Tennis | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tennis

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
You’ll never win an argument with the tryhards because they seemingly write the “rules” about what’s racist, sexist etc. And the “rules” get more and more tenuous and bizarre.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
MD Jazz said:
"Just that when he started drawing her, that is where his creativity took him. Those images were in his head and they contributed to the final outcome"

That's a long bow to draw.

Look it's definitely a bow. Not sure of it's length. I'm being as generous as I can. I reckon he knew he was sailing pretty close to the wind.

poppa x

Tiger Legend
May 28, 2004
Mt Waverley
Pages and pages of posts and world wide angst and I've yet to see anyone refer to the "can you please let her win?" line in the cartoon.

Comedy gold.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
KnightersRevenge said:
Yup. Pretty hard for him when his boss decides to use his cartoon to put a thumb-in-the-eye of the "snowflakes" and "nanny-staters" by putting it on the front page. Nothing he could have done about that.

Pretty sure he would’ve been grateful for his employer backing his integrity. Societal norms shouldn’t be shaped by whoever makes the most aggressive pitch.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Nico said:
The world's gone mad

hqdefault.jpg

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
tigertim said:
You’ll never win an argument with the tryhards because they seemingly write the “rules” about what’s racist, sexist etc. And the “rules” get more and more tenuous and bizarre.

Its not about rules its about context, I don't see what so hard to understand about context being important.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
IanG said:
Its not about rules its about context, I don't see what so hard to understand about context being important.
I’m sure you don’t.....

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
IanG said:
You complain about outrage but you seem perpetually outraged by those you disagree with.
Outraged? Don’t think so, but it’s all about context I spose.....

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
tigertim said:
I’m sure you don’t.....

Okay, try this. How many times do you need to tell someone they're being offensive before it is clear they're insensitive a**holes? They can claim the first few times that they don't get it. But at some point you've got to call an a**hole, an a**hole. If enough people are telling you the offense is there and have explained it in pretty simple terms and you're response is "snowflakes" (not you but has been said here). You're an a**hole.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
KnightersRevenge said:
Okay, try this. How many times do you need to tell someone they're being offensive before it is clear they're insensitive a**holes? They can claim the first few times that they don't get it. But at some point you've got to call an a**hole, an a**hole. If enough people are telling you the offense is there and have explained it in pretty simple terms and you're response is "snowflakes" (not you but has been said here). You're an a**hole.
Classy.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Pretty sure he would’ve been grateful for his employer backing his integrity. Societal norms shouldn’t be shaped by whoever makes the most aggressive pitch.

Very accurate post.

Tagomi

Tiger Cub
Aug 18, 2018
It's perfectly OK to say Williams behaved appallingly and agree that Knight's cartoon was racist, and deliberately so.

Paid off though, the Hun turned it into a front page anti-PC outrage fest though so Murdoch would be happy as a pig in *smile*.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
A couple of interesting articles on this subject over weekend.

One was on stats around penalties against female and male tennis players in grand slams over past 20 years. An excerpt below

MALE tennis players are almost three times more likely to be fined for losing their temper and smashing racquets than their female counterparts, The New York Times reported Saturday.
Male players were slapped with 1517 fines compared to 535 fines for females according to data compiled by officials at Grand Slam tournaments for the period covering 1998 to 2018.
The figures obtained by the Times show that men received 649 fines for breaking racquets to 99 for women in tens of thousands of matches in the four Grand Slams over the last two decades.
Men were fined 344 times compared to 140 for “audible obscenity” and 287 to 67 for unsportsmanlike conduct.

This helps debunks the sexism myth Serena raised.

The other was by Tim Boyle on back page of sports section in The Age. I'm a big fan of his writing and he was critical of Knight and the hun. Has provided food for thought.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/rendering-of-serena-williams-plays-to-the-delinquency-of-our-thinking-20180915-p503zt.html

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
MD Jazz said:
The other was by Tim Boyle on back page of sports section in The Age. I'm a big fan of his writing and he was critical of Knight and the hun. Has provided food for thought.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/rendering-of-serena-williams-plays-to-the-delinquency-of-our-thinking-20180915-p503zt.html

Not sure about that. It takes the line that American culture is the ultimate arbiter of decency.

Years ago I was watching one of those all-night American news shows. A flavour-of-the-month British band had landed in the US and was being interviewed by the news team. One of the male US interviewers made an off-the-cuff remark about his female colleague's "fanny" (i.e. "backside" in the US). The band was shocked and said "You can't say that on TV!". The American said "Well I just did" and brushed it off without a second thought.

Why is it hard for some to accept that a lot of people here don't detect racism in the cartoon, except when told they should (and then only at a stretch)?

Haven't heard anyone tell the Yanks they need to stop using "rooting" in place of "barracking".