The Collingwood Show | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Collingwood Show

GhostofJimmyJess

Tiger Cub
Dec 19, 2002
For years the Footy Show has endured the jibes of the non-Collingwood (and probably even a few of the pro-Collingwood) footy-mad public for placing far too much emphasis on the goings-on in and around the Collingwood Football Club.

Hell, even Newman and Trevor have had gentle prods in Eddie's direction for adding to just about every segment a decidedly Collingwood slant.

But last Thursday's program was the most blatant and profusely Collingwood-saturated example yet (except for the GF show of 2002, but that was kinda understandable, to an extent).

We had ... Nathan Buckley on the panel, an extended interview with Mick Malthouse, another Mick Malthouse shaving segment, innumerable references to the Magpies appearnce in the Wizard Cup GF and last years day GF, repeated mentions of Collingwood sponsors, the Collingwood football gag ... plus many, many more.

In fact, we had to wait until nearly 11 pm (I think it was actually 10:58) to see what was, with the exception of the Carlton implosion, the biggest story of the entire off-season - Jason McCartney. If ever there was a story which deserved airing at a time when the young kids or teenagers were still up and about, it was this remarkable blokes inspirational tale. But of course the producers waited until even Buffy fans had turned in for the night to put it to air. He obviously doesn't play for the Pies.

We had to wait until 11:24 until the biggest football story of the week - the long-term injury to Brad Ottens - was mentioned. God knows, if it had been Tarrant or A.Rocca, the thing would have opened the freakin' show.

And what about the fans of St Kilda, or Essendon, or Melbourne, or Sydney ? At least Brisbane got to have Akermanis on the panel, not that he was allowed too much room to actually discuss the GF, barring a few seconds on his injury in that said match.

Thank God Collingwood didn't win that bloody thing !! The show would have gone past midnight.

A

admin

Well said Ghost. I wish I taped the show just so I could show my kids the Jason McCartney interview.

What courage and dedication. An amazing story of how believing in your dreams can get you over the line.

Life's a very tenuous thing, it's not winning that counts sometimes, not even always how you play the game.
It's having the opportunity to play the game at all.

That interview was something I wish everyone could have seen, but I wonder how many missed it, like I almost did, because it was surrounded by such sickening Collingwood overkill.

Good onya Jason McCartney and good luck. :)

froars

"Famous last words - I'll be good"
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Maybe it's time to turn it off altogether Ghost. With or without the Collingwood slant, the show is stale and is on the border of boring now. If it wasn't a footy show - i would go and read a good book or something else more worthwhile. I generally just have it on in the background while i do other things - they bore me to tears.

A

admin

This is a link to a video clip of the Jason McCartney interview if anyone is interested to see it.

http://ninemsn.com.au/9msnshared/media/asx.asp?asf=/wws/footy/footy_show_afl/2003/030313/jason.wmv&intro=

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Totally agree with everyone's comments. It truly is the Collingwood Show.

I watched the first 10 minutes of propoganda and switched over to NYPD Blue.

The Collingwood Show, is stale, contrived and biased. Newman and Marmalade's token protests are weak because they are always jocular in nature 'coz they know they'll get the ar*e if they really do go against Maguire.

'On the Couch' on Fox and 'Talking Footy' on Seven are better options for real footy enthusiasts.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
But last Thursday's program was the most blatant and profusely Collingwood-saturated example yet

Totally agree Ghost. What's more the show was flat and tired. Even the audience looked bored. Not a good sign for the first show of the year. It has to be on its last legs. Turned it off after 10 minutes and only started watching it again when Jason McCartney came on.

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Agreed it's flat, tired, Collingwood biased etc etc. But I still watch it...what is wrong with me? ???

froars

Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
I have it on too Deano - but at the end of each show i always ask why did i bother.

GhostofJimmyJess

Tiger Cub
Dec 19, 2002
I have it on too Deano - but at the end of each show i always ask why did i bother.

That's exactly how I feel about it, Froars ... it's like pigging out on KFC - you know afterwards that there was probably far better alternatives to satisfy oneself.

froars

Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
And what did i do last night - i protest but i still watch. Last night was a joy to watch actually - even loved watching the 500 mentions of Collingwood sponsors lol. Sure beats watching bloody war on TV morning, noon and night.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
And what did i do last night - i protest but i still watch. Last night was a joy to watch actually - even loved watching the 500 mentions of Collingwood sponsors lol.

Will Eddie show a footy with each of the other 15 clubs' sponsors on the footy show from now on? Me think not!

Apart from Richo being on the panel did we get a single mention last night during the membership-athon? I don't remember us even getting one.