Tennis | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tennis

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010

They should kick this *smile* Zverev off the tour. What a disgrace.
This however is what you get when you tolerate such antics.
Bunch of self entitled assholes.

Goes back to an earlier conversation from a few months back. Where it was mentioned that outside of recreational tennis. It seems to be a sport (more than most other elite sports) that attracts people (both players and their family and entourage) who are just alien to normal people and the normal human experience. Like a different subspecies of human. Bizarre culture that is increasingly normalised and accepted in those circles as just part and parcel of their sporting clique.

Emotionally weak, narcissistic culture. People unable to exercise self discipline and self restraint of not giving into their immediate emotional whims. If everyday life was governed by the same lack of self discipline and self restraint, society would be total anarchy. That said, moves towards these themes go some way to describing the wider social decay.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014

Ashleigh Barty: World number one makes shock call to quit tennis​

World number one Ashleigh Barty has shocked the sporting world by announcing she will retire from professional tennis at just 25.
The Australian made the announcement on social media on Wednesday, saying she was leaving to "chase other dreams".
"I'm so happy and I'm so ready. And I just know at the moment in my heart, for me as a person, this is right," she said in a video.
Barty won her first Grand Slam at the 2019 French Open.
She has remained the top-ranked player since then, backed up by success at Wimbledon last year.
In January, she became the first home player to win the Australian Open men's or women's singles title in 44 years.

"I wasn't sure how to share this news with you so I asked my good friend [retired Australian tennis player Casey Dellacqua] to help me," Barty said on Wednesday.
"I am so thankful for everything this sport has given me and leave feeling proud and fulfilled.

"Thank you to everyone who has supported me along the way, I'll always be grateful for the lifelong memories we created together."

Barty added she was "absolutely spent" and "physically I have nothing more to give".
Women's Tennis Association head Steve Simon said Barty was "one of the great champions" and would be missed.

"Ashleigh Barty with her signature slice backhand, complemented by being the ultimate competitor, has always led by example through the unwavering professionalism and sportsmanship she brought to every match," he said in a statement.
Fellow Australian Grand Slam winners also paid tribute. Sam Stosur hailed Barty's "incredible career", while Dylan Alcott said she was a "champion in every sense of the word".
Romanian former world number one Simona Halep added: "What's next for you? Grand Slam champion in golf?!"
Barty's Australian Open win had cemented her reputation as a national hero. In an emotional moment, she was presented with her trophy by fellow Aboriginal Australian tennis champion and mentor Evonne Goolagong Cawley.

A recent report by The Age newspaper highlighted how the number of Australian children playing tennis had climbed by nearly 30% in the past year. Many of them are from Indigenous communities and many are girls.
"I'm really proud that I can be a small part of getting more kids into sport and chasing their dreams," she told BBC Sport in January.

Barty took a break from tennis in 2014, citing its intense demands, and played in the inaugural season of cricket's Women's Big Bash League.
She said that was "a very different feeling" to her retirement on Wednesday, adding tennis had "given me all my dreams plus more".

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Nadal beats the Djoker in a 4 sets Qtr final at the French. Hope he goes on and wins it and gets 2 ahead in the all-time GS race.

He just wears his opponents down with relentless tennis. Perhaps my all time favourite sportsman.

Reactions: 3 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Nadal beats the Djoker in a 4 sets Qtr final at the French. Hope he goes on and wins it and gets 2 ahead in the all-time GS race.

He just wears his opponents down with relentless tennis. Perhaps my all time favourite sportsman.
Popular victory that one.

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv

Wasn't he like 4-1 down in the 4th set ?

Take that Djokodick.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Wasn't he like 4-1 down in the 4th set ?

Take that Djokodick.
Yeh, Djoker led 5-2 and served for it at 5-3 in the 4th. But Nadal started playing more aggressively and was unstoppable.

It evens up their head to head at 30-30. Nadal leads Fed 24-16. Djoker leads Fed 27-23.

People like to say Fed is greatest ever but clearly not IMO.

If Nadal takes this one and somewhow gets one of Wimbledon/US Open I doubt Djoker gets past him and Nadal will be the GOAT.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
If Nadal takes this one and somewhow gets one of Wimbledon/US Open I doubt Djoker gets past him and Nadal will be the GOAT.

Just an indication of longevity IMO. Laver is still the GOAT IMO and just as tennis players I rank Federer ahead of Nadal and probably Agassi, Sampras, Borg and McEnroe as well.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Just an indication of longevity IMO. Laver is still the GOAT IMO and just as tennis players I rank Federer ahead of Nadal and probably Agassi, Sampras, Borg and McEnroe as well.
Impossible to rank Federer ahead of Nadal by any rational measure. People get carried away with Fed's "style" IMO. They've played each other at their peak. Djoker is also above Fed IMO.

Nadal has beaten Fed on every surface. IMO clay is the truest test of character & game. The server is at their least advantaged. Its the most physically and mentally demanding. It's why guys like Kyrgios avoid it. Guys like him rather the hit and giggle of Wimbledon where his serve gets him through.

Rafa has developed his all round game, he's done it with multiple injuries, playing the most grueling style. And with more humility than Fed & Djoker.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Impossible to rank Federer ahead of Nadal by any rational measure. People get carried away with Fed's "style" IMO. They've played each other at their peak. Djoker is also above Fed IMO.

Nadal has beaten Fed on every surface. IMO clay is the truest test of character & game. The server is at their least advantaged. Its the most physically and mentally demanding. It's why guys like Kyrgios avoid it. Guys like him rather the hit and giggle of Wimbledon where his serve gets him through.

Rafa has developed his all round game, he's done it with multiple injuries, playing the most grueling style. And with more humility than Fed & Djoker.
As a Federer fan I have to begrudgingly agree with all this. Rafa is the greatest.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
As a Federer fan I have to begrudgingly agree with all this. Rafa is the greatest.
Yeh, I'm a Federer fan as well, and a big fan of Djokers tennis game. They are all incredible players. We've been priveleged to see them compete all these years.

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
Nadal just came back from 6-3 down in the first set tie break against Zverev. He played a couple of unbelievable points. I can't think of a sports person who has consistently given 100% effort to the extent that Nadal does. He just plays every point like his life depended on it. Amazing.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Nadal just came back from 6-3 down in the first set tie break against Zverev. He played a couple of unbelievable points. I can't think of a sports person who has consistently given 100% effort to the extent that Nadal does. He just plays every point like his life depended on it. Amazing.
I'm a bit over him.
There's no Becker, Lendel, Aggasi, The Sweds Edberg or Willander .
There's no serious competition in tennis anymore..