The big picture: improvement is not a ratchet | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The big picture: improvement is not a ratchet

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Wasn't sure whether to post this or not, because it might be seen as panicing a bit after one loss. But my thoughts were the same last week and haven't changed.

Improvement is not a ratchet.

I won't be surprised if we take a bit of a step backwards this year, and I don't see that as fatal to the big picture. I still have faith in the overall plan and approach. That's not to say we don't have some weaknesses right now, and/ or that the game plan won't need tweaking or re-thinking. Good sides when they are on the up usually take a step backwards along the way in terms of ladder posi. I reckon considering how bad were were, the low base we started from, its more than likely. We'll be at least competitive, I think we'll win more than we lose, but I'm not taking a top 6 posi for granted.

Personally I think our list and gameplan has got us this far, but will need adjustment to really threaten for the flag. We need a bit more class, pace and unpredictability IMO. I reckon the hierarchy would privately agree and be aware of it, but are sticking to the long term plan of building a sustainable chassis. I reckon they would have loved to have drafted or traded 2 pacy classy players at the end of last season, but it wasn't possible without getting reactive and paying over the odds. I'm OK with that.

This year won't be a bust IMO, but it could be another that sees a fair cull of players who aren't up to top 4 standard at year's end. We used to cull players who weren't up to 12-8th standard. Another cliche, Rome wasn't built in a day. We've done extremely well to get where we are in the context of club resources, building virtually from the ground up, and with compromised drafts.

Improvement is not a ratchet. Go Tiges.

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Geelong dropped out of the 8 in 2006. 2007 marked the start of their dynasty.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Good post Snake. Improvement is most certainly not a ratchet but I still see enough to suggest we can click in the next 2-3 rounds and really put some serious heat on the big boys.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
blx said:
only thing is...we aren't Geelong.

We are part of the same family....

But if we are to have a similar year I hope our admin can hold their nerve the way the cats admin did in 2006.

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
tigersnake said:
Wasn't sure whether to post this or not, because it might be seen as panicing a bit after one loss. But my thoughts were the same last week and haven't changed.

Improvement is not a ratchet.

I won't be surprised if we take a bit of a step backwards this year, and I don't see that as fatal to the big picture. I still have faith in the overall plan and approach. That's not to say we don't have some weaknesses right now, and/ or that the game plan won't need tweaking or re-thinking. Good sides when they are on the up usually take a step backwards along the way in terms of ladder posi. I reckon considering how bad were were, the low base we started from, its more than likely. We'll be at least competitive, I think we'll win more than we lose, but I'm not taking a top 6 posi for granted.

Personally I think our list and gameplan has got us this far, but will need adjustment to really threaten for the flag. We need a bit more class, pace and unpredictability IMO. I reckon the hierarchy would privately agree and be aware of it, but are sticking to the long term plan of building a sustainable chassis. I reckon they would have loved to have drafted or traded 2 pacy classy players at the end of last season, but it wasn't possible without getting reactive and paying over the odds. I'm OK with that.

This year won't be a bust IMO, but it could be another that sees a fair cull of players who aren't up to top 4 standard at year's end. We used to cull players who weren't up to 12-8th standard. Another cliche, Rome wasn't built in a day. We've done extremely well to get where we are in the context of club resources, building virtually from the ground up, and with compromised drafts.

Improvement is not a ratchet. Go Tiges.
Yet we let go of the only true pacy player we had that was finally starting to show something for nothing!! Sounds to me they have NFI what they are doing and will unfortunately realise it too late. This drafting of mature age players will set the club back at least 4-5 years. Blokes like Pettard, A.Edwards, Miller, Chaplin, Knights add NOTHING to the team that will help it achieve a premiership. The time to recruit these players is when you have made a Grand Final and lost it. We were/are that far away from playing in a Grand Final that it made no sense whatsoever to all of a sudden ditch the recruiting of youngsters for players that are mediocre. Mature age players should be better than what you already have on your list. None of the recent ones are. Blokes like Miles who are still young i can understand and accept. Blokes like Pettard, Knights etc are going to cripple the club in 3-4 years time.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
No going backwards. If we miss the finals the year is a complete failure. The only caveat on that is if we are decimated with injury.

Saturday night was not acceptable nor should it lower expectations. If we need pace and class, you get it in the off season. I think we did add a bit of both but didn't select it (Still don't see or understand why one of Lloyd, Gordon or Banfield weren't in the side. Staggering selection) or it was out injured (Lennon).

No excuse making, no lowering expectations. Must make finals.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Baloo said:
But if we are to have a similar year I hope our admin can hold their nerve the way the cats admin did in 2006.

thats the thing. I see no reason they won't hold their nerve if we go backwards a bit, and I think they will, but they are gunna take some heat.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
frawleyudud said:
Yet we let go of the only true pacy player we had that was finally starting to show something for nothing!! Sounds to me they have NFI what they are doing and will unfortunately realise it too late. This drafting of mature age players will set the club back at least 4-5 years. Blokes like Pettard, A.Edwards, Miller, Chaplin, Knights add NOTHING to the team that will help it achieve a premiership. The time to recruit these players is when you have made a Grand Final and lost it. We were/are that far away from playing in a Grand Final that it made no sense whatsoever to all of a sudden ditch the recruiting of youngsters for players that are mediocre. Mature age players should be better than what you already have on your list. None of the recent ones are. Blokes like Miles who are still young i can understand and accept. Blokes like Pettard, Knights etc are going to cripple the club in 3-4 years time.

Fundamentally disagree. They have all come cheap and are recruited to provide cover for the main game, the draftees. If we'd been paying overs you might have point, but we've been paying unders. Big and long contracts might cripple clubs, thats not the case. Also, putting good bargaining aside, you don't draft players like Pettard, Edwards and Knights when you lose a GF anyway, you go after an Eddy Betts or a Dal Santo, a proven top liner in an area of weakness.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
casper68 said:
If we continue to play and lose the same way it will be a fail mark at the end of the season.

lose all 22 games? Yeah that's fair enough

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
The next month will tell us where we are at. Dea, Helbig, Arnott, etc need to step up.
As for Saturday night, I was filthy but on reflection, Ablett, Swallow, O'Meara, Prestia, Rischitelli are better than our top five midfielders. Let's get Mundy as a free agent.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
It's hard to gauge at the moment not knowing how other teams have improved in the odd-season but our draw looks relatively cushy. I think it would be a big concern if we don't make the 8. Even moreso than ladder position we should be seeing improvement in how our players perform, their endeavour and the mental attitude every time they run out. We've told the world we'll win a final this year. We've traded/drafted with that aim in mind. With the resources we have in place I think the club would be disappointed if we don't improve this season.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
tigersnake said:
thats the thing. I see no reason they won't hold their nerve if we go backwards a bit, and I think they will, but they are gunna take some heat.

What do you consider a bit snakey? Would not making the 8 be acceptable if we aren't crueled by the injury gods?

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
rosy23 said:
It's hard to gauge at the moment not knowing how other teams have improved in the odd-season but our draw looks relatively cushy. I think it would be a big concern if we don't make the 8. Even moreso than ladder position we should be seeing improvement in how our players perform, their endeavour and the mental attitude every time they run out. We've told the world we'll win a final this year. We've traded/drafted with that aim in mind. With the resources we have in place I think the club would be disappointed if we don't improve this season.

The club would be disappointed, I'll be disappointed, you'll be disappointed, we'll all be disappointed. But it might happen. But barring unforseen extreme events, I for one won't be calling for Dimma's head if it does happen. Baloo's Geelong example is very apt

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
tigerman said:
Let's get Mundy as a free agent.

Yeah thats the type you load up on if you are closing in on being a genuine threat. I've always been a fan, who hasn't?

Barnzy

What about me?
Mar 6, 2009
A slight step back might be bearable if it's 5th to 6th or 7th/8th and wouldn't be panic stations. Missing the finals with our draw and a good run with injuries however would be completely unacceptable and raise serious question marks about the overall direction the club is heading.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Baloo said:
Geelong dropped out of the 8 in 2006. 2007 marked the start of their dynasty.

Different situations though. Hadn't Geelong been relatively successful, as far as being competitive/finals goes before that? Until last season it seemed that we hadn't played finals since Noah floated the Ark. We've been at the missed the 8 and hoping to improve on that stage for years. It's about time our efforts bore fruit. We may not have had the resources in the past but we've improved massively in that area. It would be a fail for the club if they go too far backwards...again... in order to improve. Been there done that.. I reckon we should aim for, and expect to achieve, success. I'd like to think the start of DH's tenure and our improved financial situation would be the start of a new dynasty and we should see gradual improvement. Forward ho!

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Barnzy said:
A slight step back might be bearable if it's 5th to 6th or 7th/8th and wouldn't be panic stations. Missing the finals with our draw and a good run with injuries however would be completely unacceptable and raise serious question marks about the overall direction the club is heading.

Don't disagree. Questions would be raised for sure, but for me, not panic, thats all I'm saying I guess. Maybe my expectations are lower, I'm expecting consolidation this season before hopefully a real tilt next and beyond. There is such small margins of difference between 5th and 10th, so consolidation and scrutiny of the list might mean 5th, and if things don't go to plan, it might mean 10th, and anything in-between.