Tech advice wanted - building a webpage | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tech advice wanted - building a webpage

E

easy_tiger

Seeking advice from our tech people.

I need to face my fears and build a webpage (apparently a thing of the past for attracting business, its now facebook, but I'll tackle that in another 20 years?)

Im pretty bad with technology (PRE, banking , email)

but want/need to have a crack at building a simple web site

can anyone recommend a good free intuitive online tool to build one?

Does my internet service provider host it? :don't know

Its just needs to be a one pager, like an ad in a newspaper, with a 100w speil, 4-5 pics and a contact email and ph number

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
You'll need to pay someone to host it (unless you know someone with a web server), probably on a monthly basis. How much it costs usually depends on how much traffic your site gets and how much storage it requires (databases etc).

You could also host it yourself if you have a NAS. In fact any computer can theoretically host a website, but if it's for business purposes then it should be a machine that's running 24/7.

E

easy_tiger

thanks fellas.

it will be super simple (1 page, no interactivity) like a colour classified ad

a couple of questions which demonstrate my ignorance

1. is it easy to make my computer host it?
2. if so, does that mean viewers are kind of in my computer when they are viewing it?
3. If I use a host and given its like a poster on the internet, how much would it likely cost?
4. Is someone with my obvious tech deficiency gonna be able to slay this dragon using those platforms spook suggest?

ta

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Try Wix first. If you get adventurous Wordpress hosted.

Or find a local who does this sort of stuff and support your local community

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
a couple of questions which demonstrate my ignorance

1. is it easy to make my computer host it?
>> Not for you, no.
2. if so, does that mean viewers are kind of in my computer when they are viewing it?
>> Don't host it on your computer
3. If I use a host and given its like a poster on the internet, how much would it likely cost?
>> Wix/Wordpress can give it to you free with a bit of their branding
4. Is someone with my obvious tech deficiency gonna be able to slay this dragon using those platforms spook suggest?
>> If you can't manage spook's advice, find someone local to do it

Most important here is what is the website address of your page going to be? If you want your own domain name (url) and have that as the landing page then it might cost a tad more, but again, I reckon in Byron there are plenty of tech retirees who do this stuff on the side

E

easy_tiger

Baloo said:
Most important here is what is the website address of your page going to be? If you want your own domain name (url) and have that as the landing page then it might cost a tad more, but again, I reckon in Byron there are plenty of tech retirees who do this stuff on the side

I don't really know.

looking to attract some local business (100km radius) to a mobile saw milling business

ideally, when people google stuff like mobile saw milling, timber, cabin, lumber sexuals

our page appears, the punter like what she sees, phones up.

I do know a bloke who will do it for $500, but I have a bit of a hankering to tackle something that terrifies me, and building a webpage is very high on my terrified of list

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
easy said:
I don't really know.

looking to attract some local business (100km radius) to a mobile saw milling business

ideally, when people google stuff like mobile saw milling, timber, cabin, lumber sexuals

I do know a bloke who will do it for $500, but I have a bit of a hankering to tackle something that terrifies me, and building a webpage is very high on my terrified of list

Building a website can be fun and with today's tools it can be relatively easy.

Building one that actually looks good, attracts people and can be found easily with a google search is a hell of a lot harder.

E

easy_tiger

Baloo said:
Building a website can be fun and with today's tools it can be relatively easy.

Building one that actually looks good, attracts people and can be found easily with a google search is a hell of a lot harder.

hmmmmmmmm.

not intimidated by the artistic layout, but how do you get it seen by google?

do you get what you pay for?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
easy said:
I don't really know.

It's not that difficult. As a novice (and still a novice) I built one with half a dozen pages for the local cricket club about 15 years ago, and a single page site for a mate's business which I actually got paid for!

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Baloo said:

Yes, that's an arcane science in itself and the holy grail of website developers.

mexican_radio

*fix the midfield*
Feb 12, 2005
South of the Border
Are you looking for a free solution, or willing to pay for a service?
We use sitebuilder and have found it very good, they have a special running at the moment.

There are local computer companies that will build and host a web site for you. Might cost more though?
However, there is one nice side effect. You will probably be allowed to have a complete copy of your custom built HTML.

Paid services like Wix and Sitebuilder tend to use drag and drop tools for creating your web pages. The end result will probably not be portable.
In other words if you wanted to jump ship, it's very hard to download all your "stuff" and just move elsewhere.

hope all that helps a bit !

lounder

Tiger Cub
Aug 16, 2014
If all you are looking for is a classified ad style thing then consider just creating a free Google Business listing and filling it out fully. Add some photos, get a couple of satisfied customer reviews, all you may have enough.

It's heavily geographically weighted, which sounds like what you are after.