The big picture: improvement is not a ratchet | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The big picture: improvement is not a ratchet

GEDS1

Richo's last lap
Apr 15, 2007
I reckon we re onto something here we do miss a couple of puzzle pieces. Yes Geelong did it and so too collingwood and as much as it pains me a bottom 3 finish although extremely unlikely would lead to a couple of pieces needed to propel us.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
GEDS1 said:
I reckon we re onto something here we do miss a couple of puzzle pieces. Yes Geelong did it and so too collingwood and as much as it pains me a bottom 3 finish although extremely unlikely would lead to a couple of pieces needed to propel us.

And there it is, the first of the tank posts for 2014. Earlier than expected by anyone's reckoning.

tigergollywog

Non-Hierarchical Boss Cocky
Feb 4, 2006
if improvement is not a ratchet, does it follow that decline is a slippery slope?

FWIW, I read almost nothing into March form.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Two simple observations.

Geelong had played a couple of years of finals including the Nick bloody Davis prelim before they had a shell shock year and bloody emerged to tear the comp a new one.

They were virtually a home grown team, bugger all imports in the team. Due to the Mould Coast GWS concessions all clubs have had to adjust their recruiting policies in recent years, so I don't mind the bringing in of imports, but I'm thinking we may have pushed the cheap competent money ball line just a smidgin to far at present.
We needed some mid range cover to fill some holes n gaps as youngsters develop, would seriously hope we hit next years draft hard instead of topping up with fringies from other clubs to enable us to develop the following generation.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
TigerMasochist said:
We needed some mid range cover to fill some holes n gaps as youngsters develop, would seriously hope we hit next years draft hard instead of topping up with fringies from other clubs to enable us to develop the following generation.

are the 19 players 22 or under on our list not enough?

we have still be drafting, the 'recycles' we have picked up only replaced the guys drafted before 2006 who should be on our list.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Barnzy said:
A slight step back might be bearable if it's 5th to 6th or 7th/8th and wouldn't be panic stations. Missing the finals with our draw and a good run with injuries however would be completely unacceptable and raise serious question marks about the overall direction the club is heading.

My sentiments as well, Barnzy.
Missing the finals in 2014 simply can't be countenanced.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
While I don't disagree with your sentiment snake I think a big leap is possible, even necessary for the players to get it. It may not come this year but I feel Hardwick and co have been putting the pieces in place. All the work done in the backrooms and on the track can be steady and well thought out but I reckon the players need a breakout game to feel the intangible momentum and to understand why the plan works. We've seen glimpses like the Hawthorn game. But when they start to believe in the plan and each other the way Geelong did we'll see them rush up the ladder.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Brodders17 said:
are the 19 players 22 or under on our list not enough?

we have still be drafting, the 'recycles' we have picked up only replaced the guys drafted before 2006 who should be on our list.
Of those 19, there's a few who have been treading water for a bit, some obviously won't make regular seniors. It's not quite an issue but, unless you are trading something of value for quality juniors there is a very real possibility of picking up to many medium quality middle aged workers to plug perceived weaknesses in the list and becoming a moderately competent pedestrian team.

The end of season draft is touted as having plenty of depth and quality this year, just thinking it might be time to dig deep in the junior talent pool or trade for something of premium quality rather than re-entering the holding pattern of scrounging more money ball types.

Sorry Brod's, not sure what the hell your second sentence meant to say. Must be going deaf.

Silent Bob

Tiger Superstar
Nov 7, 2003
GEDS1 said:
OMG! Haven't we had enough bottom or near bottom finishes the last 10 years? No more backwards steps or crap excuses please, I've had a gutful. Winning games talks, Bulls..t walks.

Anything less than finals this year is an unmitigated disaster for RFC.

Gaz

Tiger Rookie
Jul 6, 2008
Hopefully we finish 9th, Collingwood finishes top 4, gets stripped off their points and 2015 draft picks and we play finals. >:D

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
bump

even though I want us to improve this year, and it would'nt surprise me if we did, my gut feeling is we'll take a step backwards this year before having a real tilt. Its based on weaknesses in our list, the historical reality that improvement in anything, footy included, rarely travels in a neat upward trajectory.

I'm still happy with the overall strategy and achievements thus far, especially considering the gutted drafts. I also understand there are no guantees, I'm not thinking, '8th-10th this year flag 2015 or 16' at all. What I do know is, its a tough comp, we've come from a long way back, and there will be some tough tests to come.

jamo

The face of Evil
Apr 23, 2004
melbourne
I think we have a pretty good team, and that we can build on it, we just need a coach to teach them how to play.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
tigersnake said:
Wasn't sure whether to post this or not, because it might be seen as panicing a bit after one loss. But my thoughts were the same last week and haven't changed.

Improvement is not a ratchet.

I won't be surprised if we take a bit of a step backwards this year, and I don't see that as fatal to the big picture. I still have faith in the overall plan and approach. That's not to say we don't have some weaknesses right now, and/ or that the game plan won't need tweaking or re-thinking. Good sides when they are on the up usually take a step backwards along the way in terms of ladder posi. I reckon considering how bad were were, the low base we started from, its more than likely. We'll be at least competitive, I think we'll win more than we lose, but I'm not taking a top 6 posi for granted.

Personally I think our list and gameplan has got us this far, but will need adjustment to really threaten for the flag. We need a bit more class, pace and unpredictability IMO. I reckon the hierarchy would privately agree and be aware of it, but are sticking to the long term plan of building a sustainable chassis. I reckon they would have loved to have drafted or traded 2 pacy classy players at the end of last season, but it wasn't possible without getting reactive and paying over the odds. I'm OK with that.

This year won't be a bust IMO, but it could be another that sees a fair cull of players who aren't up to top 4 standard at year's end. We used to cull players who weren't up to 12-8th standard. Another cliche, Rome wasn't built in a day. We've done extremely well to get where we are in the context of club resources, building virtually from the ground up, and with compromised drafts.

Improvement is not a ratchet. Go Tiges.

Good points, well posted!

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Said it over and over, this year is our Geelong 2006. As long as we stay strong, committed and believe in the direction, well come out the other end ready to dominate.

React badly and start chopping and changing in a reactionary mode and we've *smile* up another rebuild.

Those calling for dumping chicken poo will do more damage to he club if they get their way than Wallet ever did.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Baloo said:
Said it over and over, this year is our Geelong 2006. As long as we stay strong, committed and believe in the direction, well come out the other end ready to dominate.
There is nothing logical to say that because Geelong had a dip year in 2006 before going on to dominate that Richmond will do the same.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
tigersnake said:
bump

even though I want us to improve this year, and it would'nt surprise me if we did, my gut feeling is we'll take a step backwards this year before having a real tilt. Its based on weaknesses in our list, the historical reality that improvement in anything, footy included, rarely travels in a neat upward trajectory.

I'm still happy with the overall strategy and achievements thus far, especially considering the gutted drafts. I also understand there are no guantees, I'm not thinking, '8th-10th this year flag 2015 or 16' at all. What I do know is, its a tough comp, we've come from a long way back, and there will be some tough tests to come.

This is pretty much my thinking as well. Hard to watch but it is what it is.