The depth dilemma | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The depth dilemma

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
For decades we have lamented our severe lack of depth, but now that we have been a powerhouse for the past few years it looks like our depth is still strong despite a few defections of fringe players over the past couple of years.

And just as it looked like our youngsters would be ready to take over a number of roles , those very same veterans who they would have replaced have shown no signs of slowing down despite what a number of PREnders (including myself) thought. Jacks demise might have been premature and there are whispers that he might be offered an additional year, the skipper is still going strong, Shedda looks like he'll play until 40, DTLD played well today and Dimma mentioned bringing Houli back in next week.

My concern is that a number of our youngsters have been in the system for a number of years and are ready to play in the seniors, but even though they may very well enjoy being at a successful club with a great culture, their time as an AFL footballer is limited and they will start receiving very tempting offers not only financially but also with promises of playing 1sts every week. These youngsters need games at AFL level to continue their development and even Dimma has stated a number of times that players that play at VFL level for a prolonged period turn into VFL players.

How do we keep them at the club for the foreseeable future when they aren't playing in the ones and getting them to resist outside temptation? Yes, eventually injuries do hit and they will possibly play a number of games but will it be enough to keep them?

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Unfortunately I think we will lose them to other sides, probably at bargain prices too. The alternative is to trade some of our experienced players like Astbury, Lambert, Caddy or even Rioli. I expect Houli will hang the boots up at the end of the season.

Last edited:

Bill Haverchuck

Tiger Superstar
Jun 27, 2011
In addition to injuries we could actually drop some underperforming/limited players and give a few younger players more games..
Nothing against a guy like Aarts but he is a limited mature player, drop him and give someone like Ralphsmith some games up forward?

Reactions: 6 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
We just need to be the first club to rotate players through the team - if most of our top 22 rest twice during the year would do it

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
We are in a great position, but this is a genuine problem. I suspect we will lose a few very promising players, just life I suppose with a great team which is hard to break into, and the offers they will no doubt get.

Just have to try and hang on to as many as possible, but keeping Balta, Bolton is more important than the likes of RCD, Dow etc.

Hard choices ahead.

DS

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
The key is identifying the ones that will make it & give them the opportunities.

Hardwick's point that the current VFL rules are pathetic isn't helping development.

Reactions: 2 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
There are always injuries, lack of form, the great form of players in the 2s.

In the short to medium term, I expect we could see some retirements and some players let go a la Ellis.

Dimma (despite some thinking he plays favourites), generally gives players enough rope to hang themselves form-wise.

If players are out of form, they will be replaced. 2017, 2019 and 2020 all had different players hit form at the right time and come into the team.

Basically, I expect a few of the VFL boys to be playing seniors by the end of the season.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
I too worry that emerging stars in Rossy , rcd CCJ won’t want to rot in vfl and seek ops elsewhere , caddy aarts Rioli and to lesser extent Pickett are most vulnerable

Reactions: 1 user

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
talented players have left in recent times - Butler, Ellis, Markov, Higgins ..
we dropped others from the list prior to the season - English, Turner
it's the natural evolution of a club, things change, but it's not like the guys in the VFL have been hanging around for years, there's some pretty handy young blokes in the firsts .. and some handy older blokes ..
the mix seems right and we're the type of club that's communicative and transparent to everyone at it

nikolasmia

Tiger Superstar
Sep 3, 2007
Not sure that our depth is as good or as deep as you think it is.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
IMO it's important to bank early wins (which we are doing currently) then we can blood some kids to give the older blokes a rest & find out what our best side is for Finals later in the year. The kids will get thier chance at some stage, it's a long season

Reactions: 5 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
our injuries in 2019 and 2020 were a blessing in disguise. We don't want a repeat of 2018. We need to rotate our players and force them to sit out games even if they don't want to. we need to time our run to have our best players fresh at the pointy end. I'm concerned with Soldo out injured, we'll put too much hard work into Nankervis. CCJ, Ryan and Chol will need games even if form doesn't warrant it at times. I'd like to see Cotch, Jack, Lambert, Edwards, Prestia, Houli, and some others rested for about 3 games each before the bye, when we launch into the back end of the season.

Reactions: 6 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Nank should miss a few games with "general soreness" when we have CCJ available. If we could get a couple of games into CCJ then give Nank a rest it would be very good. At the moment the problem is we have a few second rucks but no first ruck with experience to replace Nank if he should get injured.

DS

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
Our depth is ok, but not great.

Out of the 22 on the weekend I would only be confident in the following, if they were fit.

- Ross
- Vlastuin
- Houli
- CCJ
- Soldo
- Stack

So thats 28 AFL standard players only. Ross and CCJ the only ones we might lose for lack of opportunity.

Yes, some of the recent draft picks show potential, but I am not convinced any of them are ready for AFL promotion yet. I would like to see some consistent excellent games from them at VFL level. Certainly, I dont consider them a great risk of leaving due to lack of opportunity in 2021. If they hit form at VFL level, I am sure some opportunities will arise due to injury this year.

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004

Out of the 22 on the weekend I would only be confident in the following, if they were fit.

- Ross
- Vlastuin
- Houli
- CCJ
- Soldo
- Stack

So thats 28 AFL standard players only. Ross and CCJ the only ones we might lose for lack of opportunity.

Yes, some of the recent draft picks show potential, but I am not convinced any of them are ready for AFL promotion yet. I would like to see some consistent excellent games from them at VFL level. Certainly, I dont consider them a great risk of leaving due to lack of opportunity in 2021. If they hit form at VFL level, I am sure some opportunities will arise due to injury this year.
Agree. In years gone we have had good depth but slowly each year a couple leave for better opportunity. Now we have a lot of untried youngsters.

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004

- Ross
- Vlastuin
- Houli
- CCJ
- Soldo
- Stack

Fair enough on exposed AFL form, but RCD, Dow, HRS and Martyn would likely be playing AFL in lesser teams - having the opportunity to show if they are actually up to it. No one currently knows if they are good enough - simply because they haven't had that chance.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Ryan Sampson seems to be showing some really promising signs considering the limited footy from last year. If he keeps developing, and is close to ready next year, we'll have

The Warrior Nank
Soldo back
CCJ at 22 well and truly ready
Ryan Sampson sitting under these guys and currently showing he can grab the ball in the forward line. He's also very mobile.

Talking of mobility, i noticed a small mid named Melville in the reserves game take the ball 10m in from the back of the square and run it to about 10m from the front of the square before dropping it onto the chest of one of our forwards. He''s done this with a couple of hawks on his tail.

What really stood out though was Chol about a metre outside the square when Melville took possession, and by the time Melville has covered say 25m at full pace, Chol has covered about 36m on the outside literally running past him trying to present an option.

He has some serious wheels does Chol.

Reactions: 2 users