Tennis | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tennis

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Respectfully...I disagree. Fitness has a psychological impact. Players use drop shots more late in matches when they are losing. They are trying to end the point early because they know how hard it is to hit the ball accurately and get to the ball with balance. Fitness makes a huge difference. Djokovic used to fall to bits at the Aussie Open in his early career. Injury time-outs, lying down on the court, sulking. He couldn't handle the conditions because his fitness wasn't there and it affected his mental game. The biggest difference in his game is his fitness level. The sulking on court disappeared when he got serious about it. Federer (who I hate) is extremely fit. Murray's natural game gets him into the top 25 - top 20. The thing that got him into the top 5 was his fitness. His ability to stay in points longer and still be hitting the ball with pace and direction 10 shots into a rally. Nadal is a beast. To play from so deep in the court and put the amount of work on the ball he does - again and again and again - takes a massive engine (and a physique like a hermit crab, that left arm is obscene).

Kyrgios has the game to beat anyone. His best chance would be to look at old Djokovic footage, to understand that getting is body into a better place calmed his mind. That is the path for Nick if he wants it. But "if he wants it" is a huge question. His later 2019 and start to 2020 suggests he seems to want it a bit more lately.

Good obs. Fitness is the massive difference. Djoker is a machine, his ability to chase down everything is amazing. That's not mental, but it must create massive mental problems for his opponents.

Reactions: 1 user

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
Yeah Tennys; and he's from Tennessee as well :mhihi

Agree on Roger; reckon he's done. And so he bloody well should be at 38! It's been a remarkable career with outstanding longevity.

He may well remain in the top 5 for another year or so but it's hard to seeing him beating Rafa and Novak again. They have 5 and 6 years on him respectively.
Remarkable that Roger and Lleyton are the same age. Feels like a decade since the latter has played.

Call me old fashioned, but I love anyone who hits a one handed backhand. And that backhand is a thing of beauty.

Reactions: 1 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Yeah Tennys; and he's from Tennessee as well :mhihi

Agree on Roger; reckon he's done. And so he bloody well should be at 38! It's been a remarkable career with outstanding longevity.

He may well remain in the top 5 for another year or so but it's hard to seeing him beating Rafa and Novak again. They have 5 and 6 years on him respectively.
Not really a fan of Roger, but I was glad he beat Sandgren. Bloke was wearing a Melbourne jumper when they interviewed him!

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Call me old fashioned, but I love anyone who hits a one handed backhand. And that backhand is a thing of beauty.

Im the same L&D. Old fashioned, and love the way Roger smacks that one handed backhand. I like a good serve/volley too.

Is Nadal fully blown OCD and getting worse? His rituals seem to be more elaborate and torturous.

the other night, I dont reckon he could step outside the court on the change of ends without his towel. He stopped with his toes on the outside line, calling frantically for his towel. when he got it, he stepped out.

He had heaps of other weird ritual sequences too. Way more than the old bum, nose, ear, ear, hair, before a serve.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Zerev is a very funny guy, but also has an amazing heart. To promise to donate his entire winnings if he was to win the whole shebang is staggering. I'm barracking for him.

• Love

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Zerev is a very funny guy, but also has an amazing heart. To promise to donate his entire winnings if he was to win the whole shebang is staggering. I'm barracking for him.

he said that? He's playing for charity?

Go Zeza

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Not really a fan of Roger, but I was glad he beat Sandgren. Bloke was wearing a Melbourne jumper when they interviewed him!

loved Federer in his day but I am now a bit over him these days and get the feeling that he should have retired many years earlier - a bit like an old bloke hanging around schoolies ,

........but it a credit to him that his body is still up to it.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Rafa's got a Razor Ray female version to handle tonight. Has virtually broken his rituals and concentration.

Last edited:

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Remarkable that Roger and Lleyton are the same age. Feels like a decade since the latter has played.

Oh I agree. I can't stand the bloke but I love that backhand. The little grubby bloke, Wawrinka - always looks like he needs a good wash and to blow his nose - has an even better one but without the consistency of Roger's. He can bang that thing down the line with serious interest on it when he's up and about.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Oh I agree. I can't stand the bloke but I love that backhand. The little grubby bloke, Wawrinka - always looks like he needs a good wash and to blow his nose - has an even better one but without the consistency of Roger's. He can bang that thing down the line with serious interest on it when he's up and about.
I'll assume you don't like swiss cheese either? :))

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Rafa's got a Razor Ray female version to handle tonight. Has virtually broken his rituals and concentration.

Yeah. I thought when I was posting about Rafa's worsening OCD, that it would bring him unstuck.

and it partially did I reckon.

Jeez Theim hits a sublime backhand.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
loved Federer in his day but I am now a bit over him these days and get the feeling that he should have retired many years earlier - a bit like an old bloke hanging around schoolies ,

........but it a credit to him that his body is still up to it.

Do not go gentle into that good night, / Old age should burn and rave at close of day; / Rage, rage against the dying of the light.”

Reactions: 1 users