Tennis | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tennis

Brodders17 said:
i dont have a view on the cartoon, but have you tried to understand why people are offended?
looking st the history of how black americans have been depicted in cartoons over time, and the intention of those depictions, often from times where they were very much 3rd class citizens?

I can understand how people could be offended it but surely context is important? How would you caricature Serena if you were a cartoonist? Do you think Knight has some other racist motive?

Got it. Black people can not be portrayed in cartoon form as its racist.

Brodders17 said:
i dont have a view on the cartoon, but have you tried to understand why people are offended?
looking st the history of how black americans have been depicted in cartoons over time, and the intention of those depictions, often from times where they were very much 3rd class citizens?

I'm well aware of that after countless references to it the past few days.
I seriously doubt Knight had any notion of it when he drew the cartoon though. As a caricaturist he exaggerates the features of everyone no matter what race/colour they are.
That's equality IMO.

Sadly what's been overlooked in all this cartoon controversy is that a tennis player once again behaved like a brat, hijacked the final & her opponent (the good sport) has barely had any acknowledgements for her achievements. That's the real controversy here. Not a drawing.

Tigers of Old said:
I seriously doubt Knight had any notion of it when he drew the cartoon though. As a caricaturist he exaggerates the features of everyone no matter what race/colour they are.
That's equality IMO.

Sadly what's been overlooked in all this cartoon controversy is that a tennis player once again behaved like a brat, hijacked the final & her opponent (the good sport) has barely had any acknowledgements for her achievements. That's the real controversy here. Not a drawing.

Do you think Williams' lips are big? I dont. But he has drawn them huge. In the style they are drawn in many offensive pics people are comparing his cartoon to.

Brodders17 , great cartoon ,and discraceful act on centre court by Williams as the above typed HIJACKED the real winner here..

Brodders17 said:
Do you think Williams' lips are big? I dont. But he has drawn them huge. In the style they are drawn in many offensive pics people are comparing his cartoon to.

They're fairly substantial. I'd be surprised if he didn't work from photos.

Serena-Williams-1015020.jpg

Tigers of Old said:
That's equality IMO.

Very true Oldy, Serena Williams has shown many times over her career that she is a very poor loser, that is not in question.
What is also not in question is that Knight is a satirist who uses caricatures to get his message across.
I don't understand is why people are outraged about his "cartoon", he has merely shown Serena as a caricature of herself. She is an African American woman, not Asian, Hispanic or even Caucasian. Imo he has not denigrated her because of her ethnicity, but he has called into question her appalling behaviour.

To do his job properly he must show her as he perceives her, he cannot show her as anything other than an African American person because that is what she is. If he had shown her as any other "skin pigmentation" that would certainlyhave been racist.

To re-inforce that notion, have a look at the caricatures of the likes of John Howard, Kerry Packer, Gough Whitlam, Maggie Thatcher etc. etc. etc. they're shown as caricatures of themselves with exaggerated physical features & so on.

Haven't African Americans been fighting for equality for years, surely part of that is to be treated in the same way as all other Americans in all ways, that includes being depicted as a "caricature" of your physical self.

EG: If Mark Knight had been "working" when John McEnroe was playing he would certainly have drawn a very similar cartoon of him. McEnroe would have been shown up as being a spoiled brat, in fact you could substitute McEnroe for Serena in the cartoon in question.

Surely you can't have it both ways, "we want to be treated as equals". Ok, part of being treated as equals is being called out for bad behaviour or being a poor sport, no matter what the colour of your skin.
To be treated in any other way is racism.

Look at this offensive cartoon of Cotch. How this got past the censors I don’t know. His hair isn’t that big at all....

https://www.cardzone.com.au/image/cache/data/014%20AFL%20Firepower/2014%20afl%20champion%20firepower%20caricature%20fc43_resize-500x500.jpg

Brodders17 said:

I was waiting for this. I think the reason for the outrage is that her face on the cartoon looks too 'masculine' and not attractive.

TigerForce said:
I was waiting for this. I think the reason for the outrage is that her face on the cartoon looks too 'masculine' and not attractive.

Nope.

What we don’t get in this part of the world is that the sambo images were associated with an ugly part of American history.

I don’t need to get it. I just need to accept it.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=sambo+images&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-au&client=safari#imgrc=C1n-aBXwqEFJgM:

Tigers of Old said:
That's equality IMO.

Knight is about my age and he is a cartoonist by trade. There is no doubt in my mind he saw these images as a kid. I did.

[youtube=560,315]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67dQ4Whk-7s[/youtube]

TT33 said:
EG: If Mark Knight had been "working" when John McEnroe was playing he would certainly have drawn a very similar cartoon of him. McEnroe would have been shown up as being a spoiled brat, in fact you could substitute McEnroe for Serena in the cartoon in question.

I guess this cartoonist is racist against whites.

sport-american-tennis_player-champion-champions-grand_slams-gbrn105_low.jpg

KnightersRevenge said:
Knight is about my age and he is a cartoonist by trade. There is no doubt in my mind he saw these images as a kid. I did.

[youtube=560,315]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67dQ4Whk-7s[/youtube]

Watched the whole thing and the most racist thing I saw was the character's name.

Trying to link that to Knight's cartoon is about the most farfetched suggestion yet.

Midsy said:
I guess this cartoonist is racist against whites.

sport-american-tennis_player-champion-champions-grand_slams-gbrn105_low.jpg

So you can show me a history of using racial characteristics to demonstrably oppress white people by black people? You know there is a context here, right? What you are attempting to suggest is if I can find an example of 1 alter boy raping 1 priest then there is no problem with the Catholic church. Context matter people.

KnightersRevenge said:
So you can show me a history of using racial characteristics to demonstrably oppress white people by black people? You know there is a context here, right? What you are attempting to suggest is if I can find an example of 1 alter boy raping 1 priest then there is no problem with the Catholic church. Context matter people.

And the context of the cartoon was Williams' behaviour, not her skin colour.

But you'd rather make it about her skin colour.

Midsy said:
And the context of the cartoon was Williams' behaviour, not her skin colour.

But you'd rather make it about her skin colour.

Nope. Not me, Knight. He made it about race when used a racist trope. You tried to deflect with a silly reference to a caricature of McEnroe as though it proved he may have suffered from systemic racism due to being white and depicted in a way that reinforced centuries of oppression and racism. That is the only way your use of McEnroe can have any baring on this issue.

I can separate Williams's conduct from Knight's. Serena needs censure for being a poor sport. Knight needs censure for being lazy and casually racist.

KnightersRevenge said:
Nope. Not me, Knight. He made it about race when used a racist trope. You tried to deflect with a silly reference to a caricature of McEnroe as though it proved he may have suffered from systemic racism due to being white and depicted in a way that reinforced centuries of oppression and racism. That is the only way your use of McEnroe can have any baring on this issue.

I can separate Williams's conduct from Knight's. Serena needs censure for being a poor sport. Knight needs censure for being lazy and casually racist.

How else could he have drawn her then?

Knighters revenge mate your are a Snowflake...Williams showed ( excuse the pun) true colours on court and SHE has form several times. Bad sportsmanship at the highest order with NO consideration for the winner of the event ,selfish cow....