quarantine for a respiratory virus.

DS

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
The issue with the quarantine stations is that blind Freddy could see that we needed them last year - if they had started the build in July / August they would have been operational at the beginning of this year - that’s the issue and the fact Scomo and the Feds did nothing is the sad part - hand balled our international borders to the States cause he didn’t want to cop any flack if they didn’t work.

Leadership avoidance at its best.

Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The issue with the quarantine stations is that blind Freddy could see that we needed them last year - if they had started the build in July / August they would have been operational at the beginning of this year - that’s the issue and the fact Scomo and the Feds did nothing is the sad part - hand balled our international borders to the States cause he didn’t want to cop any flack if they didn’t work.

Leadership avoidance at its best.

Yep, but the Feds are too incompetent to do anything quickly, except an announcement.

DS

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
And good lurk for Tingle...she writes an article as part of her contractural obligations for ABC and then AFR pay her for the same piece of work.
She needs to get some tuition from her bloke Sam Neill on how to engage with a camera. Her eyes dart all over the place anywhere but right at it. Very distracting.
She has split from Sam .

Laura is not the best media performer I agree.