Tennis | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tennis

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I'm not a Kyrios fan, but to his credit his demeanour this summer has been a lot better. I hope it's not because he's on 16 week suspended ban, time will tell.

The suspended sentence wasn't in effect during the Aussie Open. It's not an event that's overseen by the ATP as it's a Grand Slam. So that wasn't a factor in his demeanour during the tournament.

Agree with JB. The criticism of Kyrios here is over the top. The kid did well. No one expected him to drag the 4th to a tie breaker.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Yeah Kyrios did extremely well. A couple more first serves in the tie breakers and he wins that match I reckon.

I would have ditched the drop shot too I reckon. Obviously part of a plan but I don't think he executed it well

Its a kind of physical and psychological torture playing Nadal, and the kid held up exceptionally.

I think Nadal will win the title.

Reactions: 1 user

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Needs to get fitter and then he'll be able to compete with the top 3.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Needs to get fitter and then he'll be able to compete with the top 3.

I am not sure it is fitness. It is more a mental thing. Nadal has proven his talent but he has been in many 5 set thrillers and he already has that bank of experience in tight games.

Nick has not got that yet. Yesterday added to his experience and he did fight it out. Needs to work harder and get to more of these games against the best.

The big step, between good and great, is that final mental hurdle. Much the same as Richmond. We now fully believe, no questions. Nadal is at that level. Kyrios can take the step.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Yeah Kyrios did extremely well. A couple more first serves in the tie breakers and he wins that match I reckon.

Massive call. Kyrgios hitting 75% of first serves in is an incredible stat. He averages 65% so couldn't serve much better. Nadal clearly the better player, just didn't convert as many opportunities as he should have. Nadal has more gears he could have gone through. Kyrgios isn't scared of the big moment though.

Think he is still a fair way off winning a major, Wimbledon his best shot with that service weapon, shorter points etc. No one really will want to play him anywhere but especially at Wimbledon, particularly early in a draw.

His attitude and behaviour were a massive improvement, gone was his self-indulgent wankery. Kudos to him.

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
There's no way the Kyrios of old brings the 4th set back to a tie breaker. He would have given in by then. Tennis players have a track record of maturing and settling down. Agassi and Hewitt were complete *smile* when they were young.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Massive call. Kyrgios hitting 75% of first serves in is an incredible stat. He averages 65% so couldn't serve much better. Nadal clearly the better player, just didn't convert as many opportunities as he should have. Nadal has more gears he could have gone through. Kyrgios isn't scared of the big moment though.

Think he is still a fair way off winning a major, Wimbledon his best shot with that service weapon, shorter points etc. No one really will want to play him anywhere but especially at Wimbledon, particularly early in a draw.

His attitude and behaviour were a massive improvement, gone was his self-indulgent wankery. Kudos to him.

Im pretty sure he didnt go at 75% in the tiebreakers

But agree nadal is a level above.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I'm staggered by the praise for Kyrgios, and all this rubbish about how he has changed his attitude.

I watched him last night for the first time this summer and he was constantly loudly and visibly swearing at the people in his box, himself and the umpires, not to mention smashing a racquet and having a tantrum and belittling an umpire.

He is a complete an utter jerk and a true example of the very worst of sport and indeed society.

Tennis should have had the backbone to suspend him for a year a long time ago with another year suspended.
Needs to get out of that party mode. I'm staggered at him been referred to as a kid.....24yo!!

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I'm staggered by the praise for Kyrgios, and all this rubbish about how he has changed his attitude.

I watched him last night for the first time this summer and he was constantly loudly and visibly swearing at the people in his box, himself and the umpires, not to mention smashing a racquet and having a tantrum and belittling an umpire.

He is a complete an utter jerk and a true example of the very worst of sport and indeed society.

Tennis should have had the backbone to suspend him for a year a long time ago with another year suspended.
I feel similar. He’s like the Dave Warner of tennis. They act like dicks then pull their head in for 5 minutes and people say “He’s not too bad”.

Guaranteed he,ll make a *smile* of himself again before to long.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
As we get older we become more intolerant of misbehaving youth. Most grow out of it, some don't but are still regarded champions of the game. McEnroe far worse throughout his career than Kyrios is.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Ash Barty unleashes her inner Tiger! Like the RFC team she absorbs the opponents best punch and then goes whack! and knocks them out.

Well done Ash.:clap2 Hopefully she can go on and win the whole thing. Kvitova and Riske are tough opponents for her and she has handled them both. The remaining 2 matches are well within her capabilities.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Im pretty sure he didnt go at 75% in the tiebreakers

But agree nadal is a level above.

Yeh he didn't but in general couldn't serve much better. Some of their points were great but Nadal (and Fed/Novak) keep getting that extra ball back. Kyrgios dedictation to training & fitness will dictate everything.

Think TBR is a little harsh, Kyrgios summer has been a big improvement on his previous efforts. Should be judged on his current behaviour, if he does slip up he will get justifiably panned I imagine.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
As we get older we become more intolerant of misbehaving youth. Most grow out of it, some don't but are still regarded champions of the game. McEnroe far worse throughout his career than Kyrios is.
Yeh McEnroe was a total arse. Just wish Fitzy did belt him.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

Here's the more significant difference between McEnroe and Kyrgios.

McEnroe attained the No. 1 ranking in both singles and doubles, finishing his career with 77 singles and 78 doubles titles; this remains the highest men's combined total of the Open Era. He won seven Grand Slam singles titles, four at the US Open and three at Wimbledon, and nine men's Grand Slam doubles titles. His singles match record of 82–3 in 1984 remains the best single season win rate of the Open Era.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
9 years of age and experience between Nadal and Kyrgios ..
Kyrgios idea of Aces for Bushfire victims says something about him growing up ..
I like him, tennis is uptight and elitist, so anyone that bucks that gets points ..

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
9 years of age and experience between Nadal and Kyrgios ..
Kyrgios idea of Aces for Bushfire victims says something about him growing up ..
I like him, tennis is uptight and elitist, so anyone that bucks that gets points ..

Nadal won the French Open just days after he turned 19

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
You seem fixated with age antman. Regardless of age, tennis has a history of spoiled brats. Kyrios is not the worst there was and there will be many worse than him in years to come. Even Federer was a little *smile* when he first arrived on the scene. Winning has a way of calming you.

Just wait till the self-entitled millennials start playing on the open tours.......

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
Nadal won the French Open just days after he turned 19
Apropos of nothing really, it's interesting that Australia has produced one of the most decent people on the professional tennis circuit and arguably, one of the most objectionable of the past decade.