The depth dilemma | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The depth dilemma

Timmy99

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 7, 2006
Canberra
We might trade out again and only take 3 picks otherwise we re only adding to the queue .
I don’t mind this. If we believe we have enough talent on the list then no problem at all if we trade out of this draft and roll some picks forward again. I’d still love to get at least one young tall on the list.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Hawthorn showed from 1983 to 1991 that you can stay at the top for a long time if you can get the balance right. They averaged 4 new faces in each of their five premierships in that period. Melbourne were the same from 1954 to 1960.
Much bigger lists n less teams in the comp back then so fairly irrelevant comparison.

Moggies, Dawks, even Sydaknee have done a seriously good job of winning flags and staying in the hunt for a long time since the Brisvegas threepeat.
Tiges have also done an immense job of staying up at finals level ( even if we did stumble in our first few finals ) winning flags and most importantly still keeping a flow through of youngsters coming in.
Finals in seven of the last eight years, with three flags won. Club should still be in strong contention for flags in the next few years, plus we have the list regenerating option of six draft picks in the first three rounds this year.

Recruitment n list management is the core factor in successful footy these days. That coach fella is just the passion fruit icing on top.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
We might trade out again and only take 3 picks otherwise we re only adding to the queue .
Hope not.
Unless you're getting an absolute instant star player and throwing him into the game early to try n elevate your team, the kids generally take about three years to take the step up to proper senior AFL level players. It's usually just cameo's along the way until then ( Balta, Bolton as examples ). Kids we draft at the end of this year won't seriously affect the chances of R2D2, Rossy, Raaaaalph, Dow, Cujo, Miller etc in the next year or two. Their impact n input will already have been decided before the next crop of youngsters steps up, these blokes are the ones that should be filling the holes as our current older players fade out to retirement.

Reactions: 1 user