Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Labor have announced that there will a Royal Commission into Robodebt. I'm looking forward to the dirt they dig up on Morrison's Pentecostal mate, Stuart Robert, one of the instigators of Robodebt.

Reactions: 3 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
If Potato Head is still leader of the opposition come next election, Labor will be morals.
As a mark of respect I think we should call the party leaders by their proper titles. Boofhead rather than Potato head

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
If Potato Head is still leader of the opposition come next election, Labor will be morals.
As long as they don't shoot themselves in the nuts, Labor wil be morals whoever the Lib leader is. The federal Libs, much like their state counterparts, have little in the way of brains, talent and judgement for what is required. They're all throwbacks and mediocrities whose main aim is to line their own pockets.

The most decent and intelligent Liberal pollie in the country, with an actual grasp on what we need to do as a society, seems to be Matt Kean, so they'll probably destroy him.

The next generation of would-be, Menzies-tradition, Liberal leaders are already in parliament. In Teal.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Yes, it's just a question of whether Labor has the guts. I think they'll stick as close as they can to their election promises then claim a mandate for greater change in 2025.

The first business of governments is to get re-elected. With the Libs so on the nose all Labor has to do is not scare the horses and they'll bolt in next time as well.
I am not in love with the ALP as it is either.

Firstly they are majority funded by a Union movement a fair part of which still think it is 1978 with some sort of class war to prosecute instead of entering into a compact with employers for fair compromise and agreement.

Secondly my experience with Labor Governments at the state level is that have commissions for this, legislation for that, directions for multiple things and a passion for intrusive government with mountains of red tape. The compliance regimes the Victorian Government have built up stifle decision making and any sort of speed in the bureaucracy and we have seen that in the pandemic over and over again. I suspect all Labor Governments have that leaning. The NDIS is an example. A fantastic reform and of enormous social benefit drowning in its own red tape and ineptitude.

Someone once said to me we need Labor Governments to set policies and Liberal Governments to enact them. Not sure the LNP is in that space anymore, if they ever were. IMO Labor need to become a social democrat movement that supports free enterprise with a framework of social fairness around it and an aim for a better and fairer tax system and safety net. Not sure they are set up for that nor have the political courage to do it

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
The NDIS is an example. A fantastic reform and of enormous social benefit drowning in its own red tape and ineptitude.
The federal Libs have presided over the NDIS for the last 9 years, and done their best to destroy it.
Any red tape that negatively effecting the NDIS would be from the Libs.
But the bigger issue with the NDIS is the decision makers have been so far removed from those who the scheme supports that they have little idea of the implications if their own rules. The Libs appointed a bunch of money people to the board, and used it as a dumping ground for hopeless ministers.
Bill Shorten isnt everyones favourite pollie, but he is at least genuine in his interest in his portfolio.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
The next generation of would-be, Menzies-tradition, Liberal leaders are already in parliament. In Teal.

The Liberals as we know it will never be in power again. Either a new centre right party will be created made up of current teal MP’s or the Liberals will split into 2 separate parties (moderates and conservatives) with the teals likely to join or team up with the moderates.

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
The federal Libs have presided over the NDIS for the last 9 years, and done their best to destroy it.
Any red tape that negatively effecting the NDIS would be from the Libs.
But the bigger issue with the NDIS is the decision makers have been so far removed from those who the scheme supports that they have little idea of the implications if their own rules. The Libs appointed a bunch of money people to the board, and used it as a dumping ground for hopeless ministers.
Bill Shorten isnt everyones favourite pollie, but he is at least genuine in his interest in his portfolio.
fair comment, probably a bad example

One thing I would say is that in my experience at a state level that the Libs "appointed a bunch of money people to the board, and used it as a dumping ground for hopeless ministers" is by no means an LNP thing only. There are lots of ALP people all over statutory boards in Victoria and I am sure in other states as well. I have long been a believer that Board appointments should be taken out of the hands of Ministers

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Agree, if they continue to the right, they will end up battling Hanson etc for the 10% of the vote available from RWNJs. That will mean Labor stay as the only centrist party, or another party rises to fill the gap

Labor have a possibly once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to enact proper reform where needed, without being scared they can lose the next election.

Unfortunately I can't see the ALP putting through really substantial reforms.

The first thing they should have done is the old shock-horror look a the books and get rid of the tax cuts for the rich.

The best opportunity the ALP had to change things was the short period after Rudd was elected and they also had every State government. They did nothing with that power. Can't see much happening now.

DS

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Unfortunately I can't see the ALP putting through really substantial reforms.

The first thing they should have done is the old shock-horror look a the books and get rid of the tax cuts for the rich.

DS
I think they're spooked by Abbott's she lied, she lied every time he opened his mouth about Julia Gillard's broken promise on a Carbon Tax.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005

If there is one comment that rings true to me it is that ‘the standard you walk past is the standard you accept’

It’s easy to stick the boots into scomo. But who are the myriad of people that have enabled him by tolerating this behaviour for so long

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

If there is one comment that rings true to me it is that ‘the standard you walk past is the standard you accept’

It’s easy to stick the boots into scomo. But who are the myriad of people that have enabled him by tolerating this behaviour for so long

Yep, telling us this now doesn't help Fran.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Yep, telling us this now doesn't help Fran.
So for 16 years old Fran sat on her arse n said nothing. Now that ScoMo's career is pretty much dead n buried she happily jumps up n dances on his grave. Says just as much about her as it does about ScoMo. *smile* politicians, not much good about any of them.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
So for 16 years old Fran sat on her arse n said nothing. Now that ScoMo's career is pretty much dead n buried she happily jumps up n dances on his grave. Says just as much about her as it does about ScoMo. *smile* politicians, not much good about any of them.
That leadership vote tells us so much about the liberal party. SCOMO won because Dutton was so toxic and the only alternative was a woman PM

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
Basically everything in that smh article related to Scotts dismissal from Tourism Australia and the NZ tourism office was reported in The Saturday Paper back in 2019, minus direct quotes from Fran Bailey, but none of the msm picked it up.

Last edited:

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Surprised that nothing has been mentioned that 3 of Morrison's 5 secret portfolios were held by ministers who voted against him when Turnbull was kicked to the kerb (the Morrison or Dutton vote) for the Prime Ministership. A fourth was held by a National Party member, who therefore didn't get a vote. Frydenberg was the only one who voted for Morrison

Didn't trust them, or was he spying on them.

Reactions: 5 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

Yeah, dunno. Who knows what internal pressure there was on her. But beyond Fran, everyone in the Libs that knew what ScoMo was like but still trampled on others to get him to the top. Each one of those people, most likely men, are more responsible for what we ended up with.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Surprised that nothing has been mentioned that 3 of Morrison's 5 secret portfolios were held by ministers who voted against him when Turnbull was kicked to the kerb (the Morrison or Dutton vote) for the Prime Ministership. A fourth was held by a National Party member, who therefore didn't get a vote. Frydenberg was the only one who voted for Morrison

Didn't trust them, or was he spying on them.

He was probably worried Frydenburg would mount a leadership challenge, so got himself more visibility of what Josh was doing.