Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
"The Australian Government will be responsible for leading the implementation of the COVID-19 vaccination program for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people"

So simple hey. Old people and indigenous people, the same thing.
Read your link in conjunction with state plans as it is designed.
The states and territories did the implementation uniquely, therefore owning the implementation and results of the programs.
The Pilbara in particular is woefully under vaccinated, unfortunately with the indigenous population overrepresented.
A one trick pony missed a few gates to encourage vaccination participation over the 2 year journey, now it's detrimental to the state and unfortunately to those who remain unvaxxed.
It's quite sad actually.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
P
Doesn’t appear to be many business owners on PRE. Most couldn’t give a *smile* about businesses struggling. Either public servants or getting paid regardless. Easy to have a health focus when you’re not financially impacted. Good luck to them.
There is a balance MDJ, these two things can go together. A balanced approach where if decisions are made that hurt businesses then there has to be support for them. Business support was ripped away too quickly in Australia.

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
And I’m saying why would they be boxing themselves in ? They simply aren’t. They’re just being as judicious as they can be and quite frankly, they’ve been damn good at it to date. They can open borders any time.

And why are you deflecting to the ABC reporting “something” (whatever it is) about 80% ? I’ll repeat: Mark Macgowan has NEVER said borders opening is contingent upon reaching 80% triple vax. Never.

Macgowan has every right to use the border lever. He’s got the runs on the board, has a constituency backing him to the hilt, and yes finally you’ve got there - he’s trying to buy time to get to get the triple vax rate UP (not 80%) so that he can protect the vulnerable before opening back up in full. He doesnt want the stats we’ve got and he wants to apply what caution he can - regardless of whether it works or not. That’s the responsibility he’s charged to govern with so good on him I reckon. Again, nothing more than a judicious approach I would have thought.
As I have said the concern I have is that McGowan has had one approach which is fortress WA and whilst that has been successful there has to be a time when WA has to open.
When is that ? We don’t know because he wants a high 3rd dose rate and high vaccination rates have always been set at 80% and 90% in this country, anything less has always been seen as not effective enough.
My opinion is that there is a very real possibility that WA will be locked away for months more and then it opens there will be a massive spread of omicron anyway.
As I have also said, it is an opinion !!!!

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
So simple hey. Old people and indigenous people, the same thing.
Read your link in conjunction with state plans as it is designed.
The states and territories did the implementation uniquely, therefore owning the implementation and results of the programs.
The Pilbara in particular is woefully under vaccinated, unfortunately with the indigenous population overrepresented.
A one trick pony missed a few gates to encourage vaccination participation over the 2 year journey, now it's detrimental to the state and unfortunately to those who remain unvaxxed.
It's quite sad actually.

The Morrison governments let it rip approach is a disgrace, our elderly in aged care deserve to be treated so much better than the way they are.
It would appear to me that Morrison deems them to be expendable.

As COVID-19 case numbers rapidly increase across the country, 82 per cent of those surveyed said their aged care facility was not ready for the wave of infections.

"The prime minister rejected claims the government had implemented a "let it rip" approach to the virus following the high case numbers across the country.

"I'd describe it more as a pushing through. I mean, we do have public health social measures in place ... we also have a very practical understanding of how the Omicron variant works."

By Peter de Kruijff

January 18, 2022 — 5.00am

"About 40 per cent of WA’s Indigenous population lives in the city, but the rest of the state has also lagged with its regional vaccination rate at 53 per cent for two doses.
The vaccination rollout started in February with Indigenous people among the first cohorts to be eligible but first-dose rates were only around 20 per cent as late as September across WA.

The federal government was supposed to be responsible for the vaccine rollout to Australia’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander population but increasingly the WA government and mining companies like Rio Tinto got involved to lift vaccination rates."

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
You do know that Rio is a pommy company? It's not yet like Vegemite which was Aussie, then wasn't but now is again Australian.
English-Australian company. Dual listed on LSE and ASX. Pommy and Aussie to its bootstraps going back over 100 years. (It used to be called RTZ-CRA, A standing for Australia). The internal politics for control has wavered over the decades between the 2 countries. 2nd biggest mining company in the world behind the other dual listed UK/Aus behemoth BHP.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
P

There is a balance MDJ, these two things can go together. A balanced approach where if decisions are made that hurt businesses then there has to be support for them. Business support was ripped away too quickly in Australia.
Agree there has to be a balance.

The vast majority of people do not get ill from this virus, its very easy to understand a level of frustration regarding restrictions and closures. And when you get given dates regarding re-opening and make plans (business can't just switch on and off overnight) it is extremely distressing. The mental health challenges are immense. We don't get daily updates on that.

We must do our best to protect the vulnerable but the veneration of McGowan is over the top IMO.

I never fail to be surprised by people expecting so much from governments. Have a look at the candidates in all parties. The LNP are clearly leading the race to the bottom but there are plenty of hacks in all parties.

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Decent site tracking all the polls in Oz.

Thanks for that, great site

Labor will need a decent lead pre election as we know that the theme of the election will be that they will take away your freedom, steal your superannuation, flood the country with nasty boat people and spend all your hard earned money whilst bankrupting the country.

Reactions: 2 users

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
I know what hes attempting, and why hes attempting it.

But its like putting lipstick on gina rhinehart
The vast majority in WA won’t give a rats coz up until now they’ve been dating Jennifer Hawkins and not Gina Rhinehart.
One of my W.A. mates reckons Gina is "smiling" Gorgeous! :ROFLMAO: I nearly fell off the couch.

Considering that my mate's missus is a pretty good sort, I'm thinking the attraction to Gina just might be financial.

• Wow

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
One of my W.A. mates reckons Gina is "smiling" Gorgeous! :ROFLMAO: I nearly fell off the couch.

Considering that my mate's missus is a pretty good sort, I'm thinking the attraction to Gina just might be financial.
Pretty sure they all look the same in the dark. Just don't go out walking in the daylight.

• Haha

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
The Morrison governments let it rip approach is a disgrace, our elderly in aged care deserve to be treated so much better than the way they are.
It would appear to me that Morrison deems them to be expendable.

As COVID-19 case numbers rapidly increase across the country, 82 per cent of those surveyed said their aged care facility was not ready for the wave of infections.

"The prime minister rejected claims the government had implemented a "let it rip" approach to the virus following the high case numbers across the country.

"I'd describe it more as a pushing through. I mean, we do have public health social measures in place ... we also have a very practical understanding of how the Omicron variant works."

By Peter de Kruijff

January 18, 2022 — 5.00am

"About 40 per cent of WA’s Indigenous population lives in the city, but the rest of the state has also lagged with its regional vaccination rate at 53 per cent for two doses.
The vaccination rollout started in February with Indigenous people among the first cohorts to be eligible but first-dose rates were only around 20 per cent as late as September across WA.

The federal government was supposed to be responsible for the vaccine rollout to Australia’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander population but increasingly the WA government and mining companies like Rio Tinto got involved to lift vaccination rates."

So the Feds were going to turn up to Jigalong to administer the shots were they? Oh dear Tigerman.
If only the indigenous read the link from you, maybe they would have understood the federal government views them as a priority and therefore would be waiting for the feds to start the jabs. Because that's the issue.
The feds and the state gov have made available to all the chance to get vaccinated, so I support the policy regarding the indigenous focus as should all aussies. The fact that individuals have not taken the opportunity to get the vaccination cannot be blamed on the government. No more in the indigenous population than any other.

Last edited:

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
English-Australian company. Dual listed on LSE and ASX. Pommy and Aussie to its bootstraps going back over 100 years. (It used to be called RTZ-CRA, A standing for Australia). The internal politics for control has wavered over the decades between the 2 countries. 2nd biggest mining company in the world behind the other dual listed UK/Aus behemoth BHP.
I forgot to mention royalties TS, we get them too. Franked dividends and royalties.
So I guess it's true that Novak got booted because of political alliances.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
So the Feds were going to turn up to Jigalong to administer the shots were they? Oh dear Tigerman.
Yeah, that's the idea, instead of paying Ernie Dingo 6 weeks ago to go up there with a tv crew, the "Feds" should've gone up there with him and a vaccination team 6 months ago.

Too little, too late.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Yeah, that's the idea, instead of paying Ernie Dingo 6 weeks ago to go up there with a tv crew, the "Feds" should've gone up there with him and a vaccination team 6 months ago.

Too little, too late.
You have such faith in the indigenous populations willingness to get vaccinated by the Feds that it's laughable.
The Feds supported the role out by prioritising availability to the states. That's what they said they were going to do, that's what they did.
They were never going to administer the jabs themselves.
It's still voluntary too tigerman, so the feds could have written it on a banner and put it on the Opera house and it still wouldn't have helped with your theory.
All govs of any persuasion would have achieved the same outcome, you just need to hate on the current one cause it suits your narrative.
People are not choosing to vaccinate or abstain from it based on political allegiances.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
If only the indigenous read the link from you, maybe they would have understood the federal government views them as a priority and therefore would be waiting for the feds to start the jabs. Because that's the issue.
The feds and the state gov have made available to all the chance to get vaccinated, so I support the policy regarding the indigenous focus as should all aussies. The fact that individuals have not taken the opportunity to get the vaccination cannot be blamed on the government. No more in the indigenous population than any other.
The feds fund and oversee Indigenous Health orgs. those orgs needed federal support to get vaccines, then administer them. those orgs needed and still federal support to advertise the vaccines, and they need federal support to have the ability to counteract the lies spread in communities that tend to have a (historically warranted) distrust of government.

many communities run health clinics that are minimally staffed. the nurses that are there dont have the time, in addition to their regular work, to give additional vaccines to entire communities, not do they have the time to support people to understand why they need to be vaccinated. supporting them is the federal governments responsibility.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
they sure as hell don't all feel the same in the dark though TM.
You sure you didn't accidentally bring a fella home one dark n stormy night ant man? Could be a logical reason for the repressed anger.

• Haha
  • Love