The big picture: improvement is not a ratchet | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The big picture: improvement is not a ratchet

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
At this stage of the year I’m still torn on whether our performance so far is an aberration or an indication we’ve gone as far as we can go with Dimma and his game plan.

The fair part of me says after 4 years of improvement a fall backwards is forgivable. That he should be given the benefit of the doubt and 2015 to show that he can fix the leaks before the ship sinks completely.

Getting rid of Dimma could be the perfect case of throwing the baby... his best coaching years could be the next several and we would have lost out on them. Makes sense and there’s a fair history in the annals of coaching to support this view.

There’s a lot of talk about him having lost the players – I’m not convinced. But then I’m a confirmed agnostic – I need hard evidence before I believe.

Having said that there has been a lot of strange behaviour about the place this year – mainly generated by Jack.

There’s also a lot of language which sounds like the stuff of separation – starting with the naming of Ellis and Conca, to the ongoing (and annoying) acknowledgment of not knowing what the problem is – even the constant refrain of “the players...” to explain what is going wrong instead of the use of the collective “we”.

And finally there’s a very confused bunch of players running around on the park looking like they’ve been playing the game for 5 minutes.

But Jack is Jack and can crack the weirds without it being any reflection on the coach.

Dimma’s been to the top as player and assistant coach and has probably been ramping up the pressure on players to perform better each year. It wouldn’t surprise me that he has given some fairly clear directives at the start of this year to a lot of the guys about what it is to be a player in a successful era and a lot have not responded – they’re just not up it. The fact that he alludes to the fact in public may be his way of keeping that pressure up.

And finally, his game plan (as ugly as it is) might just be the next big thing. I don’t think the players have carried it out. It may need work and more practice to get it right. But I’m prepared to give Dimma that time.

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
yandb said:
FFW 5 years not enough? Roos achieved his in less than a year!!!
Roos schmoos. Three of their wins have been gifted to them by bad kicking like we did. Lets see how the dees are in three more years. FWIIW I reckon Dimma will come out of this a better coach.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
The Mole said:
Roos schmoos. Three of their wins have been gifted to them by bad kicking like we did. Lets see how the dees are in three more years. FWIIW I reckon Dimma will come out of this a better coach.

Maybe the inaccurate kicking is a result of Roos planning and coaching? ie forcing them out wide?

Anyway, you can't minimise a teams winning by blaming poor kicking by their opponent. Remember too that Melbourns accuracy is also a factor in these wins.

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
The Mole said:

A Win is a Win is a Win
Dont care if you win by 1 point or 100 its a win
Winners are grinners and losers well they just make excuses

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
The Mole said:
Roos schmoos. Three of their wins have been gifted to them by bad kicking like we did.

Was it gifted or is it because they concede both the fewest goals from inside 15mtrs and have the lowest percentage of scores against from the corridor?

Would hate to guess where we'd be in those categories.

Also, in 202 games his highest losing margin in 73 pts.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/paul-roos-makes-melbourne-the-hardest-team-to-score-against-once-inside-50-20140616-zs9gp.html

Say what you like about his gamestyle but the guy is a genius coach.

buenavista

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2014
Leysy Days said:
Was it gifted or is it because they concede both the fewest goals from inside 15mtrs and have the lowest percentage of scores against from the corridor?
Careful Leysy, you are getting awful close to using statistics there ;D

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Spook you are not a gentleman.

But you ARE a scholar, however.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Don't go back into old threads like this as reading old posts from a younger you could alter the space time continuum and destroy the entire universe.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
There was too much smoke being blown up Jack's arse. He gets complacent and thinks he can rest on his laurels. :D

• Haha

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Jack's boys love it when I bring him down a peg or two. He's such a working-class toff. He's like Hemingway but not quite as pretentious, a better writer, and far less macho-slash-gay.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I have no recollection if this thread, but apart from being a year out, it is big picture thinking after all, I am pretty nostradamusy.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users