Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Yep, it certainly is all about politics and ScoMo trying to deflect attention away from his long list of failings.

DS

But in Novax's case, most Australians really wouldn't care. He should never have got an exemption in the first place. I guess this is a classic case of two wrongs do make a right

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I don't think it is that common to cancel a visa at the border, I also think it is gross incompetence to grant a visa without checking if the person meets the entry requirements. I know people cite Border Force here (yeah, peer reviewed??) but they would be highlighting the most dramatic cases and the couple of episodes I have seen mainly consist of people having stuff taken off them for reasons of quarantine (bloody good thing too).

Jonny Depp was all about his dog from memory and he was let into the country but the dogs had to go (there are very good reasons for this). Shane Martin was just the ridiculous guilt by association laws they brought in. In any case, Shane Martin, as an NZ citizen, would not have applied for a visa as NZ citizens don't need one.

DS

In my younger days had a Japanese girlfriend who was studying in Australia turn up at Brisbane airport only to be deported immediately as her college had reported her to DepEd - she hadn't attended classes earlier that year.

She was fine too :cry::cry::cry:

Immigration are pretty skilled at picking up people on tourist visas who admit they might work the odd job here and there. It happens all the time DS.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
In my younger days had a Japanese girlfriend who was studying in Australia turn up at Brisbane airport only to be deported immediately as her college had reported her to DepEd - she hadn't attended classes earlier that year.

Immigration are pretty skilled at picking up people on tourist visas who admit they might work the odd job here and there. It happens all the time DS.
With businesses struggling to get employees because of the high COVID numbers, I reckon Border Force might soon be told to turn a blind eye. That is if tourists were being allowed to come to Australia.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Article in today's Murdochracy mentioned that Visa applications are filed online n I'm guessing then automatically approved if you've ticked all the happy boxes. It's then a matter of Border Farce checking if you've lied or not when you arrive at the front door.
Novax Djerkovitch being a famous and strident anti vaxxer obviously raised some red flags when he lobbed at the door with an invite from Tiley to come n play because he'd fudged some blind date testing that obviously failed to meet the necessary invite criteria.
Waste of time n tax payer money going through court proceedings to try n fudge this bloke through the system, should just *smile* him back off home n send Tiley along with him for trying to fudge him through.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003

I friend of mine represented a Brazilian backpacker whose visa was cancelled and she was jailed and fined over a trivial matter, some food. It was 10 years ago, He won and got costs. He worked for a community legal centre so the took the case because she had no money. One aspect of her defence that didn't hurt her case was that she presented extremely well in front of the judge.

• Love

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Government commits to $3.5 Billion in Tanks .... !! ??

Meanwhile .....

I have no idea what purpose they will serve. If my memory serves, when we last bought the earlier version of these tanks it was pointed out that they were too large to fit on any boats we have. Figure the same is true of the newer version.

If they want tanks at least purchase tanks we can use.

DS

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I have no idea what purpose they will serve. If my memory serves, when we last bought the earlier version of these tanks it was pointed out that they were too large to fit on any boats we have. Figure the same is true of the newer version.

If they want tanks at least purchase tanks we can use.

DS
I think Scomos idea is to put em on the new subs. No one else thought of that!!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Government commits to $3.5 Billion in Tanks .... !! ??

Meanwhile .....
And in completely unrelated and totally non-conflict of interest news, Angus Taylor, Christian Porter, Barnaby Joyce and Gerry Harvey have recently become executives in a Tank Building start-up..

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Australia hasn't used tanks since 1971. Smells like the US had some to offload and told us to take them.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
We've all been witness to the incompetence and complete inability to plan by this government in the COVID pandemic. Only yesterday there was the ABC report from an infectious diseases expert that they were told in August 2021 of the need to shift to RAT tests and order them back then. The whole Djokavic saga could have been prevented if they had actually assessed his visa application, as the former deputy head of immigration agreed on 7.30 tonight. Then you add in the warnings months before the pull out from Afghanistan, that they needed to get those who worked with the Australian military out of the country, well before the troops left, or they would be in imminent danger.

In none of these instances did the Federal LNP government do anything, and each situation just blew up in their faces and they cried about how they could not possibly anticipate what they had been warned about months earlier.

The sheer incompetence of this mob is a sight to behold, they have to go.

DS

Reactions: 6 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
We've all been witness to the incompetence and complete inability to plan by this government in the COVID pandemic. Only yesterday there was the ABC report from an infectious diseases expert that they were told in August 2021 of the need to shift to RAT tests and order them back then. The whole Djokavic saga could have been prevented if they had actually assessed his visa application, as the former deputy head of immigration agreed on 7.30 tonight. Then you add in the warnings months before the pull out from Afghanistan, that they needed to get those who worked with the Australian military out of the country, well before the troops left, or they would be in imminent danger.

In none of these instances did the Federal LNP government do anything, and each situation just blew up in their faces and they cried about how they could not possibly anticipate what they had been warned about months earlier.

DS

Yeah, but we're getting new Tanks and Submarines. How good it that?!?!?!

• Haha

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland

DS
And lets not forget when it was found that Slomo had refused to meet with a group of expert experienced firies in the year before the tragic bushfires in 2019/20 who wanted to warn him of the danger of the coming fire season, and the need to procure additional resources. "I prefer to talk with people who aren't retired"

As we go from one disaster to the next, some forget how completely out of his depth this bloke is, then get surprised when he *smile* up the next one

Reactions: 7 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Nice to see #ScottyNoHose distancing himself from the Novax decision. When asked about Novax's Visa, our Commander In Chief said:

“These are personal ministerial powers able to be exercised by Minister Hawke and I don’t propose to make any further comment at this time.”