Terrorist Attacks | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Terrorist Attacks

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Seems like they are so frequent today that it's a bit much having a thread for everyone.

125 Killed in Iraq. ISIS claiming responsibility. That's the biggest one yet I think.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
http://www.theweek.in/news/india/dont-say-islam-is-a-religion-of-peace-taslima-nasreen.html

A day after 20 people were killed by Islamic terrorists at a restaurant in Dhaka, noted Bangladeshi author Taslima Nasreen condemned the bloody attack and asserted that Islam was not a religion of peace.

In a series of tweets, she also questioned the arguments that poverty makes people terrorist. "You don't need poverty, illiteracy, frustration, America's foreign policy or Israel's conspiracy to become an Islamic terrorist. You need Islam," she said.

Taslima pointed out all Dhaka terrorists were well educated. “All Dhaka terrorists were from rich families (and) studied in elite schools. Please do not say poverty and illiteracy make people Islamic terrorists,” she said.

The controversial writer, who has been living in exile since 1994 after death threats from Islamic fundamentalists, said Nibras Islam, the Dhaka attack terrorist, studied at Turkish Hopes school and North South and Monash University. He was later brainwashed and became a terrorist, she added.

“For humanity's sake please do not say Islam is a religion of peace. Not anymore,” Taslima said.

Quoting senior journalist Saleem Samad, she said: “Bangladesh has been a major contributor to global terror. Bangladeshi men have joined terror outfits in 36 countries."

Twenty hostages, including 19-year-old Indian girl Tarushi Jain, were hacked to death by terrorists inside the cafe popular with expats in the diplomatic zone before commandos launched an assault killing six attackers and capturing one alive.

Reports said, the militants performed a religion identity check on their captives and asked them to recite the Quran. Those who recited verses from the holy Muslim book were spared, while others were slaughtered, they said.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-36706761?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

From the article:

"A suicide bomber has attacked the Saudi city of Medina, close to the Prophet's Mosque, one of Islam's holiest sites, according to local media reports.
The bomber detonated his device as security officers were breaking their Ramadan fast, al-Arabiya TV said.
News outlets said at least two of the officers had been killed, but there has been no official confirmation.
The mosque is the burial place of the Prophet Muhammad and Medina the second-holiest city in Islam after Mecca.
State-linked Sabq news and the Okaz newspaper also carried reports of the suicide attack.

Earlier, at least one explosion rocked the eastern city of Qatif.
Qatif is home to many minority Shia Muslims and the blast appeared to target a Shia mosque. The attacker was killed but no other casualties were reported.
A suspected suicide bomber also died after detonating a device near the US consulate in the city of Jeddah. Two security officers were slightly injured as they tackled the man, but no-one else was hurt."

"This week has seen a number of deadly attacks either claimed by or blamed on the self-styled IS.

A suicide gun and bomb attack targeted Istanbul airport on 28 June. The death toll rose to 45, with 240 injured.

Attackers struck a cafe in Bangladesh's capital, Dhaka, last Friday night.

Twenty hostages and two policemen were killed.
And a massive truck bomb in Iraq's capital, Baghdad, on Sunday left at least 165 people dead."

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
where is the outcry from the western media? where is the Facebook flags of Turkey and Saudi Arabia?

Chelsea

Tiger Rookie
Mar 28, 2005
Hi again Ian4,
I can only assume that when it comes to terrorist attacks in these countries, people are desensitised to this type of violence in these areas as we have heard of it numerous times before.
I think with the French and Belgian attacks in particular, these are countries that many Australians have visited and are not known for having violent attacks such as this.
It has more an impact as we have more of a connection. Its not just an attack on these countries but on their way of life which is similar to our way of life.
That's my two cents worth.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Chelsea said:
Hi again Ian4,
I can only assume that when it comes to terrorist attacks in these countries, people are desensitised to this type of violence in these areas as we have heard of it numerous times before.
I think with the French and Belgian attacks in particular, these are countries that many Australians have visited and are not known for having violent attacks such as this.
It has more an impact as we have more of a connection. Its not just an attack on these countries but on their way of life which is similar to our way of life.
That's my two cents worth.

It's a bit more complicated I reckon - we are a strange lot in Aussie sometimes - attacks in France and Belgium are front pages for days but not the same concern for the victims in Turkey etc (and there is a very large Turkish population in Aus) - there is some degree of outrage on the black shootings in America but most people here again don't seem to really care - and it is proved that we shouldn't have attacked and invaded Iraq and no one here even bats an eyelid (if that was Russia invading an independent country illegally all hell would have broken out). As I said - we are a strange lot here in Aus when it comes to race based issues - or are we just a little bit racist?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
year of the tiger said:
it is proved that we shouldn't have attacked and invaded Iraq and no one here even bats an eyelid

Maybe it's for the best as it has flushed out the Islamists. Can't be having 9/11's every few years.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Maybe it's for the best as it has flushed out the Islamists. Can't be having 9/11's every few years.

I am yet to be convinced - still think it was wrong of us to invade but I am no expert in the Middle East

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Totally disagree Chelsea. A high percentage of Australians who have been to Europe have been to Gallipoli via Istanbul (including myself). It is 100% because they are an Islamic country/not considered a western country.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Ian4 said:
where is the outcry from the western media? where is the Facebook flags of Turkey and Saudi Arabia?

As cringeworthy as those stupid coloured lights over city landmarks at night....

martyshire

^^ Jack Graham that is
Aug 11, 2007
Rowville...or maybe London
Ian4 said:
Totally disagree Chelsea. A high percentage of Australians who have been to Europe have been to Gallipoli via Istanbul (including myself). It is 100% because they are an Islamic country/not considered a western country.
Not 100% that it's Islamic IMO. Partly just that it's not in Western Europe/British Isles, partly that it's a country with a lot of poverty, partly that it's a country that is culturally very different to here.

IN saying that, I do think the media misjudged this when it comes to Turkey. As you say, many Australians have a much deeper connection with Turkey than with, say, Ukraine. I was at ANZAC cove, Istanbul and even Ataturk Airport myself as a 22yo backpacker. My experience was one of a diverse country (albeit Muslim majority) that was very welcoming of westerners (especially Australians & NZs given the flow of WWI tourists - which they seemed to be highly impressed by).

I suspect a handful of media editors have applied a simplistic formula to this (e.g. Muslim/poorer/borders Syria = of less interest to Australian readers) and this failure to look at it more deeply has contributed to the lack of coverage, which in turn has created less interest, and so on.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
LeeToRainesToRoach said:

Flushed out or created?

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Tigers of Old said:
Another attack today in Nice, France 70+ dead as a truck runs over a crowd of innocent people.
What the hell? :(

Yeah was about to post it ToO. Seems more to it if reports that the truck was loaded with arms and grenades are correct. Maybe a larger coordinated attack that went pear shaped?

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Tigers of Old said:
Another attack today in Nice, France 70+ dead as a truck runs over a crowd of innocent people.
What the hell? :(
They're just vile filthy *smile*ers that do this sh!t. Sadly there's no end to it.