The Adam Treloar situation and the AFLPA | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Adam Treloar situation and the AFLPA

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Can someone tell me if the AFLPA has officially commented on the Treloar situation?

I can't say I have heard anything from the AFLPA on this and the silence is deafening.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
I commented a while back on where they were on this. Still haven't seen anyone from AFLPA come out and comment or support. Still wondering.

Reactions: 1 user

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
What do you want them to say?
Well, maybe for a start that they are 100% behind Treloar and that CFC must abide by a legitimate, legal contract that was mutually binding. End of story. With legal action to follow any breaches of.

Reactions: 1 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Well, maybe for a start that they are 100% behind Treloar and that CFC must abide by a legitimate, legal contract that was mutually binding. End of story. With legal action to follow any breaches of.
Can't recall the AFLPA saying that too often.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Would have thought it pretty obvious. But seems players are left isolated to fight for themselves against powerful clubs. Yet receive significant dues from players and have plenty of $$ behind them.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Do the AFLPA say anything when players want to leave clubs while contracted? Dunkley & Dogs being a current example?

Reactions: 2 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
What do you want them to say?

I'd have thought they would come out and say, at least, that they are monitoring the situation and supporting Adam. Although personally, I'd have thought it might be more of the ilk of Leon's previous posts in this thread.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
AFLPA could say whatever they like, but they seem to be toothless and therefore ignored.

I have never heard of a player going to them for support - maybe dealing with individual cases is beneath them.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Individual cases would be handled behind the scenes. I don't know if they do or they don't, but they wouldn't come out and say if they were supporting or representing Treloar with Collingwood unless he wanted them too.

I think also Treloar's manager would handle this - the contract is between the player, the manager and the club.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia

Do the AFLPA say anything when players want to leave clubs while contracted? Dunkley & Dogs being a current example?

Treloar's situation seems to be significantly different. And to use the argument that the AFLPA stays silent when players want to move is completely disingenuous. Funnily enough the AFLPA represents the players' interests, not the club's or the AFLs.

I am no lawyer, but for a start, the Pies are reported to have told him that they don't see how he can play at the level required while his wife and daughter live in Queensland. I'd have thought that that might have been a breach of discrimination laws.

Secondly, the club is his employer. Their handling of the situation might be easily construed as bullying, another hot IR topic.

Thirdly, he has a legally binding contract at Collingwood which they are bound to honour. I am not suggesting that Collingwood would fail in their legal obligation, but they are clearly pressuring him to move on and alleviate that legal obligation. The player has made it clear though that he wants to stay. So surely an organisation that supposedly represents the player's interests would at least come out and publicly support him in his intention to stay. It might not happen all the time, but this is a high profile case being played out in the media. If I was a player I'd like to know the Association is backing its man, and if I was the AFLPA, I'd want to have everyone think I was doing the same.

Finally, the AFLPA launched an investigation into allegations of impropriety about Treloar's agent getting medical advice from the Magpies surrounding Treloar's secret hip surgery before he subsequently moved to the Pies. They found that his agent had no case to answer, which was publicly in Collingwood's favour. Now their client is coping it from the same club, and they are staying silent. It doesn't sit right with me.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Do you ever hear them say anything? I posted at the height of the Lynch character assassination and asked where was Danger as AFLPA spokesperson defending Lynch and calling the dogs in the media off.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
but the principle of a club wanting to trade a contracted player is really just standard footy business, and created by the players themselves. For every player in Treloar's boat there's three the other way so they can't whinge too much.

I keep hearing this argument about players having to suck it up and I am sorry, but it makes no sense at all. The AFPLA surely represents each player both collectively and as an individual. If they don't why do they exist?

What exactly do the players in the other boat to Treloar look like?

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Treloar's situation seems to be significantly different. And to use the argument that the AFLPA stays silent when players want to move is completely disingenuous. Funnily enough the AFLPA represents the players' interests, not the club's or the AFLs.

I am no lawyer, but for a start, the Pies are reported to have told him that they don't see how he can play at the level required while his wife and daughter live in Queensland. I'd have thought that that might have been a breach of discrimination laws.

Secondly, the club is his employer. Their handling of the situation might be easily construed as bullying, another hot IR topic.

Thirdly, he has a legally binding contract at Collingwood which they are bound to honour. I am not suggesting that Collingwood would fail in their legal obligation, but they are clearly pressuring him to move on and alleviate that legal obligation. The player has made it clear though that he wants to stay. So surely an organisation that supposedly represents the player's interests would at least come out and publicly support him in his intention to stay. It might not happen all the time, but this is a high profile case being played out in the media. If I was a player I'd like to know the Association is backing its man, and if I was the AFLPA, I'd want to have everyone think I was doing the same.

Finally, the AFLPA launched an investigation into allegations of impropriety about Treloar's agent getting medical advice from the Magpies surrounding Treloar's secret hip surgery before he subsequently moved to the Pies. They found that his agent had no case to answer, which was publicly in Collingwood's favour. Now their client is coping it from the same club, and they are staying silent. It doesn't sit right with me.
Agree

Treloar has been treated disgracefully by the Filth, he has twice had his contract backended so that they could get Dayne Beams and Daniel Wells, and now when he's due tp get $900,000 next season the Filth want to flick him :mad:
Grundy should be very nervous about his contract.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I keep hearing this argument about players having to suck it up and I am sorry, but it makes no sense at all.

It makes plenty of sense when you look at the industry. Players want to break contracts more often than clubs. If there needs to be some rule preventing this, it needs to go both ways.

In the US, a player can be traded to another club without their consent, as long as the terms of the contract are not diminished.

Elmer

Tiger Champion
Dec 3, 2005
Agreeing a bit with the Big R of late... so what if Collingwinge are shopping him. No different to a player like Dunkley demanding to leave with 2 years to go. Plans change. They haven't said they won't honour his contact. Until that happens which is highly unlikely, what's it got to do with the AFLPA?

Reactions: 1 users

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
Would have thought it pretty obvious. But seems players are left isolated to fight for themselves against powerful clubs. Yet receive significant dues from players and have plenty of $$ behind them.
I think the AFL pays the dues rather than the players.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
I know he would be leaving a club with a better list than ours so maybe we could take him as a rookie and see how he develops our list!

• Haha

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I'd be concerned, I don't agree with myself most of the time.

But this is actually one of the few areas of AFL life I have experience in. I've moved with a year to go on a contract and been sacked with a year to go. Couldn't really whinge about the second after doing the first.
I can see your point to a certain extent, but what do you think about Treloar agreeing to having his contract backended so the Pies could get Wells and Beams and then getting shopped when his backended payday is due?