The best seat in the house | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The best seat in the house

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
A young guy, about 20, sneaks into the MCG on Grand Final Day. He spends ages walking around, looking for somewhere to sit but, of course, he can't find anything, every seat has been sold.

About ten minutes before the start of the game, he ends up in the Members' Stand. There he spots an empty seat in the front row, next to an old man. Figuring he has nothing to lose, he approaches him and asks: "Excuse me, sir, is this seat beside you taken?"

The old man replies that it isn't and that he is quite welcome to sit there for the rest of the afternoon.

The young man can't believe his luck and thanks him profusely. Here he is, sneaks into the G on Grand Final Day and now he is sitting in the Members', front row on the second level, just behind the umpire as he prepares to bounce the ball to start the game. He turns around to the old man and says: "I can't believe that someone would buy a ticket for this seat and not turn up."

"Actually, I bought the ticket," says the old man. "I bought it for my wife who, sadly, passed away recently. This is the first Grand Final that I have been to without her since we were married in 1967."

"Oh, I'm so sorry, you must be feeling awful," says the youngster. "I'm surprised that a family member or a friend hasn't come along to support you on this terrible day."

"Well, I asked them, but they have all gone to her funeral."