The Day the Tiger went Missing. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Day the Tiger went Missing.

geoffryprettyboy

Tiger Legend
Apr 8, 2004
I just happened to attend a RFC function last Wednesday night and was a having an in depth conversation with an 'old digger' about our club and the old times. He told me stories when he would go into Tommy's milk bar and of course when he would go into Jack's shop just up the hill near St. Ignatius.

Anyway, I asked him about the tiger above the canopy at Alexander's back in the early 70's. Well, he went on by saying how he knew Ben Alexander (the owner of the famous menswear shop on the cnr. of Bridge & Church Sts), and how Ben was linked with the RFC & Cricket club and how Ben would ask him to go up to the Social Club and give Graeme Richmond a brown paper bag where Graeme would open it up and count out money that looked to be in the thousands.

I happened to ask him that I remember this tiger, which was the pride and joy of Richmond and was a decorated eye piece and centre of attention at that particular corner when our famous footy club won the 1974 flag, went missing. He just happened to tell about these two brothers, both North supporters who went up on the roof one night and stole it.

I was wondering whether anyone else remembers the massive tiger that was erected on the roof of Alexander's back in 1974, and would anyone remember whether they found it?

No, the only thing I can add is that Ben Alexander was a life member of the club.