The Farce Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Farce Thread

poppa x

Tiger Legend
May 28, 2004
Mt Waverley
Heller had the great comeback when asked why in the following years he hadn't written anything else as good as Catch-22: "Well, neither has anyone else!"

While I've no doubt Catch 22 is an all time great; I had difficulty finishing it.
Tried 3 times and gave up after about 100 pages.

E

easy_tiger

Yeah catch 22 is a farcical manual. Cannery Row is pretty farcical too.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
poppa x said:
While I've no doubt Catch 22 is an all time great; I had difficulty finishing it.
Tried 3 times and gave up after about 100 pages.
It's not for everyone. My dad, uncles and I love it, but my brothers are 'meh'. Yet one of them likes another Heller novel.

easy said:
Yeah catch 22 is a farcical manual. Cannery Row is pretty farcical too.
I haven't read that. Here's one for you, easy: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I really enjoyed that.

poppa x

Tiger Legend
May 28, 2004
Mt Waverley
spook said:
It's not for everyone. My dad, uncles and I love it, but my brothers are 'meh'. Yet one of them likes another Heller novel.
I haven't read that. Here's one for you, easy: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I really enjoyed that.

Nah.
I got confused with "Engine maintenance for Dummies"

E

easy_tiger

spook said:

a bit like poppa and catch 22, ive tried zen and motorbikes a half dozen times and struggled. someday itll grab me.

another farcical novel is Bukowski's post office. Some of the best books detail farces. I wonder why that is.

Orwell could get pretty farcical on yo' arse too.

I guess life is a fairly prolonged farce. Only half a dozen or so hours and we get a look at Beanie and Oleg. The most exciting height of my footy season.

A Farce, and yet not a Farce. The AFL can jam it, up their *smile* Farce.

edit: whoops, inadvertently dodged the swear filter with the last phrase. Quickly fixed.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
I like "farcing" as an alternative F word. Much more apt than the ridiculous ones that used to find their way into American shows.

Here's a literary farce for you: my son is studying Romeo and Juliet, but it's a graphic novel written in plain modern English.

"Wazzup Romeo?" An educational farce.

PS. Keep an eye out for a BBC comedy series called Upstart Crow with David Mitchell playing Shakespeare. Ben Elton's scripts return to his Blackadder era.