Team of the Decade | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Team of the Decade

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
As the 2010s come to a close, we have won 2 premierships, 6 finals series, including a minor premiership. No doubt any team of the decade would be heavily stacked with premiership players. Can we find room for anyone else?

Backs: Grimes, Rance, Vlastuin
HB: Houli, Astbury, Newman
C: Grigg, Martin, Deledio
HF: Lambert, Lynch, Caddy
F: King, Riewoldt, Edwards
R: Maric, Cotchin, Prestia
IC: Foley, Castagna, Nankervis, Rioli
E: Broad, Jackson, Bellis

Thoughts?

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Interesting exercise.

I loved him, but I can't really see King in that side.

The thing is I am not sure who to replace him with. Maybe Rioli into the forward pocket, and Ellis or Broad to the bench.

I'd try and squeeze McIntosh in as well, just not quite sure how.

BrisTiger24

Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
No doubt King over Castagna/Rioli is a tough one. As was Maric over Nank in the 18 but had to fit Ivvy in as I reckon he doesn't get enough credit for the Richmond man culture.

On King, he does what Castagna does but with more ferocity and more agro. He was the only pressure forward back then. Would love him in our current team.

Reactions: 1 user

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
On King, he does what Castagna does but with more ferocity and more agro. He was the only pressure forward back then. Would love him in our current team.

Kingy really played his best footy as a pressure forward and was probably the first we ever had.

To be honest I don't think he'd even make our list these days, which is why I don't see him in the team of the decade.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Seems wrong to exclude players who stood up and reached new levels in the Grand Final years. Soldo needs to at least be an emergency, or replace King as a small pressure forward.

Tough excercise.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Jacko has to be in the 22 replacing Kingy who was a hard worker but not in the team of the decade imo.
Shane Tuck the other one I would squeeze in probably in the place of Castagna

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
As the 2010s come to a close, we have won 2 premierships, 6 finals series, including a minor premiership. No doubt any team of the decade would be heavily stacked with premiership players. Can we find room for anyone else?

Backs: Grimes, Rance, Vlastuin
HB: Houli, Astbury, Newman
C: Grigg, Martin, Deledio
HF: Lambert, Lynch, Caddy
F: King, Riewoldt, Edwards
R: Maric, Cotchin, Prestia
IC: Foley, Castagna, Nankervis, Rioli
E: Broad, Jackson, Bellis

Thoughts?
Thanks for giving us something different to focus on.

As much as i loved Ivan, i'd have him on the bench and Nank 1st ruck.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
My team of the decade:

Backs: Astbury, Rance, Grimes
HB: Newman, Vlastuin, Houli
C: Lambert, Prestia, Grigg
HF: King, Edwards, Rioli
F: Lynch, Riewoldt, Castagna
R: Maric, Cotchin, Martin
IC: Jackson, Ellis, Caddy, Broad
E: McIntosh, Chaplin, Morris

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
The team of the decade is the team that won the 2017 flag.
The only onclusions would be Newman and maybe Griffens

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
My team of the decade:

No Nankervis?
I know he has only been with us for 3 seasons, but his contribution has quite significant.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
My team of the decade:

Not bad. Foley would have to be a lock though. Great player.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Foley‘s best work was over 10 years ago though, since then he’s only had 1 top 10 finish in the B&F (8th in 2011).

Still managed 21.6 disposals in 2011 and 23.3 in 2012 and averaged 5.6 tackles a game and received 9 Brownlow votes. And his disposals were always immaculate despite getting alot of contested ball (over 72% 2011 to 2014) . Started tapering off in his last 2 years after that but imo that puts him well ahead of a few others.

BrisTiger24

Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Still managed 21.6 disposals in 2011 and 23.3 in 2012 and averaged 5.6 tackles a game and received 9 Brownlow votes. And his disposals were always immaculate despite getting alot of contested ball (over 72% 2011 to 2014) . Started tapering off in his last 2 years after that but imo that puts him well ahead of a few others.

Yep Foley was my second non premiership player picked after Lids, even ahead of Newman.

Great player in dark teams