The Docklands debate | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Docklands debate

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The only decent food I've ever had at the footy was at a restaurant in the MCC with a friend of a friend who is a member.

Now, we had a crap crowd at Docklands and we all moan about the place.

So, we're going to have to turn up at the game against Adelaide at the 'G otherwise they will say the problem is Richmond fans not Docklands. I know there are plenty of other reasons, such as the ticketing farce, but we all gotta go.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
If there ever was maybe it didn't have enough patronage to survive.

other than a corporate box i don't have any expectations about food quality at a sporting venue. Hot 4 and 20'if anything at all.
A hot dog at the footy is quite possible the worst culinary meal on this planet.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
A hot dog at the footy is quite possible the worst culinary meal on this planet.
My nephew used to get one when he was a whipper snapper, just looking at it made my stomach churn.

Last week he and his mates were booking a meal in the Jim Stynes room, grown up a bit the last decade.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Back to the Doclands debate... it replaced Waverley. Is it an upgrade or not?

I know it's closure disenfranchised fans in the SE growth corridor, but I think many of the things said about Docklands were said about Waverley.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Meanwhile Salty has made another dig at how many games we play at the G.

It's our home ground you creepy greasy-haired twat.
He’s been up and about since beating us.
Has been very quiet since the Grand Final loss.

• Haha

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Back to the Docklands debate... it replaced Waverley. Is it an upgrade or not?

I know it's closure disenfranchised fans in the SE growth corridor, but I think many of the things said about Docklands were said about Waverley.

That is an interesting question. If they built a more up to date version of Waverley where Docklands is now then they might have got it right. Not sure how you make a ground fit 150k but it would be fun. I reckon they could have got land around the docks in the 1970s for a song, it was a wasteland back then. A fair bit of mis-timing involved with VFL Park, Melbourne was pretty sparse in Mulgrave back then but now it goes out beyond Stud Rd. Still, too far out and needed a train.

Docklands is clearly in a far better location.

You are much closer to the action at Docklands, I think I would say an upgrade but it is a bit harsh on VFL Park as it was built when ground design was quite different. When you consider the difference between the old and the new Southern Stands at the MCG it is like chalk and cheese - the old stand may well have had a larger capacity with all that standing room and the bench seats fitted more people in, but it was about half the height of the new one.

For most of its existence VFL Park took about 80,000 people and I think they should have made Docklands a bit bigger. As it is now you can't really play finals there as the capacity is just too low. We managed to have the MCG with 120k capacity and VFL Park with 80k capacity both running at the same time so there is scope for a larger second stadium.

Anyone know what it is like at Docklands with a capacity crowd?

DS

Reactions: 1 user

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Melbourne goes beyond Stud Rd.... It's about half way from CBD to Berwick.

But as you say not only has design changed since it was conceived the 1960s the urban sprawl has now headed west, south west and north as well as the relentless march SE which continues unabated 50'years on. Getting a big crowd in and out of Waverley would be even slower today given the base level of traffic on the freeway now.

If they can get 80000 around an athletic track in recent Olympic stadiums that would be the model for a rebuild of Docklands.

(Whilst I hate the roof there it has allowed for some big non footy events to be held there)

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
That is an interesting question. If they built a more up to date version of Waverley where Docklands is now then they might have got it right. Not sure how you make a ground fit 150k but it would be fun. I reckon they could have got land around the docks in the 1970s for a song, it was a wasteland back then. A fair bit of mis-timing involved with VFL Park, Melbourne was pretty sparse in Mulgrave back then but now it goes out beyond Stud Rd. Still, too far out and needed a train.

Docklands is clearly in a far better location.

You are much closer to the action at Docklands, I think I would say an upgrade but it is a bit harsh on VFL Park as it was built when ground design was quite different. When you consider the difference between the old and the new Southern Stands at the MCG it is like chalk and cheese - the old stand may well have had a larger capacity with all that standing room and the bench seats fitted more people in, but it was about half the height of the new one.

For most of its existence VFL Park took about 80,000 people and I think they should have made Docklands a bit bigger. As it is now you can't really play finals there as the capacity is just too low. We managed to have the MCG with 120k capacity and VFL Park with 80k capacity both running at the same time so there is scope for a larger second stadium.

Anyone know what it is like at Docklands with a capacity crowd?

DS

was there for the A-League grand final, full house, Viktree beat Radelaide 6:0, fair to say the place was rocking. That was like a 38 degree day with some rain, very humid as I recall. Roof was open.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Back to the Doclands debate... it replaced Waverley. Is it an upgrade or not?

Big upgrade. You'd get sub-10,000 crowds on a wet winter's day at Waverley now.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
"you haven't won a final"
"you haven't won a premiership"
"you haven't won away from the MCG"
"you haven't backed up the premiership"
"you haven't gone back to back"
"you haven't... um... you don't like Marvel and, you have 100K members, and, COVID scare didn't happen last week and only 20k went to Marvel, um, so what's up with that?"

Reactions: 3 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Not sure if I'm on my own but I like watching games at Marvel.

Same here - I always look forward to a home game there.
The reserved seat means I’ve never had to go through the normal ticketing process - and I can understand that must be a pain.
Using the train - it’s easier access than to/from the ‘G
And the view especially from Level 2 is superb.

The place should be ideal for getting 35,000 - 40,000 Tigers to games against interstate clubs where we mightn’t get many more than that to the ‘G.
Crowds like that should make the place a fortress.
Given last week - the Club and the AFL must look closely and come up with options. Maybe there needs to be more attractive pricing and seating to encourage more members to actually go along and use their membership. I’m assuming that many members were entitled to free admission but still stayed away.

And as for Waverley - I hated it and even though it was closer to me I was happier travelling past it and heading for the city.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Same here - I always look forward to a home game there.
The reserved seat means I’ve never had to go through the normal ticketing process - and I can understand that must be a pain.
Using the train - it’s easier access than to/from the ‘G
And the view especially from Level 2 is superb.

The place should be ideal for getting 35,000 - 40,000 Tigers to games against interstate clubs where we mightn’t get many more than that to the ‘G.
Crowds like that should make the place a fortress.
Given last week - the Club and the AFL must look closely and come up with options. Maybe there needs to be more attractive pricing and seating to encourage more members to actually go along and use their membership. I’m assuming that many members were entitled to free admission but still stayed away.

And as for Waverley - I hated it and even though it was closer to me I was happier travelling past it and heading for the city.

Yeah, the ticketing, even before COVID, is a huge issue at Docklands. If you are a Richmond reserved seat or reserved bay member you get Level 4 (or is it 3, I dunno) at Docklands unless you pay, and that's for a home game. Meanwhile Level 1 is half empty. They really need to fix this.

Mind you, it isn't only Richmond games where Level 1 is half empty, it seems to be all games. The ticketing there is a real turn off.

DS

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Well, How many home games do Essendon and Carlton play at the MCG?
Make them play their home games at the Done and we wont have to play a home game there.

Total Tiger

Tiger Champion
Apr 13, 2009
I think the club and a vast majority of supporters are being petulant brats. When it's Geelong crying over home games away from Kardinia Park we tell them to suck it up. We've given the media, the league, other supporters and Chris Bloody Scott a free shot at us for reasons I don't understand.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
What's the split in home games at the G vs Etihad for part time tennants Essendon Carlton and North?

How stupid are essendon and carlton agreeing to play home games there

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I think the club and a vast majority of supporters are being petulant brats. When it's Geelong crying over home games away from Kardinia Park we tell them to suck it up. We've given the media, the league, other supporters and Chris Bloody Scott a free shot at us for reasons I don't understand.
Th difference is that when it suits Geelong, they wanted home games at the MCG to maximise revenue. They would request home games at the G.

I'm not sure we ever requested home games at Docklands, or Kardinia Park. We may have sold games interstate but that was a while ago and also to maximise revenue.

By Richmond playing home games at Marvel, we are doing the opposite of maximising revenue

Total Tiger

Tiger Champion
Apr 13, 2009
Th difference is that when it suits Geelong, they wanted home games at the MCG to maximise revenue. They would request home games at the G.

I'm not sure we ever requested home games at Docklands, or Kardinia Park. We may have sold games interstate but that was a while ago and also to maximise revenue.

By Richmond playing home games at Marvel, we are doing the opposite of maximising revenue
Geelong have said for a while now they'd like 11 at Kardinia Park. We are whinging

acatman1

Tiger Superstar
Sep 18, 2016

Hmmm i did read somewhere that 26,000 at GMBA the cats make more money than 70,000 at the g

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Geelong have said for a while now they'd like 11 at Kardinia Park. We are whinging
Now that the squashed egg can take more crowd, yeah.

I'm not defending RFC here, just pointing out that using the Cats as an example is flawed.