The depth dilemma | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The depth dilemma

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
His problem is mindset and I don't know how the club will be able to change that. should they manage it then we will have some player on our hands
Haaarrrgggh. Cholly's athletic capability harnessed by a Dusty, Cotch, Lynch, Grub type mindset. Scary unbelievable footy beast.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
When we crash we crash. So what. Win the flag. Then worry about rebuilding. We've got the culture to survive it. Look at Syd. 2 years out of 8 and ready to rock again.

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
What do you mean the return for him, he didnt play a senior game for 12w and wouldn’t have cracked our finals squad had we included another 5 , his form since mid year last year has been pretty flaky , was ordinary in the semi , and r1 and 2 not much better
Looks like I've reeled in another one :mhihi

Who cares if he didn't play a game for the eventual premiers for 12 weeks? How many's he missed for the Stinks? Are you suddenly going to sack RCD, Ross, CCJ and Naish because they can't crack a spot in one of the greatest teams of all time?

You don't reckon St Kilda aren't laughing all the way to the bank? They got the steal of the trade period.

If you'd pick Aarts in our team right now before Butler, well, we're not on the same page.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Lets not start the battle of the Butler again!
Its about our current depth

Reactions: 2 users

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
When we crash we crash. So what. Win the flag. Then worry about rebuilding. We've got the culture to survive it. Look at Syd. 2 years out of 8 and ready to rock again.

Unfortunately, we don't have an academy like the Swans do.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Unfortunately, we don't have an academy like the Swans do.
The Punt rd academy.
The Sydney academy is *smile*
The AFL needs to stop it, and allow all clubs the option of recruiting kids coming through these academy's.
That's why a Draft was brought in 1987, to stop clubs buying themselves success.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I have a lot of confidence in our list management. It's a tough gig, over the last few years they are well and truly on the positive side of the ledger in regards to who we have gained and who we have lost.
And to top it all off we have two first-round picks, two second-round picks and two third-round picks in the 2021 draft. For a club who has won 3 of the last 4 premierships we are in an outstanding position.

Reactions: 9 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Big question is do you pick the team to win another flag whilst the window is wide open or do you keep trying to pick & develop players that aren't quite ready yet with an eye on the future but could then becoming good long term players?
Personally I'd take option A every day of the week. This team has a real shot at greatness. The window won't last forever but right now we need to strike whilst the iron is red hot.
If that means we lose a young player or two due to lack of opportunity so be it but Premierships are bloody hard to win & we've got the proven team to do it.
Focus should be all on Cup number 14. Pick the best team.
Some players do better when promoted. We have kept a few on who have done well and need early season opportunities.
Chol and Collier-Dawkins are two such players and I
hope it happens. Chol on Caddy’s wing and Collier-Dawkins?

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
I have a lot of confidence in our list management. It's a tough gig, over the last few years they are well and truly on the positive side of the ledger in regards to who we have gained and who we have lost.
And to top it all off we have two first-round picks, two second-round picks and two third-round picks in the 2021 draft. For a club who has won 3 of the last 4 premierships we are in an outstanding position.

Yep. It is very clear that while the club recognises it’s in a ‘premiership window’ it will not sacrifice the future for the present like other clubs have.

The club’s strategy during this period shows a couple of things:

1. We don’t lose players we want to keep:
2. Our best players want to stay;
3. We have continued to bring in new players into the best team into the competition throughout this period;
4. The list profile is deceptively young relative to previous premiership contending teams of the past.

If some role players/young players are tempted by riches/playing time elsewhere, that’s the price of doing business.

Reactions: 4 users

Ole_55

Tiger Cub
Nov 9, 2020
Big question is do you pick the team to win another flag whilst the window is wide open or do you keep trying to pick & develop players that aren't quite ready yet with an eye on the future but could then becoming good long term players?
Personally I'd take option A every day of the week. This team has a real shot at greatness. The window won't last forever but right now we need to strike whilst the iron is red hot.
If that means we lose a young player or two due to lack of opportunity so be it but Premierships are bloody hard to win & we've got the proven team to do it.
Focus should be all on Cup number 14. Pick the best team.
That approach didn't work out too well for Brisbane after their 2001-4 streak.

Hawthorn showed from 1983 to 1991 that you can stay at the top for a long time if you can get the balance right. They averaged 4 new faces in each of their five premierships in that period. Melbourne were the same from 1954 to 1960.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Yep. It is very clear that while the club recognises it’s in a ‘premiership window’ it will not sacrifice the future for the present like other clubs have.

The club’s strategy during this period shows a couple of things:

1. We don’t lose players we want to keep:
2. Our best players want to stay;
3. We have continued to bring in new players into the best team into the competition throughout this period;
4. The list profile is deceptively young relative to previous premiership contending teams of the past.

If some role players/young players are tempted by riches/playing time elsewhere, that’s the price of doing business.
Yes, I agree with all that.
I had mixed emotions at the of 2016 when Lids left. I knew it was for the better, but part of me wanted him to be a one club player. It's fair to say that I've changed my way of thinking, there's no room for sentiment in the modern game. Look at what that one decision has done for the clubs fortunes.

It will be interesting what we do with the 2 first round selections for the 2021, I've got a hunch that we are into someone.

Reactions: 1 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
It will be interesting what we do with the 2 first round selections for the 2021, I've got a hunch that we are into someone.
It's my gut feeling too.

We can't get games into draftees from three years ago let alone yet another new crop of kids. And our late-draft selections have been very good in the recent past, so why not use those marquee picks on an established or up and coming gun?

Question is, what's the immediate need?

Plenty of talk about Merrett. He's a jet and probably offers something different in our midfield mix. I wouldn't mind it but I doubt the club would trade for a midfielder when they are easy to draft and we have plenty running around in the VFL.

The obvious needs are replacements for Riewoldt and Astbury. Talls take time and I reckon if you're going to trade out of the top end of the draft, you'd want a ready-made key position player.

Sam Taylor? Jake Riccardi? Jacob Weitering? Mitch Georgiades?

The bloke I'd love at Tigerland and who could possibly be prised out due to the arrival of a certain recent high draft pick is Aaron Naughton.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
It's my gut feeling too.

We can't get games into draftees from three years ago let alone yet another new crop of kids. And our late-draft selections have been very good in the recent past, so why not use those marquee picks on an established or up and coming gun?

Plenty of talk about Merrett. He's a jet and probably offers something different in our midfield mix. I wouldn't mind it but I doubt the club would trade for a midfielder when they are easy to draft and we have plenty running around in the VFL.

The obvious needs are replacements for Riewoldt and Astbury. Talls take time and I reckon if you're going to trade out of the top end of the draft, you'd want a ready-made key position player.

The bloke I'd love at Tigerland and who could possibly be prised out due to the arrival of a certain recent high draft pick is Aaron Naughton.
It sure is tough for the cubs who have been drafted in the last few years, Covid and no VFL hasn't helped.
Any of Taylor, Riccardi, Weitering, Georgiades and Naughton would be good, as would Harry McKay.
Georgiades, Naughton and Taylor are West Australians, so if they are wanting out they might be more likely to go home.
Merrett might be the most gettable, he's been in, out, and now back in the leadership group. I don't think his demographic is our greatest need though.

Either of Weitering or McKay would be my choice..........and wouldn't it get a rise out of the silvertails.

Reactions: 1 user

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Its taken 37 years to be in this position and as the dogs showed - it’s bloody hard to stay at the top.

We are clearly in it for the present - Jack, Cotch and Edwards all close to announcing new deals so we aren‘t moving our elite or aged players on just yet - I reckon the clubs see 1, maybe 2 more flags with this squad if all goes well.

The price might be we lose a couple of young players impatient for game time - and fair enough from their perspective but we have done remarkably well over the last 4 years. In saying that, I would expect with injuries and form, that one or two of our youth are in the team come the end of the season.

A small price to pay if they do go and we keep winning with this team.

Make hay while the sun shines.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Looks like I've reeled in another one :mhihi

Who cares if he didn't play a game for the eventual premiers for 12 weeks? How many's he missed for the Stinks? Are you suddenly going to sack RCD, Ross, CCJ and Naish because they can't crack a spot in one of the greatest teams of all time?

You don't reckon St Kilda aren't laughing all the way to the bank? They got the steal of the trade period.

If you'd pick Aarts in our team right now before Butler, well, we're not on the same page.
I actually think his form is levelling off, as I say it’s been trending down since mid season . I couldn’t give a stuff he’s not on our list

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
It's my gut feeling too.

We might trade out again and only take 3 picks otherwise we re only adding to the queue .

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Assisted by their academy advantage.
Fine. Just don't do what Haw have done and live in a false reality for 3-4 years before realising they need the draft. Take our lumps when they come, might be 2 might be 4 years, draft right, which I believe we can do, and ya back in town.

Reactions: 1 user