Territory Thunder in the QAFL!! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Territory Thunder in the QAFL!!

Djevv

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2005
NT
www.youtube.com
I went to see this match on the weekend. Well worth the $5 entry. Cracking see-sawing game against last years premiers, Southport. Thunder got up by 2 goals and it was fantastic in a very tight last Qtr to see the crowd get right into it! Anyway it was a great way to get away from the depression of following the Tiges in the AFL! Any other Territorians catch the game?

Any other Queenslanders who go to see the QAFL make sure you go catch a Thunder game - I think we'll go alright this season ;D!

hopper

Vile weed!
Jul 28, 2004
Darwin
I was there too Djevv. Was a great night and a great atmosphere - with all 3000 people barracking for the one team. Was clearly a step up in standard from the NTFL. Great to see some of the local NT boys do well. Thought Jarred Ilett and Relton Roberts were exciting - and the Waratah player May was great across hb.

I'll definitely be backing up to watch the rest of the games in Darwin. A big step forward for footy in the NT.

Djevv

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2005
NT
www.youtube.com
hopper said:
I was there too Djevv. Was a great night and a great atmosphere - with all 3000 people barracking for the one team. Was clearly a step up in standard from the NTFL. Great to see some of the local NT boys do well. Thought Jarred Ilett and Relton Roberts were exciting - and the Waratah player May was great across hb.

I'll definitely be backing up to watch the rest of the games in Darwin. A big step forward for footy in the NT.

Yep, its fantastic for the NT, hopefully some of the talent up here will get more attention.

I thought Ewing was good at FF as well. Very unlucky with that free at the end! Puatjimi (sp?) was built like a stick but was pretty exciting and gave us a lot of run. I am hoping the Tiwi boys will come into the team in the near future though - I'm pretty sure none played. Any idea why?

I'll be there in a fortnight as well.

hopper

Vile weed!
Jul 28, 2004
Darwin
Faxed in my membership form yesterday so I'm on board.

Yes, was also impressed with Ewing. Thought he played a strong game and was unselfish too - he marshalled the forward line well. Thought Shepherd in the ruck was very good too. He's a major asset as we aren't flushed with great big men up here. Agree also that Puatajimi (sp?) was exciting - geez he's quick when he turns it on. His goal in the first a good example of that.

Will be there in a fortnight too. A most enjoyable night and a great excuse for a beer or 5!

snaps truly

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2008
Hobart
I agree, it was a good game.
I have reservations about our guys lasting the year, after only having a two week break after the G.F for half the team (St. Mary's, 10 players in squad). Read that the Territory thunder has requested that in the ntfl next season that Thunder contracted players only play a maximum of 8 games with their respective club.

Djevv

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2005
NT
www.youtube.com
Yes I agree about running the season out. Our list seems to be shorter than other clubs also, is that because we have no seconds side? Anyway we'll see how things go I guess. I am especially interested to see how we go against Aspley today away from home.

Djevv

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2005
NT
www.youtube.com
snaps truly said:
what was the score DJ, was outta town, did we win ?

Belted by the Lions reserves apparently. 88 points. Lions apparently just too big - was a bit of a problem against Southport as well.

hopper

Vile weed!
Jul 28, 2004
Darwin
Ah well, let's see how the boys go back on our own patch at Marrara against Daryl White's Mt.Gravatt. I'll be there with bells on Sat night!

Djevv

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2005
NT
www.youtube.com
Well they're turning Marrara into a fortress. A 58pt belting over the previously undefeated Vultures! I think it was a bit warm for the Southerners last night!

Geez those Tiwi boys running through the middle are exciting and for guys built like sticks they can tackle as well!

I kept going up to the pub to check on the Tiges and that was a good story too.

Djevv

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2005
NT
www.youtube.com
Hmm, struggling to win away from home. Thats two in a row we have lost. Pretty competitive tho - hopefully this will develop as the season goes on.

hopper

Vile weed!
Jul 28, 2004
Darwin
Ah, an away win for the Thunder. Emphatically as well. And against a famous name too - one Nathan Ablett!

Djevv

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2005
NT
www.youtube.com
Got to the game tonight, glad I did, gave the Lions reserves a 50 pt belting! Ran them right off their feet. I thought the Iletts, Lohde, 'jimi and Munkara were all terrific. I think we can get to the finals from here!

Anyone else get to the game?

snaps truly

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2008
Hobart
not this time Djevy. Good win, especially after the belting they gave us in the first meeting. Johnson and Notting play ? Anyone else of note for the lions ?

Djevv

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2005
NT
www.youtube.com
snaps truly said:
not this time Djevy. Good win, especially after the belting they gave us in the first meeting. Johnson and Notting play ? Anyone else of note for the lions ?

Notting played, Johnston no. Jason Roe played. I think Dalzeill as well. They had a bunch of biiiig boys as well - much taller and stronger than our guys. But every time one of those slight indig boys got the ball they were lucky to lay a finger on them. Too hot for them I fancy - wheres the dry season got to I wonder? :hihi

Yeah we go alright up here, but it's a different story when we play in their territory.

hopper

Vile weed!
Jul 28, 2004
Darwin
Djevv said:
Got to the game tonight, glad I did, gave the Lions reserves a 50 pt belting! Ran them right off their feet. I thought the Iletts, Lohde, 'jimi and Munkara were all terrific. I think we can get to the finals from here!

Anyone else get to the game?
Yep, I was there. Was very impressed by the Thunder. 'Jimi, Motlop and the "aeroplane man" Puruntatameri were wonderful. Was great to see. Small crowd but the boys were fantastic. Great to see some decent footy played at TIO Stadium! A thoroughly enjoyable night. The big ruckman (no.45) was influential too.

Djevv

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2005
NT
www.youtube.com
snaps truly said:
We haven't done too bad away, won 2 or 3 ? Pretty happy with the first season so far.

We are now 8-4 and all the losses have been away. I think we are 2-4 away but the wins were against weak sides. Huge game against Mt Gravatt coming up next weekend. It's a logjam at the top of the table with the top 5 all within 1 or 2 games of each other.

Yeah the season has been great, but it'd be fantastic to make the finals and - even better - to get a home final. To do that we need to beat some of the stronger sides away.

Djevv

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2005
NT
www.youtube.com
Hmm, not quite ready to take the QAFL flag up North yet :p. Congrats to Morningside however, a well drilled unit who gave us a footy lesson in our own backyard.