The beginning of Puntroadend to now ... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The beginning of Puntroadend to now ...

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
You must have had more money than me growing up!

I had to run down to a milk bar in the township of Wandin, from a cherry orchard about 6km away, but i did it religeously.

I still have them. I used to collect the papers after every grand final.

I also have 2 editions of Inside Football after the 1980 GF. They make great reading even today.

Back then, that was a tradition for me, the Sunday papers, and also the Truth fresh off the press within an hour or so of the games finishing. I'd run back on 3 legs after picking that up!
My dad gave me the money to buy them. As for the Truth, I had to go to a newsagency to pretend I was looking at kids magazines while having a quick peak inside the paper...

Reactions: 1 user

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
You must have had more money than me growing up!

I had to run down to a milk bar in the township of Wandin, from a cherry orchard about 6km away, but i did it religeously.

I still have them. I used to collect the papers after every grand final.

I also have 2 editions of Inside Football after the 1980 GF. They make great reading even today.

Back then, that was a tradition for me, the Sunday papers, and also the Truth fresh off the press within an hour or so of the games finishing. I'd run back on 3 legs after picking that up!

Good combination - Neil Balme and Heart Balm

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Good combination - Neil Balme and Heart Balm
Who could forget the old Dyer Ere articles way back then. The old Truth newspaper was an absolute classic, who could ever forget their reporting of the death of Billy Sneddon.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Top stuff Frick. Where did you get the Sunday Press and Observer?? I used to love riding the bike to the milk bar and buy these every Sunday morning.

And don't forget the early morning bag of lollies that I used to love consuming on the bike road home.
"Nah, I'm not hungry, Mum," I would say when she plonked the porridge down for late breakfast.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
And don't forget the early morning bag of lollies that I used to love consuming on the bike road home.
"Nah, I'm not hungry, Mum," I would say when she plonked the porridge down for late breakfast.
For the lollies, my eyes lit up when my sisters were given 20c for the day, and I (secretly) was given a 50c.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
They were great days back then, on the cherry farm with my brothers. A lot of the bush land around the property is gone now, and the old barn we used to hang out in has been converted to a home now. We used to sit down there and listen to the games on radio. The Captain and the Major, Harry on 3AW etc.

During the summer when i was a bit older we used to have stacks of back backers come through to pick fruit. English, French, German............ aaah yes the old barn was a VERY secluded spot. The bags of lollies back then were given to my nephew to get him to nick off.

The cherry farm is still in the family, but it's changed a lot too.

Very uncomplicated life back then compared to now............ like the ladder at 5pm on a Saturday back then - very uncomplicated.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
They were great days back then, on the cherry farm with my brothers. A lot of the bush land around the property is gone now, and the old barn we used to hang out in has been converted to a home now. We used to sit down there and listen to the games on radio. The Captain and the Major, Harry on 3AW etc.

During the summer when i was a bit older we used to have stacks of back backers come through to pick fruit. English, French, German............ aaah yes the old barn was a VERY secluded spot. The bags of lollies back then were given to my nephew to get him to nick off.

Very uncomplicated life back then compared to now............ like the ladder at 5pm on a Saturday back then - very uncomplicated.
With the 50c, I acted like a rich kid ( :)) ) and always asked the milk bar man to put more bananas, teeth and milk bottles in the lolly bag. Customer service....

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019
With the 50c, I acted like a rich kid ( :)) ) and always asked the milk bar man to put more bananas, teeth and milk bottles in the lolly bag. Customer service....

No clinkers, buddies or liquorice squares?
Not even a packet of fags?
Next you’ll be telling us you never had a glug

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
No clinkers, buddies or liquorice squares?
Not even a packet of fags?
Next you’ll be telling us you never had a glug
Those 3 were my favourites. Got sick of too much licorice they kept giving me before.
Packet of FAGS were separate to the lollies but I bought the pack a few times as they were somehow rare in my area. Geez....imagine these lollies now with kids.....no chance!
Glug was OK but I liked Sunnyboy and that 'Red Indian' raspberry one (forgot the name)

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019
Those 3 were my favourites. Got sick of too much licorice they kept giving me before.
Packet of FAGS were separate to the lollies but I bought the pack a few times as they were somehow rare in my area. Geez....imagine these lollies now with kids.....no chance!
Glug was OK but I liked Sunnyboy and that 'Red Indian' raspberry one (forgot the name)

How could you forget the “Razz”?

Reactions: 1 users

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Fags are now called Fads (you can still get them) and the raspberry version of the glug was Razz

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Fags are now called Fads (you can still get them) and the raspberry version of the glug was Razz

Use to love fags.
Nothing like standing out the front of the corner store with a fag hanging from your mouth.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
If you go to the very bottom of DYER-TRIBE, the threads are dated December 2002 which is as I remember it.

i joined in 2004. But i thought it had been going for at least 5 years prior to that. I remember chatting in internet chat rooms in around 1996-97 (I even met a girl in Texas from a chat room in 1997), so mid 90's isn’t that far-fetched. but 1990 does seem rather unrealistic

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
How could you forget the “Razz”?
Must say they weren't my favourites during the warmer days especially when my teeth went crazy. Just like those lemonade ice blocks. Killed my teeth at times.

Anyone love the 3 Musketeers choc bars? (Still around but not the same taste)

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004

Yep, good times. If the AFL ever did a heritage round where games were played at 2pm at punt road, Vic park, Windy Hill, Junction oval, princes park, Moorabbin, it’d be a fantastic day. Would never happen but it’d be fun.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Use to love fags.
Nothing like standing out the front of the corner store with a fag hanging from your mouth.

I'm hoping the younger readers of this forum know what we're actually talking about or your post is going to raise a few eyebrows, even in these enlightened times! :D

I shouldn't complain too much about life today. I made that post at about 2am this morning after shorting Tesla stocks on the NYSE and making a nice little killing. Nothing like a botched product launch to give a stock a bit of a hammering, not that i usually trade news but the opportunity was too good. You couldn't do that on a mini computer while laying in bed 35 years back!

Dash

Staff member
May 10, 2010

Did you watch Andy Goodwin when he was playing at Wandin?

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Haha Andy Goodwin seemed to like running around training laying his own players out at Wandin, I'm not kidding!

Years earlier I used to watch Wayne Johnson down at Wandin. Him and my oldest brother would take it in turns winning the B&F down there.

In very recent years Joel Garner was at Wandin. Has a younger brother coming through the system too.

Last edited: