The Docklands debate | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Docklands debate

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Meanwhile Salty has made another dig at how many games we play at the G.
Becoming a bit embarrassing, isn't it?

Where should we play Melbourne? Is he suggesting Melbourne shouldn't get to play a home game against Richmond? Check in with the Dees fans on that one. What about Collingwood? Or Carlton? Where do we play them for their home games? Is there a magical mystery stadium somewhere we don't know about? I'm confused.

The whole rationalisation of stadia was not of Richmond's doing. This is not a Richmond issue. We've been there since 1964.

Haters just use this issue as another way to take a jab at the biggest club in the land, with the biggest membership, playing the biggest games.

See it for what it is: the ultimate compliment.

Reactions: 4 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
And by the way, the AFL has fined us a cool $100k, taken it out of the soft cap and cost us jobs, cost us a sponsorship with United Petroleum, ignored our pleas to bring rational thought into the soft cap debate and humiliated us repeatedly in the last 12 months- Cotchingate, Stackgate and Bumgate all come to mind.

Is it any wonder Gale and Hardwick showed their frustration? Who would not take the opportunity to make some catty remarks when the opportunity presented itself? They are only human.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
And by the way, the AFL has fined us a cool $100k, taken it out of the soft cap, cost us a sponsorship with a United Petroleum, ignored our pleas to bring rational thought into the soft cap debate and humiliated us repeatedly in the last 12 months- Cotchingate, Stackgate and bumgate all come to mind.

Is it any wonder Gale and Hardwick showed their frustration? Who would not take the opportunity to make some catty remarks when the opportunity presented itself. They are only human.

Gil and the old boys club are getting nervous that Benny is heir apparent.

Reactions: 3 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Meanwhile Salty has made another dig at how many games we play at the G.
I thought the 2020 season, where we proved beyond doubt that we didn't need the MCG to dominate the competition, would quieten these galahs for a year or two. It's safe to say Richmond will live rent free in Chris Scott's head forever.

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I thought the 2020 season, where we proved beyond doubt that we didn't need the MCG to dominate the competition, would quieten these galahs for a year or two. It's safe to say Richmond will live rent free in Chris Scott's head forever.

I'd say we've become the landlord and we're charging his brain rent.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Don't know the details, but it might be cheaper to host games at Marvel than the MCG. I know there's a big cost differential between Marvel and AAMI park for example.

Of course you have to balance cost against revenue/profit - would 30K at the G earn more than 18K at the Dump? Dunno. Does the AFL get to pocket more from games at the Dump? Dunno.
AFL owns the dump now so they pocket everything. Crippled clubs that were forced to go there originally had to pull a crowd of about 30,000 to avoid writing a cheque to pay for venue rental. St Kiddenme, Woofers n #Lolnorf rarely pulled a quid from game attendances. Believe that now Gill owns the place these clubs get a somewhat better deal for rental, but it's only money that the richer clubs would have been forfeiting back to them anyway through equalisation. Gill n the AFL suits love nothing better than having 60% of the clubs stuck deep in their back pocket, totally beholden on H.Q. for their very survival. Simply means that H.Q. never has to wipe it's own arse, there's always a needy forelock tugging knee scraper available to do it for them.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Where should we play Melbourne? Is he suggesting Melbourne shouldn't get to play a home game against Richmond? Check in with the Dees fans on that one. What about Collingwood? Or Carlton? Where do we play them for their home games? Is there a magical mystery stadium somewhere we don't know about? I'm confused.

The whole rationalisation of stadia was not of Richmond's doing. This is not a Richmond issue. We've been there since 1964.

Haters just use this issue as another way to take a jab at the biggest club in the land, with the biggest membership, playing the biggest games.

See it for what it is: the ultimate compliment.

The thing is you bring stats and realism into it and they just resort back to "too many games at the G".

Go back to Cornes last week. "Richmond play too many at the G, they've played 6 out of 8 there this season" (the fact that we have won 3 and lost 3 is lost too).

We had played 4 out of 8 as home games (which everyone gets circa 50% home games) and we played the Hawks and Melbourne as the away team. As you say, where do these numbnuts think we should be playing the Hawks and Melbourne?

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
We won the flag in QLD,would love to win it in Perth this year.That would shut them up.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Here’s something, when was the last time a decent food vendor appeared inside Marvel?
Haaarrrgh. Daughter bought some very average chicken n chips there last weekend. I unfortunately snaffled a few of her chips, purely because they didn't have any burgers available pre game n it was getting very close to start time so I went fairly hungry.

Come to think of it. I might have been extremely fortunate as the only time I can remember buying food at that joint was not long after it opened, bought a burger n it was in a closed foil lined baggy, reckon it had been steaming in the bag for about 20 minutes or perhaps it was nuked in a microwave to heat it up. Went in the bin before I risked a second bite.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Here’s something, when was the last time a decent food vendor appeared inside Marvel?
They won't even let you bring Nando's into the stadium. I sat cross-legged outside the gate eating with my hands and making a mess like a homeless man in protest.

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
I recall being refused entry at the dump because I had a Subway sandwich with me. I literally had to eat it on the concourse before they'd let me in. :rolleyes: To be fair, I think those days are gone but what a way to make an impression on your patrons.

• Wow

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I recall being refused entry at the dump because I had a Subway sandwich with me. I literally had to eat it on the concourse before they'd let me in. :rolleyes: To be fair, I think those days are gone but what a way to make an impression on your patrons.
I asked them if Ian Collins was a *smile* robot.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
It's a pretty hard deal being the second stadium in town when the other is the MCG.

You're always going to be the ugly sister.
It also includes the whole region as Docklands didn't turn out to be as thriving as first thought. Only time I liked the ground was with the roof open on sunny days.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Earlier this year went to watch the Viktree at the Docklands. I noticed a bunch of young guys ahead of me at the gate turned away. I rock up, the staffer scans my barcode on my phone, I see the green tick on the scanner then somehow she scans it again immediately, so it throws an error. "this code has already been used" she says. I say no, you scanned it twice. "No I didn't". "i saw the green tick, you scanned it twice. Get your supervisor". Ok. Meanwhile she scans the next people, a couple, does the same thing. "we saw the green tick, you scanned it twice". "no i didn't, I've been doing this job for ten years". Anyway the supervisor comes and eventually lets us all in. Hopefully they checked the scan logs and sacked that idiot.

Also Viktree lost 6:0 so overall a great experience for me

• Sad
  • Haha

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
If there ever was maybe it didn't have enough patronage to survive.

other than a corporate box i don't have any expectations about food quality at a sporting venue. Hot 4 and 20'if anything at all.