Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Agree, but it's sad that after the horror & embarrassment that was Abbott, we have another PM that's arguably worse. We've learnt nothing,
If you think through what happened Baloo it is a commentary on the dysfunction of the Liberal party. They had a PM who was at least not on the nose in the electorate in Turnbull but was a weakened captive of his party and was unable or unwilling to make any decisions that rocked the boat because his hold on the leadership was so tenuous. In the end we didn't know what he stood for because he couldn't get anything done and became almost a lame duck.
So they booted him out and had a choice between a pragmatist survivor in Julie Bishop who had flip flopped for years and had no real base of support in the Party ( plus she is a woman) , Dutton who would have been even worse than Abbott and was ( and still is) hated by the centrists in the Liberal party and the Bradbury choice of Morrison who stood for nothing, was not really supported by anyone but wasn't Dutton.

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
If you think through what happened Baloo it is a commentary on the dysfunction of the Liberal party. They had a PM who was at least not on the nose in the electorate in Turnbull but was a weakened captive of his party and was unable or unwilling to make any decisions that rocked the boat because his hold on the leadership was so tenuous. In the end we didn't know what he stood for because he couldn't get anything done and became almost a lame duck.
So they booted him out and had a choice between a pragmatist survivor in Julie Bishop who had flip flopped for years and had no real base of support in the Party ( plus she is a woman) , Dutton who would have been even worse than Abbott and was ( and still is) hated by the centrists in the Liberal party and the Bradbury choice of Morrison who stood for nothing, was not really supported by anyone but wasn't Dutton.

Turnbull lost me when he took Rudd's NBN plan and crippled it to keep News Ltd's investment in cable TV safe from competition. Actually, it was Abbott that crippled it, but when Malcolm in the Middle took over he kept it crippled.

But while what you say is all true, the impact of a global media empire that's so brazen in it's conservative agenda that it can produce lies and overtly biased coverage so shamelessly is massive. It suits News Ltd, and other large groups like the Coal industry etc, to have a Leader like Morrison who can be easily bought and has no shame. There can't be much doubt now that Morrison is a sociopath, if not a psychopath.

Reactions: 3 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Turnbull lost me when he took Rudd's NBN plan and crippled it to keep News Ltd's investment in cable TV safe from competition. Actually, it was Abbott that crippled it, but when Malcolm in the Middle took over he kept it crippled.

But while what you say is all true, the impact of a global media empire that's so brazen in it's conservative agenda that it can produce lies and overtly biased coverage so shamelessly is massive. It suits News Ltd, and other large groups like the Coal industry etc, to have a Leader like Morrison who can be easily bought and has no shame. There can't be much doubt now that Morrison is a sociopath, if not a psychopath.
Agree, I remember when the LNP was in opposition and Turnbull was rabbiting on about a business case and ROI for the NBN plan with fibre to the home. He was talking like an investment banker rather than a national leader.

I recall posting at the time musing what the Business case for railways would have looked like 100+ years ago? Taking an investment banker view to critical national infrastructure like the NBN was always flawed and was pure politics and Turnbull and everyone else in the LNP didn't have the intestinal fortitude to admit they were wrong.

Every time my streaming service doesn't work when it rains I curse Turnbull.

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Agree, I remember when the LNP was in opposition and Turnbull was rabbiting on about a business case and ROI for the NBN plan with fibre to the home. He was talking like an investment banker rather than a national leader.

I recall posting at the time musing what the Business case for railways would have looked like 100+ years ago? Taking an investment banker view to critical national infrastructure like the NBN was always flawed and was pure politics and Turnbull and everyone else in the LNP didn't have the intestinal fortitude to admit they were wrong.

Every time my streaming service doesn't work when it rains I curse Turnbull.

Agree, the NBN is a joke and we knew it would be a joke the minute they changed from fibre to the premises.

My NBN slows down and drops out with rain, wind etc.

Who ever thought that 19th century technology (HFC - the C is for coaxial which was patented in the late 19th century, yes, well over 100 years ago) was going to be good enough for 21st century technology? Only a moron would think that.

I just got an email (working from home) asking if I had answered an earlier email. I had and couldn't work out why the email wasn't received. Oh, look in the Out Box in Outlook, none of my emails today have sent. The NBN is so useless it can't even cope with sending pissy little emails.

We all knew this was woefully inadequate, there were articles in the paper from telecommunications engineers telling them what a joke this is, yet the coalition government went ahead and installed a dodgy NBN which we will now have to pay to get upgraded to something useful.

F*cken Idiots.

DS

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Golden Gladys facing the blowtorch at the ICAC investigation today.

Why did you keep the 5 relationship with dodgy Daryl quiet Gladys?
Does she seriously expect us to believe that dirty pillow talk with her corrupt boyfriend wasn't taking place?
What an absolute disgrace.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I just got an email (working from home) asking if I had answered an earlier email. I had and couldn't work out why the email wasn't received. Oh, look in the Out Box in Outlook, none of my emails today have sent. The NBN is so useless it can't even cope with sending pissy little emails.
If you're getting emails but not sending, I don't think that's an NBN issue.

• Haha

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
If you're getting emails but not sending, I don't think that's an NBN issue.

I figure the emails banked up because of an outage when I tried to send the first one (it does drop in and out a lot). So, I'm thinking NBN issue combined with having to use Outlook. Can't think of any other explanation, the NBN drops out way more than ADSL ever did as the speed increase is marginal.

In any case, fibre to the node and rubbish the rest of the way is crap.

DS

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
How's this report that's been revealed by ICAC? Damning evidence against Golden Gladys.

Plus that they are discussing targeting marginal seats rather than those most in need is also disgraceful.

1634693353524.png

Last edited:
  • Angry
  • Wow

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Reactions: 6 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
How's this report that's been revealed by ICAC? Damning evidence against Golden Gladys.

Plus that they are discussing targeting marginal seats rather than those most in need is also disgraceful.

View attachment 13922
Out of interest who dothese names belong too? Nigel? Ayres?

Other than Maguires tryst with Gladys, do you think that other grants don't also get madewith similar levels of assessment? Maybe even grants awarded to RFC. If you want to take politics out of government what do you you end up with?

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
Out of interest who dothese names belong too? Nigel? Ayres?

Other than Maguires tryst with Gladys, do you think that other grants don't also get madewith similar levels of assessment? Maybe even grants awarded to RFC. If you want to take politics out of government what do you you end up with?

Not sure who Nigel is but Stuart Ayres is the other minister in hot water for pushing these grants through without merit. What do you mean "belong to"?

Personally I think ministerial discretion should be abolished or at least require far greater scrutiny when it does occur. Why would you employ heaps of beurocrats to research which projects should be funded just for the minister to rip up the report and fund based on targeting seats? Are you saying this should be normalised? Because the ICAC proceedings are demonstrating why it shouldn't be and I'm finding the whole proceedings rather refreshing. Would be simply wonderful to have a similar system at federal level.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Government claims to want transparency yet.....

I must have missed the point where the government claimed to want transparency, they seem very unenthusiastic.

DS

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yep, that's what is so frustrating, the Murdoch media will get them over the line again.

The critical factor last election was Clive Palmer spending tens of millions on advertising in marginals in Qld - these seats would have flipped to labor and history would have been different. United Australia only got a few percent but with preferences to the LNP that made the difference.

He did that not to win seats but as a quid pro quo for his nickel mine license which the LNP duly delivered.

Nothing technically illegal but in real terms Palmer bought the last federal election.

Reactions: 4 users