Tennis | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tennis

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
"Between serves, [they were] geeing the crowd up and getting them to cheer at times like that. I don’t think that’s really on."

WTF - How Horrible lol. Reads like Venus is a sore loser to Leysy. Should be appreciative of the popularity brought to a doubles match.

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
"Between serves, [they were] geeing the crowd up and getting them to cheer at times like that. I don’t think that’s really on."

WTF - How Horrible lol. Reads like Venus is a sore loser to Leysy. Should be appreciative of the popularity brought to a doubles match.

Whilst I'm not a huge fan of either of the K's, they have an energy on the court. Some of the comments against them, seem to forget that tennis is entertainment just like any sport and as you say, brings popularity to a doubles match, where normally people might only be watching a doubles match, for the match coming up after. Surely bringing more support to doubles tennis is a good thing?

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017

So heckling should be encouraged? Imagine if it was happening to baby Nick? Talk about a dummy spit. He would be tyrannical.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Whilst I'm not a huge fan of either of the K's, they have an energy on the court. Some of the comments against them, seem to forget that tennis is entertainment just like any sport and as you say, brings popularity to a doubles match, where normally people might only be watching a doubles match, for the match coming up after. Surely bringing more support to doubles tennis is a good thing?
The crowd should be able to egg their opponents too. Or at least throw soft fruit.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
The crowd should be able to egg their opponents too. Or at least throw soft fruit.

This is where Kyrios is going - 20/20 bigbash tennis.

Look at the crowd - 10 year olds with kfcbuckets on their heads.

Im fine with the $$$dumb sports concept,

As long as i can watch the pure forms in peace.

The theory of cultural fly paper.

See, Tiger Ash Barty is the 2nd best thing in world sport right now.

She makes me happy.

Reactions: 4 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Kyrgios used to annoy me. Always liked Kokkinakis though, but he was cruelled by injuries.

Watching the Special K's was surprisingly enjoyable. Sure they are pushing the boundaries and encouraging a new type of crowd, but soon us old traditionalists will be too old and frail to generate income for TA and the networks, it's the next generation that will keep the coffers full. The Special Ks appeal to this next Generation and I bet TA and Channel 9 are licking their lips at the thought of the Special Ks making the final of the doubles.

Personally I've never bothered to watch a major doubles final wince the Woodies stopped playing, but I've made an effort to watch every Special K match so far and will continue to do so.

Love him or hate him, Kyrgios attracts viewers. Th establishment hate him, fellow players may take offence with the way he disrespects them on court, but he's entertaining.

Go back 50 years and while you can't compare what they have achieved, Muhammed Ali would have generated that same feelings amongst the establishment while bringing more of the younger generation to the sport of Boxing. He certainly pissed off his opponents with his lack of respect for them.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
You can cheer as much as you want after a point but it's completely disrespectful to the players to make noise while someone is serving.

Reactions: 3 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Apparently the Italians used to throw heated up coins at players. Andrew Gaze said they were still doing it at basketball matches in the ‘90’s when he played there.
It’s not really the behaviour of Kyrgios (although he is massive sook) and Kokkinakis that is getting people offside, but that of their supporters. However, the players encourage this and then blame the umpire for being unable to control the crowd. As for taking tennis to the masses and promoting a different type of support that’s rubbish. It’s only going to happen here, and only when these two are playing. That’s not inclusion.

Sammy Cougar

Goodness Gracious me The Tigers have got Another
Staff member
Mar 6, 2004
Aussie Boys Matt Ebden & Max Purcell going well in the other Semi Won the 1st Set 6-3

Reactions: 1 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Apparently the Italians used to throw heated up coins at players. Andrew Gaze said they were still doing it at basketball matches in the ‘90’s when he played there.
It’s not really the behaviour of Kyrgios (although he is massive sook) and Kokkinakis that is getting people offside, but that of their supporters. However, the players encourage this and then blame the umpire for being unable to control the crowd. As for taking tennis to the masses and promoting a different type of support that’s rubbish. It’s only going to happen here, and only when these two are playing. That’s not inclusion.
Yep the young need constant quick fire entertainment, like the big bash and AFLX. Perhaps they can create a new form of Tennis where supporters can yell while the players serve, sets are made up of mini tie breaks up to 10 points, and the crowd can quickly go back to tik toking and snapchatting.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Yep the young need constant quick fire entertainment, like the big bash and AFLX. Perhaps they can create a new form of Tennis where supporters can yell while the players serve, sets are made up of mini tie breaks up to 10 points, and the crowd can quickly go back to tik toking and snapchatting.
They tried something a few years ago called Fast Five. Mercifully it seemed to die a quick death. There was an article on The Roar the other day praising the K’s and the obnoxious crowd. The author claimed their 22 yo son loved the doubles with the K’s, but couldn’t see the distance with Barty’s quarter final. WTF? Barty’s match was won and done in 63 mins, quite apart from the 22 yo’s ADD, Barty’s play at present and the way she is dismantling quality opposition is an absolute joy to watch.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

Venus should be grateful Kyrgios gave him his 15 minutes of fame. Before this game no one gave a *smile* about him or doubles tennis.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Correct. Give Leysy the Special K's who play with passion, fun, the odd tantrum, plenty of skill and engage the crowd ahead of nearly every other tennis player who is bland and boring.

Good on em'. That they grate on the old fuddy duddies is even better.

Leysy's 9 y.o. daughter for the first time has taken an interest interest in the sport and loves watching them play. Didnt know the rules a week ago now wants lessons.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
That was fun to watch. The final crowd will be a bit different for the Special K's, there will be plenty of support for their opponents this time around

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
That was fun to watch. The final crowd will be a bit different for the Special K's, there will be plenty of support for their opponents this time around
Nothing wrong with that either. Up to the Tennis bigwigs to now grab this and see if they can continue this doubles momentum to the other majors.

Those doubles players could have a lot to thank both Nick and Thanasi. If this takes off all of sudden the sponsors will jump on board and the $$$$ will flow through. Something that peanut Venus didn’t think of.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Amazing stat given in the tennis. This is the first Australian Open without a Williams sister competing since 1997...

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Kyrgios used to annoy me. Always liked Kokkinakis though, but he was cruelled by injuries.

Watching the Special K's was surprisingly enjoyable. Sure they are pushing the boundaries and encouraging a new type of crowd, but soon us old traditionalists will be too old and frail to generate income for TA and the networks, it's the next generation that will keep the coffers full. The Special Ks appeal to this next Generation and I bet TA and Channel 9 are licking their lips at the thought of the Special Ks making the final of the doubles.

Personally I've never bothered to watch a major doubles final wince the Woodies stopped playing, but I've made an effort to watch every Special K match so far and will continue to do so.

Love him or hate him, Kyrgios attracts viewers. Th establishment hate him, fellow players may take offence with the way he disrespects them on court, but he's entertaining.

Go back 50 years and while you can't compare what they have achieved, Muhammed Ali would have generated that same feelings amongst the establishment while bringing more of the younger generation to the sport of Boxing. He certainly pissed off his opponents with his lack of respect for them.
Call me a fuddy duddy if that's the future. And comparing the vaccous special K's to the greatest of all? Go Bunta and get pissed and heckle hey? Pretty sophisticated stuff from the K's.