The Adam Treloar situation and the AFLPA | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Adam Treloar situation and the AFLPA

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I think it is a very slippery slope to start to use an employee's family life to make predictions about their capacity to do their job.
Used to work for a very, very large multinational. They held management training every year on various factors.

This type of decision - we were told by our company lawyers - would open the business up to discrimination lawsuits.

Treating someone differently, offering promotions or withholding duties because of someones family commitments
was deemed wrong. Where Collingwood have protected themselves possibly, is by discussing it with the player (we
were told not to discuss this - unless raised by the employee first).

Regardless of how the discussion started however, once the "employee" says "no, I'll be fine thanks" we were under strict instruction
to give that person every opportunity to perform whatever role they wanted to go for. It's interesting how the AFL seems to skirt the outside
of these types of scenarios without repercussions.

Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Used to work for a very, very large multinational. They held management training every year on various factors.

This type of decision - we were told by our company lawyers - would open the business up to discrimination lawsuits.

Treating someone differently, offering promotions or withholding duties because of someones family commitments
was deemed wrong. Where Collingwood have protected themselves possibly, is by discussing it with the player (we
were told not to discuss this - unless raised by the employee first).

Regardless of how the discussion started however, once the "employee" says "no, I'll be fine thanks" we were under strict instruction
to give that person every opportunity to perform whatever role they wanted to go for. It's interesting how the AFL seems to skirt the outside
of these types of scenarios without repercussions.

That is the question - how would they have known unless Treloar brought it up? And why would he bring it up if it wasn't going to be an issue for him? He wasn't moving house, they still new wear to send the xmas card.

Many posters are suggesting its none of the clubs business, Treloar appears to have made it their business.

The_General

Staff member
May 4, 2004
That is the question - how would they have known unless Treloar brought it up? And why would he bring it up if it wasn't going to be an issue for him? He wasn't moving house, they still new wear to send the xmas card.

Many posters are suggesting its none of the clubs business, Treloar appears to have made it their business.
It's not like it would have been a secret, particularly when Collingwood has it's own club for whom she played....

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I still can't understand this attempt to pin a football list management balls-up on the wife of a player.

It's bizarre, frankly.

Reactions: 2 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I still can't understand this attempt to pin a football list management balls-up on the wife of a player.

It's bizarre, frankly.
Bizarre and gutless. Poor form.

Reactions: 2 users

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
It's not like it would have been a secret, particularly when Collingwood has it's own club for whom she played....
Can you say that for sure? Given she no longer played for that side since stopping to have a child?

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
I'm sure they have been privvy to a lot more information about TReloar than the public are aware of. They have based their decision on the value they think they will get from him in terms of performance. Which is entirely their perogative. They are paying him x and don't think he is worth it. Not sure why they chose the words they did about his wife and their decision to move apart. They didn't need to bring anything else into it. Did it start from speculation why they were shopping him around or did Treloar bring it up as a reason they were getting rid of him? Or was it Guy in the interview on Fox that raised it? Or did the Pies themselves use it when backgrounding journalists as to why he was being traded?

It's cost them a lot more than just the portion of his salary they will be paying.

Reactions: 1 user

The_General

Staff member
May 4, 2004
Can you say that for sure? Given she no longer played for that side since stopping to have a child?
C'mon, are you that naive that if a player wanted to move clubs, that the originating club wouldn't have to give them a clearance or wouldn't have heard through the grapevine that they were going to leave that club? Eg not returning from maternity leave

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
It would have been more believable if Collingwood said they traded him due to his poop style haircut.

• Wow

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
C'mon, are you that naive that if a player wanted to move clubs, that the originating club wouldn't have to give them a clearance or wouldn't have heard through the grapevine that they were going to leave that club? Eg not returning from maternity leave

So you know this for a fact? And you also know that the netball club would then have told the football club that Adam's wife was going to play for a Bris club?

I thought most are saying it shouldn't matter what choices Adam & his wife make in their private lives. You seem to indicate it is important/relevant.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Weak minds, weak principles, weak people

Hey now, because of covid it was literally impossible for them to hire a repairman for their broken photocopy machine.

Bucks did the best he could.

The_General

Staff member
May 4, 2004
So you know this for a fact? And you also know that the netball club would then have told the football club that Adam's wife was going to play for a Bris club?

I thought most are saying it shouldn't matter what choices Adam & his wife make in their private lives. You seem to indicate it is important/relevant.
It's human nature MD. We had someone in my old organisation leave, and it was mentioned to my department because they were concerned that his brother (in our area) would follow soon after.

You manage risk. If the partner of one of your players is moving interstate, you'd mention to the other part of the business so they can manage the risk. It's common sense.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
It's human nature MD. We had someone in my old organisation leave, and it was mentioned to my department because they were concerned that his brother (in our area) would follow soon after.

You manage risk. If the partner of one of your players is moving interstate, you'd mention to the other part of the business so they can manage the risk. It's common sense.
So what you're saying is it's important. And the club should be aware of it. As it could potentially affect his performance and therefore the risks associated with his employment? Which is exactly what the pies did. But didn't communicate it very well and are now being castigated. And potentially sued.

The_General

Staff member
May 4, 2004
No, what I'm saying is, you communicate to your colleagues and be aware of it.
You don't go to an employee and say "we believe you're not going to cope, therefore we want to treat you differently".

It's up to the individual to tell you they have a problem, or for you to witness the problem and start performance management.
You can't assume someone is going to have an issue, and then tell them we want to change your employment based on nothing
but our own assumptions. This is what the Pies did. They heard that his partner was leaving/looking to leave.
They assumed he wouldn't cope, and then they thought, we're gonna be paying this huge amount of money and getting substandard
performance, we need to do something......"Hey Adam, we think you should go with your partner, because of your mental health".

Reactions: 1 users