Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
If the NSW election wasn't already over, it is now. But its complete bull5hit the Gladys ICAC findings now won’t be released until after the NSW election.

Reactions: 3 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Of course Perrotet knew the significance of wearing a Nazi uniform at 20 unless he's a complete idiot which he isn't. Won't answer why he wore it. Says no photos exist.

Nazi Dom is a liar.

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
So at 21, in 2003, not that long ago, Dom Perrottet thought it was ok to wear a nazi uniform to his 21'st, there also the fact that his parents must have thought it was OK:

Well if it's true this is a hit job from the Pokies lobby in response to the NSW's governments attempt to put more controls on problem gambling, then I hope whoever wins the NSW election doubles down on the reforms in response.

Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Well if it's true this is a hit job from the Pokies lobby in response to the NSW's governments attempt to put more controls on problem gambling, then I hope whoever wins the NSW election doubles down on the reforms in response.
Of course it's a hit job. They're gangsters. Crooks. Thieves. Legalised purveyors of human misery. At least drug dealers get you high.

Unfortunately I doubt Labor will do much if they win.

Perrotet's a conservative Catholic, a privileged private school boy, former Young Liberal, lawyer and politician. But he's taking on the pokie cartel, so maybe he's not a complete write-off.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Perrotet's a conservative Catholic, a privileged private school boy, former Young Liberal, lawyer and politician. But he's taking on the pokie cartel, so maybe he's not a complete write-off.
What never ceases to amaze me is people who get surprised by the subsequent behaviour. Look at his upbringing? Where is the diversity? Where is the reality check? The worst that happens to the Dom's of the world is that they run out of Pims at the yacht club on a Friday night.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I see the push by public sector unions to charge a levy to non union members for negotiating EBAs is gathering momentum. The reality is that this is a push by unions to rebuild their revenue because their membership base is diminishing.
I am not against it but with two conditions
1. Staff can opt out and negotiate their own deals separate from an imposed union deal
2. Any levy paid by non union members cannot be used for political influence in the Labor Party

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
It's fair enough. Non-union members have benefited from unions despite contributing nothing.

Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
It's fair enough. Non-union members have benefited from unions despite contributing nothing.

We're not just talking monetary contributions either - there's union dues yes, but also the effort of organising, the time taken to discuss strategy etc, the effort involved in taking industrial action.

People who don't join the union are benefiting from the efforts of their colleagues, if the only way they will contribute is by paying a service fee then I suppose that will do, but we would all prefer they just joined the union.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
I’m conflicted on the union issue.
I agree with the need for unions in principal, workers need a supporting body to ensure their rights, their wages and make sure they’re not getting shafted by employers.

But they can be their own worst enemy too. Here’s a few of my own personal experiences with unions as a member.

Many many years ago worked in the retail workers sector, and as a night shift worker saw my penalty rates dwindling every time there was a negotiation. Very *smile* weak union imo.

In my previous industry, about 20 odd years ago, it seemed the unions negotiation tactic was to sell off current employee benefits (for new starters) in return for their wage increase. So you had all these old timers getting the negotiated pay rise plus keeping their legacy benefits, which new starters couldn’t get.
I was a late starter in this industry and wondered why workers around my own age were getting these benefits when I wasn’t. The answer was “oh, you were employed after x date, so you’re not entitled”

I started in my current industry about 16 years ago. Was manufacturing or transport or warehouse workers. I was a pencil pusher working in the office, but covered under the union agreement, so no worries joining up.
The union negotiated hard with the company, and often won pretty good pay increases. But at a cost.
Invariably, a couple of weeks after an agreement was signed, the company would call for voluntary redundancies (to help pay for the pay rises?). Again, great for the old timers who could get their pay rise, apply for a redundancy and get a very generous payout and retire early.
Then when the number of volunteers didn’t meet the company requirements, that’s when the managers sat around with a pencil and a list of names and people, union members, lost their jobs.

My personal experience with this union came when I was having a pay dispute with my manager/s. Talked to my union rep who finally organised a meeting with the union. This guy came in, wasn’t really interested, and at the end of the meeting gave me a bunch of membership forms to hand out to the other office staff. They went in the bin.
I was basically on my own, and eventually found out that the union had sold out the office staff in their last negotiations, we could no longer advance through the pay scales and if we wanted to advance had to sign an individual agreement.

So maybe I’ve just been a bit unlucky?
As I said, agree with the principal of unions, but haven’t met a good one yet…

Reactions: 5 users