The Blair "Which?" Project | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Blair "Which?" Project

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Short’s problem is that Houli is missing. The backline has been on the same page for a couple of years. Someone wins the intercept and Houli and Short glide past to receive, Houli on the left and Short on the rIght. Now, the glider-pasts are all right footers and Short, understandably as he is the most experienced, is gliding past on the wrong side, where Houli would be. Suddenly, he is kicking with his left foot more than he would like.

Personally, when Vlastuin and Broad come back, I would keep Mansell and Rioli in defence, move Short and Stack into the small forward roles and punt Georgie and Aarts. It won’t solve the left foot-right foot problem but it may help with the forward line problem.

It won’t hurt to recruit a few lefties at the end of the season. That particular cupboard is a bit bare now.

Reactions: 5 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I read that Freo has an interest in Short. Given the reinvention of Rioli, the emergence of Mansell and the return of Stack, would we do Geelong's pick and Short for Cerra and a third? (I mean, I would - would you?)
Is Cerra worth a 1st rd pick? If yes then Cerra and a 3rd pick are worth Short and a 1st.

Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Short’s problem is that Houli is missing. The backline has been on the same page for a couple of years. Someone wins the intercept and Houli and Short glide past to receive, Houli on the left and Short on the rIght. Now, the glider-pasts are all right footers and Short, understandably as he is the most experienced, is gliding past on the wrong side, where Houli would be. Suddenly, he is kicking with his left foot more than he would like.

Personally, when Vlastuin and Broad come back, I would keep Mansell and Rioli in defence, move Short and Stack into the small forward roles and punt Georgie and Aarts. It won’t solve the left foot-right foot problem but it may help with the forward line problem.

It won’t hurt to recruit a few lefties at the end of the season. That particular cupboard is a bit bare now.
Nah, i think Short's problem is that he isnt actually a good kick. Last year he would kick long to contests, we would bring the ball to ground, move it forward and score. This year we are losing the contests he kicks to. and the kicks straight to the opposition stand out more because we dont have numbers coming to contest.

Reactions: 3 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

Ed Richards might be the answer. I am pretty sure he is a lefty

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Two picks in each of the first three rounds is a serious hand. There are two reasons clubs stockpile draft picks like this. One is to go hard at the draft - this is for rebuilding teams. The other is for trade currency.

We're going to trade, I have little doubt. To bring in six 18-year-olds would be to concede that this group is done, flag-wise. (That's the narrative the media will run with. Prepare for Kornes and Lloyd to admonish us for failing to see what is so obvious to their genius, a la Prestia.)

Some here will agree that we are done. That we should rebuild. Take all six picks to the draft. Trade out a player or two and/or upgrade picks. There is a case for it. You could adjust contracts, pay Dusty and Lynch more next year and go for a free agent next year when at this stage there's greater quality available (Moore, De Goey, J.Elliott, A.Pearce, Sicily, Amon). But you'd be closing our window. In 2023, Dusty will turn 32. So will Grimes, Astbury and Lambert. Cotch will turn 33. Jack and Sheds will turn 35. Lynch and Prestia will turn 31. And if we don't add anyone our crucial 23-29 age group will be:

23 - RCD, Stack, Ross, Mansell
24 - Balta, (CJ?), (Naish, Miller)
25 - Bolton, Graham, Baker, (Garth)
26 - Rioli, (Chol?)
27 - Short, George, Soldo, Parker
28 - Zippo Marx
29 - Nank, Vlastuin, KMac

A solid group, sure. But a premiership core?

Option two is trade some of that draft currency. Redders says we have kesh money to spend (he'd know, he knows everything).
Cerra's the one we've been linked to, and Dunstan. Taranto might be available, at a discount trade-wise to help GWS balance the books. That's up to $2 million in wages. Taranto could get 900 somewhere, might take 800 to play for us. Cerra could stay at Freo for 750, will have to take 600-650 if he wants to play for us. Dunstan maybe 450. $1.9m.

Dunstan - FA
Cerra - a first-rounder
Taranto - next year's first and a second or something involving CJ

Trade a second and two thirds for the Dogs' first (points for Darcy). Or get Ed Richards. Mr B says he's on the move and he knows even more than Redders. Trade Short for a pick in the 20s. Maybe let KMac go. Go to the draft with two first-rounders and a second or three.
Then in 2022, our 23-29 group is:

(22 - RCD, Stack, Ross, Mansell)
23 - Balta, Cerra, (CJ?), (Richards?), (Naish, Miller)
24 - Bolton, Taranto, Graham, Baker, (Garth)
25 - Rioli, (Chol?)
26 - (Short), George, Soldo, Parker
27 - Dunstan
28 - Nank, Vlastuin, (KMac)
29 - Broad

With Lynch, Dion, Pickett turning 30 and the Dusty cohort 31. We can win it.

I'm for trading.

(I'd be looking for a mature-age key defender on the cheap too.)

Reactions: 7 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Sicily would look good in a Richmond guernsey.
Can play, and plays angry. Been injured so perhaps frustrated and coming back into a wood spoon contending club. Might be right for the pickings

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Sicily would look good in a Richmond guernsey.
Can play, and plays angry. Been injured so perhaps frustrated and coming back into a wood spoon contending club. Might be right for the pickings
Plays the same role as Vlastuin, though, DA. Greater priorities, methinks.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
we've been starved of trade and draft action for a while. looking forward to it this year.

Reactions: 2 users

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
we've been starved of trade and draft action for a while. looking forward to it this year.
Once upon a time it was all we had. We'd pump ourselves up all preseason only to get smashed. By Rd3 we'd be looking forward to the next draft. At least this time we planned for a refresh. We need a good injection but we have plenty of upside to get back up and competitive.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Settle on a game plan first.

How will the game look in 2022?

It is so critically important that the AFL advise on rule changes before the trade and draft periods.

Unless they want to keep running a corrupt, backwater comp.

One thing we need regardless is midfield depth, so I like your ideas spooker.

I have a feeling we’ll field the most ferocious stoppage combos next year. Win first use at every opportunity.

Under your trade scenario, the rotations could look like this:

Nankervis
Prestia
Taranto
Martin

Soldo
Cotchin
Bolton
Cerra

Edwards
Lambert
Dunstan
Graham
RCD
Dow
First round pick

You’re selling me on that trade approach. If the AFL are gonna *smile* with us, we hit back hard.

Reactions: 4 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
If we get Taranto and Cerra, we probably don't get Dunstan. Not least because we couldn't guarantee him a game.

And I forgot Narkle.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Settle on a game plan first.

How will the game look in 2022?

It is so critically important that the AFL advise on rule changes before the trade and draft periods.

Unless they want to keep running a corrupt, backwater comp.

One thing we need regardless is midfield depth, so I like your ideas spooker.

I have a feeling we’ll field the most ferocious stoppage combos next year. Win first use at every opportunity.

Under your trade scenario, the rotations could look like this:

Nankervis
Prestia
Taranto
Martin

Soldo
Cotchin
Bolton
Cerra

Edwards
Lambert
Dunstan
Graham
RCD
Dow
First round pick

You’re selling me on that trade approach. If the AFL are gonna *smile* with us, we hit back hard.
Message deleted poor taste. The jist was those rotations are arousing.