The Geelong Cants | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Geelong Cants

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Probably because they had already smoothed his contract out once before. If they asked him again he'd be in his rights to say it's another players turn to do it.
Maybe, you only smooth out if you want them round. They didn’t see a role for him.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Probably because they had already smoothed his contract out once before. If they asked him again he'd be in his rights to say it's another players turn to do it.
Same problem with Trelol at Colonwood. Back end n back end a contract, then wind up deep in *smile* paying $800 - $900 k per year for nothing fancy. Colonwood kicked Trelol out to Footiscray n are paying back pay to keep him there. Mould Coast bribed anyone available with a massive bonearse to take him n the Moggies were smart enough to take the bonearse n smooth the contract.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
So you reckon Damien Barrett sits down and produces the AFL website?
Journos don't pick the headlines for their own articles. That's done by the (sub)editors.
They submit articles, not page layouts.
you 2 have run off the rails ...

the discussion concerned Sliding Doors - a column Barrett apparently 'writes' and definitely puts his name to ...

not the AFL Website or the Headlines ...

Reactions: 2 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
sorry to sound like a stuck record, but the line that Geelong can do no wrong and they managed to get pick 7 for free is crazy. This idea that 'smoothed out' means problem solved is way off. They are paying a player who will probably be fringe a lot of money for 4 years. It might end up they would have been better off swallowing the cost over two years.

Reactions: 3 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
sorry to sound like a stuck record, but the line that Geelong can do no wrong and they managed to get pick 7 for free is crazy. This idea that 'smoothed out' means problem solved is way off. They are paying a player who will probably be fringe a lot of money for 4 years. It might end up they would have been better off swallowing the cost over two years.
With list spots so important these days especially for a old list like Geelongs bringing in a reserves GC player could be a huge mistake..
I watch alot of footy (,not much lately)
I can't ever remember him playing..

Reactions: 1 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
you 2 have run off the rails ...

the discussion concerned Sliding Doors - a column Barrett apparently 'writes' and definitely puts his name to ...

not the AFL Website or the Headlines ...
Haven't run off the rails at all. Someone made a comment that Barrett would write his own headlines/bylines. It's not accurate. Wasn't commenting on the rest of the article. Haven't even entered into the conversation as yet.

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
With list spots so important these days especially for a old list like Geelong's bringing in a reserves GC player could be a huge mistake..
I watch a lot of footy (,not much lately)
I can't ever remember him playing..
He only played 5 games this year, so we'd tend to forget not playing for Richmond if they hardly played a game. He played like 15, 17, 19 game season's before this year, so 5 games for an interstate team can easily be forgotten.

The problem I have like 'tigersnake' mentions above is they bought doughnuts for $2.2M bucks!! We bought Moet's.

Bowes first 3 years were pretty good, 41% Contested Possession. That's pretty good, from memory lots of good midfielders go around that level.

That was 2017-2019 Bowes. 2020- 2022 Bowes Contested Possession Rate is 32%!! He has gone receiver, outside waiting mode.

Now Hopper we know is at $700 a year x 7, so for four years we're paying him $2.8M compared to $2.2M for Bowes.

Which deal do you want? 32% receiver or a grassHopper stealing stones (footballs) from your hand at 45%? :unsure:

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Huddo's leaving SEN and rumoured to join Ch 7 next season. Don't blame him.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Where do you think it is published?
irrelevant... The Moon for all I care

the point is they are his words that he puts his name on ...

and nobody here has said anything else... apart from you.. The General sort of did but I think he misinterpreted
what someone was saying..

unless you are giving Barrett some credit as an AFL mouthpiece?
if that's the case, just because an organisation publishes a writer that does not mean the writer speaks for them..

....particularly in the 21st Century...

Barrett is a paid hack for clicks

• Wow

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Haven't run off the rails at all. Someone made a comment that Barrett would write his own headlines/bylines. It's not accurate. Wasn't commenting on the rest of the article. Haven't even entered into the conversation as yet.

I reckon his parents wrote his byline actually.

DS

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I made comment on another thread about the folly of Geelong giving away 3 first rounders and paying $900k or whatever it is. Lee has stated previously that on average 28 yr olds play 40 games with their second club (20 if its their third club so look out WB!)

Apart from Plugger I can’t recall too many KPF aged 28 who had successful careers at their second club.
BT and Tom Lynch

Last edited: