The Geelong Cants | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Geelong Cants

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Ohh Greg Wells or should I say Andrew Mackie was the winner of 'I got stooged by GC' award.
600k for Bowes
What an absolute disgrace.
If I was Holmes or Donkey Kong I wouldn't be happy.
A dud on 600k, let see if the media pick it up this week..
I guarantee if Essendon or Stkilda traded for him it would be front page news.
600k? How,??

Reactions: 1 user

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
So what is Salty's excuse this time?
Was it the surface, the cheating umpires, or just bad luck?

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
Both Collingwood and Carlton played the 2017-2019 Richmond game plan against Geelong.

Pressure on the man, surge the ball forward, run in waves.

Unsurprisingly, Geelong crumbled because they always have against that. Doubly so when they're lead by the biggest frontrunner in football.

Geelong are very lucky we were cheated out of the finals last year.

Reactions: 17 users

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
Both Collingwood and Carlton played the 2017-2019 Richmond game plan against Geelong.

Pressure on the man, surge the ball forward, run in waves.

Unsurprisingly, Geelong crumbled because they always have against that. Doubly so when they're lead by the biggest frontrunner in football.

No truer words spoken

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Bingo
Tv Land Teacher GIF by Teachers on TV Land

Reactions: 1 users

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
How do they get it so easy?
Next 3 games are Suns, Hawks and Eagles.
If they can't win those 3 then they are in deep diddley doo.
Of course they will win those games and once again be the love child of the media.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Of course they will win those games and once again be the love child of the media.
It’s fair old timing, they’ll win those 3 and play themselves back into form as they do.

Reactions: 3 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane

I reckon the Suns will beat them at Cararra but if they drop one of the other two I will be certain they have dropped off the cliff.....go Dawks and Weagles!

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I reckon the Suns will beat them at Cararra but if they drop one of the other two I will be certain they have dropped off the cliff.....go Dawks and Weagles!

How do they get 5 of last years bottom 7 in the first 8 rounds of the season??? Seriously!! How easy do they want to make the start of the season for these pensioners.

Hopefully you are right and GC can knock them off next weekend.

Reactions: 4 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Shouldn't be writing off the cats in the first month of the season (despite desperately wanting to!)

Reactions: 4 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
If and it's a big IF, IF Geelong go off a cliff and can't repeat, are we looking in the mirror in 18 months time? Disucss.

• Haha

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
If and it's a big IF, IF Geelong go off a cliff and can't repeat, are we looking in the mirror in 18 months time? Disucss.
Think it’s been proven (by Geelong themselves) that you can remain very competitive for a long time. For us specifically, dunno if we’re an off the cliff candidate - think a lot depends on FA and acquiring KP players - but at worst, could see us dropping to just outside the 8, and at best, challenging again. But certainly not a WCE or Hawthorn situation if we did slide.

I think we’ll be a tough team to play against for a while.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Personally no. The reason for me is the midfield. We've invested in ours. Our main core of mids this year are Taranto (25), Hopper (26), Prestia (30), with players like Sonsie coming through (20).

Geelongs best mids are Danger (33), Guthrie (31) and Duncan (32).

We both have 1 or 2 young key backs, and neither of us have many young key talls (playing in the 1sts yet) but we'll see Ryan on Saturday.

I think our rebuild on the run has set us up well. For me, they haven't done it as well. They have either the old brigade or the young brigade (who have barely played like Clark / Knevitt that have come from the draft). We are trying to bridge that gap and have given ourselves the chance to utilise FA in the coming years to plug the forward line shortfall and then fill in with youngsters that we can get later in the draft.

Our list seems to have more balance where it doesn't drop right away to young talent that has barely been tested in the AFL.

Only time will tell though.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
The other way to look at it is to look at their Round 2 squad and compare to ours. They actually have more players 25 and younger in the squad (for this purpose I rounded to the nearest year, up or down, hence why Dan Rioli isn't in this list).

Would you take their group or ours?

Geelong - Holmes (20), Bowes (25), Miers (23), De Koning (22), Stengle (24), Guthrie (25), Bruhn (21), Henry (21), Close (25), Ratugolea (25) and Whyte (20)

Richmond - Ryan (22), MRJ (20), Graham (25), Bolton (24), Baker (25), Balta (23), Taranto (25) and Young (25). Probably 1 extra as whoever is our sub will probably be under 25 too)

Obviously doesn't take account of who's waiting in the wings, but IMO of those 2 groups, even though ours is a couple of players smaller. I'd take our group of under 25's over theirs.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Ohh Greg Wells or should I say Andrew Mackie was the winner of 'I got stooged by GC' award.
600k for Bowes
What an absolute disgrace.
If I was Holmes or Donkey Kong I wouldn't be happy.
A dud on 600k, let see if the media pick it up this week..
I guarantee if Essendon or Stkilda traded for him it would be front page news.
600k? How,??
Did you miss the part about pick 7?

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne

Gold Coast isn't a certanty. far from it.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
The Cats winning last year might be a blessing in disguise- if it means Scott keeps the job for another 10 years.