The depth dilemma | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The depth dilemma

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Ryan Sampson seems to be showing some really promising signs considering the limited footy from last year. If he keeps developing, and is close to ready next year, we'll have

The Warrior Nank
Soldo back
CCJ at 22 well and truly ready
Ryan Sampson sitting under these guys and currently showing he can grab the ball in the forward line. He's also very mobile.

Talking of mobility, i noticed a small mid named Melville in the reserves game take the ball 10m in from the back of the square and run it to about 10m from the front of the square before dropping it onto the chest of one of our forwards. He''s done this with a couple of hawks on his tail.

What really stood out though was Chol about a metre outside the square when Melville took possession, and by the time Melville has covered say 25m at full pace, Chol has covered about 36m on the outside literally running past him trying to present an option.

He has some serious wheels does Chol.
Cholly has plenty of serious everything, it's simply about getting him into the games n then staying there. Unfortunately that's yet to happen.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Big question is do you pick the team to win another flag whilst the window is wide open or do you keep trying to pick & develop players that aren't quite ready yet with an eye on the future but could then becoming good long term players?
Personally I'd take option A every day of the week. This team has a real shot at greatness. The window won't last forever but right now we need to strike whilst the iron is red hot.
If that means we lose a young player or two due to lack of opportunity so be it but Premierships are bloody hard to win & we've got the proven team to do it.
Focus should be all on Cup number 14. Pick the best team.

Reactions: 4 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
this is a good thread and a serious problem. One thing we do need to do is stop trading away players for a packet of skittles. Butler for example should have been traded for around pick 25-30. That way, if we do lose our fringe players, we can go back to the draft to replenish the squad. We are in a good draft position this year, which is brilliant. But we need to do this every year if we are to continue our run of success. While chasing a flag is the number 1 priority, we do not wanna be like Geelong this year by throwing our eggs in one basket.

Reactions: 2 users

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
Ryan Sampson seems to be showing some really promising signs considering the limited footy from last year. If he keeps developing, and is close to ready next year, we'll have

The Warrior Nank
Soldo back
CCJ at 22 well and truly ready
Ryan Sampson sitting under these guys and currently showing he can grab the ball in the forward line. He's also very mobile.
We will also have Mate Colina (?) on the list next year.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Big question is do you pick the team to win another flag whilst the window is wide open or do you keep trying to pick & develop players that aren't quite ready yet with an eye on the future but could then becoming good long term players?
Personally I'd take option A every day of the week. This team has a real shot at greatness. The window won't last forever but right now we need to strike whilst the iron is red hot.
If that means we lose a young player or two due to lack of opportunity so be it but Premierships are bloody hard to win & we've got the proven team to do it.
Good post, option A for me too.
Some of our depth in Ellis, Butler, Higgins and Markov have left, so if Injuries happen, which is a given, some of the young cubs will get an opportunity.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
We have been unbelievable.
We have kept all players that we needed to keep us challenging and got rid of players that can be replaced overnight.
Outstanding list management.
We have lost only Ellis who was a regular best 22 player, all the rest would still struggle to get a game.
I still can't believe we wasted pick 17 on Higgins.
That was a shocking selection.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
We will also have Mate Colina (?) on the list next year.
Yes completely forgot about him.

It's a lot of rucks to carry on a list considering tota llist sizes are being reduced. I think there is a good chance we may end up trading one or two off at seasons end, particularly considering our hand in the upcoming draft.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
you have to go for the premiership, then 4 in a row next year.
but hopefully at the same time we can give some younger guys some game time- CCJ, RCD and Ross are probably 3 prime examples of our future who need to play. Hopefully Miller gets a chance too at some point. others like Dow, Ralphsmith and Martin probably wont be hurt by a year developing in the VFL with maybe a game or 2 at AFL level.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
you have to go for the premiership, then 4 in a row next year.
but hopefully at the same time we can give some younger guys some game time- CCJ, RCD and Ross are probably 3 prime examples of our future who need to play. Hopefully Miller gets a chance too at some point. others like Dow, Ralphsmith and Martin probably wont be hurt by a year developing in the VFL with maybe a game or 2 at AFL level.
History says injuries will come soon enough. There will be opportunities. Here's hoping that they can take them.

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
History says injuries will come soon enough. There will be opportunities. Here's hoping that they can take them.
We've been saying this for a few years now ToO.

The way we are going now we're going to need more depth players to replace our existing depth players when they retire or go to play for another club at the end of their contract.

I want to see all the young blokes get a game in the main comp. But I don't want to stop winning premierships either. :confused:

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
We've been saying this for a few years now ToO.

The way we are going now we're going to need more depth players to replace our existing depth players when they retire or go to play for another club at the end of their contract.

I want to see all the young blokes get a game in the main comp. But I don't want to stop winning premierships either. :confused:

young blokes need to make the most of their opportunities when they arise, like Balta, Baker and Bolton have done.

I reckon Ross and CCJ are ready to take any opportunity.

Not sure about the others. I know RCD, Dow, Martin and Miller have been talked up by RFC. Scratch match form has supposed to have been very good, but I am still waiting to see some consistently good VFL performances from them. 2020 covid really impacted their development.

I have pretty much given up on Egg, Naish and Chol - they had chances but did not take them. All have attributes, but also some significant weaknesses. Hope they can improve but just not confident they will make it.

Reactions: 1 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Got to be a even balance like 2 or 3 kids coming into the best 22 last year Balta ,Chol at times etc I think we got bunch of 5 or 6 who can step in 2021.I like Dow, CJJ, Ross ,Martin ,RCD.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Our depth is ok, but not great.

Out of the 22 on the weekend I would only be confident in the following, if they were fit.

- Ross
- Vlastuin
- Houli
- CCJ
- Soldo
- Stack

So thats 28 AFL standard players only. Ross and CCJ the only ones we might lose for lack of opportunity.

Yes, some of the recent draft picks show potential, but I am not convinced any of them are ready for AFL promotion yet. I would like to see some consistent excellent games from them at VFL level. Certainly, I dont consider them a great risk of leaving due to lack of opportunity in 2021. If they hit form at VFL level, I am sure some opportunities will arise due to injury this year.
The depth analysis always needs to be considered relative to our peers, NONE of our rivals have a squad that runs 28 deep like ours , most are reaching into draftees immediately outside of their squad , we can do that too

Reactions: 2 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
young blokes need to make the most of their opportunities when they arise, like Balta, Baker and Bolton have done.

I reckon Ross and CCJ are ready to take any opportunity.

Not sure about the others. I know RCD, Dow, Martin and Miller have been talked up by RFC. Scratch match form has supposed to have been very good, but I am still waiting to see some consistently good VFL performances from them. 2020 covid really impacted their development.

I have pretty much given up on Egg, Naish and Chol - they had chances but did not take them. All have attributes, but also some significant weaknesses. Hope they can improve but just not confident they will make it.
Egg played 2 games last year and was BOG in one of them. Hardly call that not taking his chances. The other 2 I agree won't make it.

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
a few people keep saying this, but if no one is willing to trade those picks for him what do we do?
Please don't open that can of worms, @Brodders17. I'm still recovering from the last great Butler battle :rotfl2

For what it's worth, I would have kept Butler. I reckon the mistake was we undervalued him—both in the sense of his position on the list and, then, in the return we accepted for his departure.

I'd love Butler in our side right now at the expense of Jake Aarts.

Now I'm off to run and hide before this discussion goes nuclear again :mhihi

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Its all about flags winning them while you can.

But the key is to roll kids through whilst doing it especially as the champs age even if it means resting the champs for a few games over the course ie over in WA etc.

Kids get a real taste for it and the champs keep some miles in their legs for September.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Please don't open that can of worms, @Brodders17. I'm still recovering from the last great Butler battle :rotfl2

For what it's worth, I would have kept Butler. I reckon the mistake was we undervalued him—both in the sense of his position on the list and, then, in the return we accepted for his departure.

I'd love Butler in our side right now at the expense of Jake Aarts.

Now I'm off to run and hide before this discussion goes nuclear again :mhihi
What do you mean the return for him, he didnt play a senior game for 12w and wouldn’t have cracked our finals squad had we included another 5 , his form since mid year last year has been pretty flaky , was ordinary in the semi , and r1 and 2 not much better

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Cholly has plenty of serious everything, it's simply about getting him into the games n then staying there. Unfortunately that's yet to happen.
His problem is mindset and I don't know how the club will be able to change that. should they manage it then we will have some player on our hands

Reactions: 1 user