Tennis | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tennis

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Not sure about that. It takes the line that American culture is the ultimate arbiter of decency.

Years ago I was watching one of those all-night American news shows. A flavour-of-the-month British band had landed in the US and was being interviewed by the news team. One of the male US interviewers made an off-the-cuff remark about his female colleague's "fanny" (i.e. "backside" in the US). The band was shocked and said "You can't say that on TV!". The American said "Well I just did" and brushed it off without a second thought.

Why is it hard for some to accept that a lot of people here don't detect racism in the cartoon, except when told they should (and then only at a stretch)?

Haven't heard anyone tell the Yanks they need to stop using "rooting" in place of "barracking".

Article just makes me think a little further about the subject. These paragraphs in particular.

That we struggle to separate a conversation about the history of racism from the breakdown of a losing tennis player is proof of the delinquency of ideas in Australian discourse. It might have been possible to sympathise with Mark Knight’s depiction of Williams as a bad loser if, at some point, his publication only tried to acknowledge history. Perhaps the intention of his cartoon was not to deny history, but the intention of defending it was.
Nobody should be free to deny the testimony of the past and expect to also be free from ridicule. It would be a denial of history to say that it was incredible for a publication to defend that cartoon, so instead I should say that it was embarrassing. It was embarrassing to realise that we are still being represented in this fashion; embarrassing that we should be perceived in this light by other countries – even one with Donald Trump as its president – and it is embarrassing that a disregard for centuries of slavery should be fed to us as a defence of free speech.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
MD Jazz said:
That we struggle to separate a conversation about the history of racism from the breakdown of a losing tennis player is proof of the delinquency of ideas in Australian discourse. It might have been possible to sympathise with Mark Knight’s depiction of Williams as a bad loser if, at some point, his publication only tried to acknowledge history. Perhaps the intention of his cartoon was not to deny history, but the intention of defending it was.
Nobody should be free to deny the testimony of the past and expect to also be free from ridicule. It would be a denial of history to say that it was incredible for a publication to defend that cartoon, so instead I should say that it was embarrassing. It was embarrassing to realise that we are still being represented in this fashion; embarrassing that we should be perceived in this light by other countries – even one with Donald Trump as its president – and it is embarrassing that a disregard for centuries of slavery should be fed to us as a defence of free speech.

She could've been drawn a little more personably, but the gratuitous mention of Trump gives the game away. This is a (mild) ideological attack on the HS by a Fairfax journo.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
2160e981b20cfca5d3c01c8b606ef594

Doesn't Serena look nice here.... :hihi

What's with the Tiger at the window?

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
TigerForce said:
2160e981b20cfca5d3c01c8b606ef594

Doesn't Serena look nice here.... :hihi

What's with the Tiger at the window?
Knight this week quietly drew a caricature of Trump (with exaggerated features) throwing a tantrum with the caption “can’t we just give him what he wants”.

No outcry.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Mr Brightside said:
Mrs B scored some tickets to Oz Open on the Saturday of week 1 , great seats should be an interesting day

Let's hope Channel 9 don't make a mess of this tournament.

tigertim said:
Knight this week quietly drew a caricature of Trump (with exaggerated features) throwing a tantrum with the caption “can’t we just give him what he wants”.

No outcry.

What about Dan the Man's big ears?

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
TigerForce said:
Let's hope Channel 9 don't make a mess of this tournament.

What about Dan the Man's big ears?
Given some of the mispronunciations of names I’ve already heard it could be a bit of train wreck.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Probably not the greatest standard, but i'm really enjoying the Murray v Bautista Agut game. Murray with his cronic hip injury is moving like a cripple, but he has come from 2 sets down to level it at 2 sets all. Is down a break in the 5th to be 3-1 down.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Poor Bernard is sooking it up about Hewitt, accusing him of favouring players. Well Bernie boy, Hewitt is probably sick and tired of wasting his time and breath on the likes of you. He's found a group of players that have got a bit of ticker and not a pea heart like yourself.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
tigerman said:
Poor Bernard is sooking it up about Hewitt, accusing him of favouring players. Well Bernie boy, Hewitt is probably sick and tired of wasting his time and breath on the likes of you. He's found a group of players that have got a bit of ticker and not a peas heart like yourself.

Yeh, he quits in matches, acts like a flog, talks rubbish 95% of the time and has a go at a guy with probably less raw talent but 1000 times the application.

Way to win friends and influence people Bernie.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I'm no fan of Hewitt but even if some of what Tomic had to say has some truth to it, his timing just makes him seem like a bad loser who's looking for someone to blame for his own inadequacies.
Tomic is just a spoiled brat. Tennis Australia have no doubt had enough of him & his antics.

As for Andy Murray? Sometimes it's just better to retire quietly. His injury no doubt is serious but the tears & histrionics in the pre game presser were ridiculous & screamed of an attention seeker. Is he retiring or not? So many mixed messages.
He's got history though. The guy has always been a drama queen. Rarely has there been a player who exaggerated injury on court when things weren't going his way in a match. Never been a fan of the way he presented himself on court.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Tigers of Old said:
I'm no fan of Hewitt but even if some of what Tomic had to say has some truth to it, his timing just makes him seem like a bad loser who's looking for someone to blame for his own inadequacies.
Tomic is just a spoiled brat. Tennis Australia have no doubt had enough of him & his antics.

As for Andy Murray? Sometimes it's just better to retire quietly. His injury no doubt is serious but the tears & histrionics in the pre game presser were ridiculous & screamed of an attention seeker. Is he retiring or not? So many mixed messages.
He's got history though. The guy has always been a drama queen. Rarely has there been a player who exaggerated injury on court when things weren't going his way in a match. Never been a fan of the way he presented himself on court.

I started cutting Andy Murray some slack when i read that he narrowly escaping the Dunblane massacre. Some fruit loop killed 16 students and a teacher at the school gym. Andy was on his way to the gym when they heard the shooting and ran for their lives.
He didn't know it at the time but he and his family knew the shooter and had even given him lifts in his mums car. He has said that the massacre has had a big effect on his life.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
tigerman said:
I started cutting Andy Murray some slack when i read that he narrowly escaping the Dunblane massacre. Some fruit loop killed 16 students and a teacher at the school gym. Andy was on his way to the gym when they heard the shooting and ran for their lives.
He didn't know it at the time but he and his family knew the shooter and had even given him lifts in his mums car. He has said that the massacre has had a big effect on his life.

That's unfortunate or fortunate depending how you look at it. Might go some way towards explaining his behaviour but doesn't make me like him more.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
MD Jazz said:
Yeh, he quits in matches, acts like a flog, talks rubbish 95% of the time and has a go at a guy with probably less raw talent but 1000 times the application.

Way to win friends and influence people Bernie.
And what has Tomic actually accomplished as a tennis player? The bloke he’s slagging off won 2 Slams and was world no 1. They’re things that Tomic can only dream of.

JoMamma

Tiger Rookie
Oct 4, 2004
CarnTheTiges said:
And what has Tomic actually accomplished as a tennis player? The bloke he’s slagging off won 2 Slams and was world no 1. They’re things that Tomic can only dream of.
I dont think he's having a go at his tennis career. He's having a go at the person.
If you've had dealings with the Hewitt clan, you'd know where Tomic is coming from......

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
JoMamma said:
I dont think he's having a go at his tennis career. He's having a go at the person.
If you've had dealings with the Hewitt clan, you'd know where Tomic is coming from......
I know about the Griswolds, but Tomic made it very personal. When he says no one likes him, you could almost think he was referring to himself in 3rd person. I don’t think Tomic has many friends, if any, on the circuit.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Shattered that both Tomic and Kyrgious have been bundled out. They deserve so much more.....