The Geelong Cants | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Geelong Cants

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Didn’t Geelong also use the Argus system to get a final they lost replayed? I believe that got them into the GF and they won it. Anything to win, that club.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Didn’t Geelong also use the Argus system to get a final they lost replayed? I believe that got them into the GF and they won it. Anything to win, that club.

Collingwood did that in one of their run of 4 flags, to our detriment unfortunately. The Argus system sucked, it allowed the team who came top at the end of the H&A to challenge and have a second final (sometimes they would drop the first game to improve gate takings, or at least that was speculated).

However, the Argus system was the system in place until about 1931 so the result stands. All the clubs knew the system.

The best one would have to be the 1900 premiership for Melbourne!

DS

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Collingwood did that in one of their run of 4 flags, to our detriment unfortunately. The Argus system sucked, it allowed the team who came top at the end of the H&A to challenge and have a second final (sometimes they would drop the first game to improve gate takings, or at least that was speculated).

However, the Argus system was the system in place until about 1931 so the result stands. All the clubs knew the system.

DS
Essendon have 2 premierships without playing a grand final - 1897 & 1924

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
How do you think Geelong will go in the coming years? We’ve all been expecting them to have a pretty hard fall, but it hasn’t happened yet.

And it looks like they now have some youth coming through. De Koning, Bruhn, Henry brothers, Holmes, Close, Stengle, plus a top 10 pick in Jye Clark.

But they do have a big gap in their list profile… not many players between 25-29 YOA.

Thoughts?

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
How do you think Geelong will go in the coming years?

Think they've got another year or two in this run, while Cameron and Stewart are playing good footy.

After that it will depend on how well they manage their list, be interesting to see if they continue to roll the never bottom out strategy and keep topping up indefinitely.

Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Think they've got another year or two in this run, while Cameron and Stewart are playing good footy.

After that it will depend on how well they manage their list, be interesting to see if they continue to roll the never bottom out strategy and keep topping up indefinitely.
I dont think they will "bottom out" in the near future. they will expect to be able to continue to attract quality players who want to live in the area through trade and FA so wont need high end draft picks, and they will always continue to play the weakest teams in the comp at their home ground, where they have a considerable advantage which will allow them to pick up a few extra wins each year they may not otherwise have got when they stop being a top team.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I dont think they will "bottom out" in the near future. they will expect to be able to continue to attract quality players who want to live in the area through trade and FA so wont need high end draft picks, and they will always continue to play the weakest teams in the comp at their home ground, where they have a considerable advantage which will allow them to pick up a few extra wins each year they may not otherwise have got when they stop being a top team.

The bigger picture there is that they have found a cheat code to beat the system by changing the conventional wisdom about the cycles of rebuilding and how the draft is used. They are already on a run of success that is unprecedented in the modern era.

With the draft being the key tool of equalisation, the AFL are going to have to scramble to find a way to circumvent the ability to remain a top team for such a long period of time.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Key takes from that list:

- We have a very experienced squad with no excuses and the time to strike is now.
- West Coast are in a world of hurt long term
- Hawthorn at $5 are a gift for the spoon
- Gold Coast surprisingly experienced
- GWS have stripped a lot of experience (needed)
- North have more experience than thought. Might bounce slightly under Clarkson.
Not sure that makes much sense Nobets.

On one hand you’re saying WC are in a world of hurt and Norf may bounce slightly when both of those teams need to have a swing of 6 games each on Hawthorn from last year, yet Hawthorn are a “gift” for the spoon ?

What lay odds will you give me on Hawthorn ?

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Not sure that makes much sense Nobets.

On one hand you’re saying WC are in a world of hurt and Norf may bounce slightly when both of those teams need to have a swing of 6 games each on Hawthorn from last year, yet Hawthorn are a “gift” for the spoon ?

What lay odds will you give me on Hawthorn ?

Lay odds of $1.20.

Which is what would need given can back them for the spoon at $5. Otherwise will just go to the bookies.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Lay odds of $1.20.

Which is what would need given can back them for the spoon at $5. Otherwise will just go to the bookies.

I just chucked a tenner on Hawthorn. The problem is that SportsBet promote it as “Least wins” as opposed to wooden spoon. Still not bad odds. Norf will improve a little bit and West Coast will probably win enough at home.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Their home ground advantage is massive! 90% win record there over recent seasons. And they often play the interstate teams and the poorer performing Melbourne clubs. Here's the KP win/loss record by club.

Adelaide 3 wins from 22
Port 2/15
GCS 0/8
Freo 4/19
GWS 2/6
Brisbanes 7/26
WCE 8/26
Sydney 22/64
That's 48/186 see overall (that's a 74% win record for Geelong)

Noticeable Melbourne based club records:
Western Bulldogs 13/60
St Kilda 13/62
Melbourne 19/61
45/183, that's a win % of 74% as well.

So this season they're drawn to play :
Sydney
Adelaide
GWS
Melbourne
North
Freo
Port Adelaide
Western Bulldogs

And Essendon

So statistically, each season, you can put them down for at least 7 wins before the season even starts . They just have to eke out another 5 or 6 just to play finals .

Reactions: 2 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
You said Hawthorn were a “gift” so you’ve gotta do better.

Cmon show some conviction.

Alright, am so confident, will give you your choice of clubs out of North and West Coast, head to head on ladder position Vs Hawthorn.

Loser pays for a Pre/post game feed at the London at a match this year.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Alright, am so confident, will give you your choice of clubs out of North and West Coast, head to head on ladder position Vs Hawthorn.

Loser pays for a Pre/post game feed at the London at a match this year.
You said Hawthorn would finish last. A gift to do so.

Give me my “gift” lay bet then eg $1.60.

If you don’t, I can only conclude that you exaggerated and the markets are about right.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
As much as I love taking your money, why would I take the equivalent of $2.80 with you when I can get $5 everywhere else.

Give me some incentive Tightford!

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
As much as I love taking your money, why would I take the equivalent of $2.80 with you when I can get $5 everywhere else.

Give me some incentive Tightford!
Because you said Hawthorn were a “gift” to finish last you numpter and if you’re prepared to back that statement up then you’ll allow me to wet my beak on something more generous than the market that you keep contradicting yourself with by referring back to.

Otherwise, you’re just admitting the market isn’t a “gift” and is about right.

Now wake up Soft Days and either back yourself in or admit you exaggerated.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria

DS
Funny how Collingwood supporters always neglect to mention that when they talk about their ‘fourpeat’.