The Footy Show

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
What’s the bet that there’s an “old school” Footy Show for the grand final edition with Ed, Sam, Trevor, Doug, Dunstall etc?

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
tigertim said:
What’s the bet that there’s an “old school” Footy Show for the grand final edition with Ed, Sam, Trevor, Doug, Dunstall etc?
Please don’t tease me.
That would be awesome!

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I always said I wouldn't watch whilst the detestable Newman was on and when he left I didn't go back. I see the odd tweet from him when others retweet them and they just reinforce was a truly unlikable human he is.

TV shows have a use by date and the Footy show's was long ago, it's normal. Just like World of Sport before it.

I have since become a Front Bar watcher and many times Sam Pang and Mick Malloy are actually funny, unlike TFS which lost any sense of real humour when Trevor Marmalade was moved on.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
bigwow said:
I know you're taking the p!ss, but as a one off annual gala, it would work it's arse off.
Actually I agree with you.
It would rate through the roof.

shad

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2010
I don't know if there is a separate thread for the Sunday Footy Show, but Mal Brown and Sam Newman were on this morning. Worth a look if you can find it. Mal brown probably shouldn't be of live TV again. He made Sam look politically correct.

TigerForce

Richmond has a better list.
Apr 26, 2004
shad said:
I don't know if there is a separate thread for the Sunday Footy Show, but Mal Brown and Sam Newman were on this morning. Worth a look if you can find it. Mal brown probably shouldn't be of live TV again. He made Sam look politically correct.
Just watching it now on the IQ. Must say it's terrible when you see a person's body shrink as they get to a certain age. Mal Brown looks terribly puny.

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Champion
Apr 29, 2006
shad said:
Guaranteed that he'll never be on TV again.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Oh. Might've been better advised saying "Scottish".
Nah, he should’ve said “like an overweight middle aged white catholic male who doesn’t like to part with his money”. Would’ve bought the house down....

LeeToRainesToRoach

Get out Gillon
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Mal Brown won’t apologise for Sunday Footy Show comments
Angelica Snowden
Herald Sun
May 26, 2019

Footy legend Mal Brown has refused to apologise for saying his former teammate Kevin Bartlett “was very Jewish” and that “he never bought a drink in his life”.

Brown made the comments on the Sunday Footy Show, before host Tony Jones issued an apology.

Tony Jones, host of the show, has issued an apology.

But the former footy star - dubbed one of the most controversial in the game - told the Herald Sun: “I am absolutely not apologising for that.”

When asked if he thought anyone could have been offended by his comments he responded with “I don’t give a stuff.”

Brown said his comments were not taken out of context and that he was referring to Bartlett drinking more than his share of squash after the Windy Hill Brawl that broke out at a Richmond Essendon game in 1974.

The Chairman of the Anti-Defamation Commission Dr Dvir Abramovich called for the former Australian rules footballer to apologise and said that his comments “peddled offensive and demeaning stereotypes”.

“Mal Brown now needs to do the right thing and withdraw his thoughtless and hurtful slur,” he said.

“While we value the role of humour, sports figures, who are often role models, need to mindful of not peddling offensive and demeaning stereotypes, especially those that are rooted in classic anti-Semitism, and which generate laughter at the expense of others.

“Putting down any religious group by suggesting that they are stingy and cheap is simply unacceptable and never funny.”

Following the comment made live on air, host Tony Jones apologised and said that they did not condone Brown’s comments and that they were made in poor taste.

“To those who were offended by it we certainly apologise 100%,” he said.

22nd Man

Tiger Champion
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
tigertim said:
Nah, he should’ve said “like an overweight middle aged white catholic male who doesn’t like to part with his money”. Would’ve bought the house down....
But all good on the pussy joke (attributed to Ted Whitten)

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
tigertim said:
Eddie has announced this, what a shock.