Terrorist attack - Istanbul | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Terrorist attack - Istanbul

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Another major international airport attacked. This time Istanbul Turkey.
Reports of up to 50 dead, many more injured.
Not sure how you can protect yourself from people who will blow themselves up.
Worrying times for the world.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Tigers of Old said:
Another major international airport attacked. This time Istanbul Turkey.
Reports of up to 50 dead, many more injured.
Not sure how you can protect yourself from people who will blow themselves up.
Worrying times for the world.

Makes me not want to travel o/s at all.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Wont stop me from travelling. More likely to get hit by a car, eaten by a shark or stabbed in the neck by a feral RFC supporting during a heated debate over McJesus' worth.

I think it's just a matter of time before some deluded looney attacks Aus on home soil.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
nothing like this will ever stop me from travelling. and I had a bit of a close shave with a terrorist attack last year. they win otherwise.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Ian4 said:
nothing like this will ever stop me from travelling. and I had a bit of a close shave with a terrorist attack last year. they win otherwise.

really ? Still travelling after a close shave ? You've got balls.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Baloo said:
really ? Still travelling after a close shave ? You've got balls.

ball in the singular :rofl

in hindsight a close shave probably isn't the right word, but couldn't think of the right one. i was on exactly the same train 1 week earlier, which i found a bit freaky at the time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Thalys_train_attack

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
My girlfriend was in Bali the day before the first Bali bombings, and I was in Bali the day of the second Bali bombings. I walked past the restaurant about four hours before it was bombed.

I don't stop travelling to Indonesia or anywhere else because of terrorism.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I must admit I did squib it. We were going to go to either Paris or NYC this Christmas. After Paris attacks we decided on NYC. Yes I know its much of a muchness but da wife felt better going to NYC.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
tigertim said:
I must admit I did squib it. We were going to go to either Paris or NYC this Christmas. After Paris attacks we decided on NYC. Yes I know its much of a muchness but da wife felt better going to NYC.

yeah my missus refuses to fly Malaysian airlines. I'd have no issue flying with them. it annoys me because i love flying home from Europe via KL.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
antman said:
My girlfriend was in Bali the day before the first Bali bombings, and I was in Bali the day of the second Bali bombings. I walked past the restaurant about four hours before it was bombed.

I don't stop travelling to Indonesia or anywhere else because of terrorism.

Mostly agree. Won't be visiting Iraq or Syria anytime soon though.

Funny story actually, a couple of years ago my girlfriend was moving house, (in with me), she had a big garage sale. This Iraqi bloke came and bought some stuff and we got talking. We was a uni lecturer over there but a restauranter here. Anyway it had been a long day, I'd had a couple of stubbies, and I've always wanted to go to Iran, still do. Dumb-arse me gets Iran and Iraq mixed up. And I say 'I really want to go and visit Iraq'. This bloke just looks at me like I was crazy, and says 'what?' I said it again, and he says, 'my friend, you go there, you will probably get killed'. Then I mumbled something about wanting to go when its peaceful because I was too embarrassed to admit the mix up, he just shook his head, and said 'just come to my restaurant, I give you Iraqi food, you won't get killed'. I said OK

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
My close shave came on the day of the Russell street bombing. Was having a liquid lunch at a pub that used to be on the corner of Russell and Lonsdale with a mate. We decided to have one more beer before I would go back to work. Two minutes later we heard and felt the blast. If I'd been a more conscientious type I probably would have been walking past the Police station right then.

I've never missed an opportunity of having "one more for the road" since that day.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
jb03 said:
Are you suggesting it is Turkey's fault?

Nah JB thats down to whatever bastards planned and executed the attack. Just thinking about the complexity of the politics over there but probably went too early with that discussion.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
"Yet another terrorist attack, this time in Turkey. Will the world ever realize what is going on? So sad. We must do everything possible to keep this horrible terrorism outside the United States."
- Trump

I can relate to those remarks, don't care if it makes me a bad person.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
"Yet another terrorist attack, this time in Turkey. Will the world ever realize what is going on? So sad. We must do everything possible to keep this horrible terrorism outside the United States."
- Trump

The fear of being labelled a racist, is greater than the fear of the terrorists themselves.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
- Trump

wanting to stop terrorism doesn't make you a bad person. We're all 'bad people' depending on your perspective and who you talk to. History shows though that the US foreign policy direction over the last 30 years has made things worse. Trump seems to want to ramp up what has failed.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
antman said:
Nah JB thats down to whatever bastards planned and executed the attack. Just thinking about the complexity of the politics over there but probably went too early with that discussion.

It's usually something to do with Israel when something like this happens to Turkey.