The Geelong Cants | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Geelong Cants

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
I'd go 1 further & say GeeLOL players do it in general, following the leader & none of them get any coverage for it, you only have to watch any of our Finals against them & when the heat is on & the game is on the line they are begging for free's at every stoppage. Another 1, when was the last time Hawkins won a contest without shoving his opponant out of the way, be it a mark or a ruck contest? legit question!
one incident / game
us V Cats at the G
its 2013 we are on the improve
52 to them 57 at halftime , gee we are making a fist of it , for what ever reason the Cats seemed to delight in smacking us

on the stroke of half time a young Cotch was getting away from Selwood on the Bay 13 wing
Selwood in desperation dived full stretch and grabbed Cotch by an ankle and brought him to ground , free kick
Scott went off his chops in the coaches box , nothing new there , but a handful of senior players were incensed that a free was paid against Selwood and they rushed to the umpire and complained at length , and continued to ring the umpires and reminstate all the way off the ground

after half time the frees flowed the Cats way and they had a big win

the take aways for me were

Richmond couldn't have had 1 player do half as much as the Geelong players getting in the umpires faces with out there being big trouble and big fines

tripping in that manner is a reportable offence , MRO , nothing

and the sheer entitlement that the most blatant free shouldn't be paid against their darling

my blood boiled for a long time , but the revenge could be they get used to the elevated numbers of frees
and when finals come along the whistle tends to be put away

the cruel irony for them is the level frees during the H&A underwrites a certain amount of success , but it also seems to create a glass ceiling during the finals
they build their model on players and game plans coupled with very frees and not paid frees and can point to the success it brings
but all the expert analysis of why the Cats falter in September dont touch on the frees

we should be greatful

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Meteoric Rise

Tiger Cub
Feb 6, 2020
Player Statistics Comparison​
Name​
Team​
Forward​
Position​
Forward​
Career Games​
306​
Tassie Mariners​
Origin​
Melbourne Grammar​
October 31, 1988​
Date of Birth​
July 21, 1988​
33yr 5mth​
Age​
33yr 8mth​
193cm​
Height​
198cm
92kg​
Weight​
102kg
Last Drafted In​
Career​
Games​
306​
Kicks​
2430​
918​
Handballs​
3706​
Disposals​
1643​
Marks​
Goals​
678​
Behinds​
379​
Tackles​
580​
102​
Hitouts​
Frees For​
271​
296​
Frees Against​
Pushes in the back
Jack
Porkins

Jack has a little bit better finals record I think.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Player Statistics Comparison​
Name​
Team​
Forward​
Position​
Forward​
Career Games​
306​
Tassie Mariners​
Origin​
Melbourne Grammar​
October 31, 1988​
Date of Birth​
July 21, 1988​
33yr 5mth​
Age​
33yr 8mth​
193cm​
Height​
198cm
92kg​
Weight​
102kg
Last Drafted In​
Career​
Games​
306​
Kicks​
2430​
918​
Handballs​
3706​
Disposals​
1643​
Marks​
Goals​
678​
Behinds​
379​
Tackles​
580​
102​
Hitouts​
Frees For​
271​
296​
Frees Against​
Pushes in the back
Jack
Porkins
Shovekins should be 20 games less after all the sly hits, eye socket fractures, cheekbone injuries and concussions his errant elbows forearms and fists have inflicted.

Reactions: 2 users

bugsy

TIGERISING
Jul 31, 2004
Hawkins is like a boarding house cup of tea…. big and weak. Goes missing in the really important games.

For mine the Catastrophies three main problems are their coach Charlie “crazy eyes” Manson, T Hawkins and that legend in his own lunchbox Danglefield.

Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Do they seriously wonder why players dive, drop their heads, fall forward in a tackle when a blindingly obvious dive like this gets rewarded with a free kick?

If they keep paying free kicks for this crap it will keep happening, simple.

Not only should Hawkins miss a match to send a message, the umpire needs to miss at least 2 for gross incompetence, and then come back through the country leagues, suburban games and VFL.

Send a message or expect this to continue.

DS

PS: no doubt the AFL will claim the free was for blocking or some other excuse, it will be a lie but they will claim correct decision despite the fact that blocking happens in just about every marking contest and never gets pinged.

• Love
  • Angry
Reactions: 13 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Porkins should be suspended for that. A lot worse than the Vlaustin and Grimes ones that Gilligsn demanded were cited from the Darwin Dreamtime game.

• Angry
Reactions: 5 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Has there ever been a team with more unlikeable flogs in it? Shovekins, Dangerflog, Duckwood, Cryin Miers, Salty.

Reactions: 9 users

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
Geez the cats worry me. I only only want one thing - for them not to win the flag these next 2 years.

They lost today but I fear they are the only ones who can beat the Dees/a couple of others at the pointy end. they are so shifty as my old man says with their diving, sooking, whinging that they could just about beat the GoDees and be assisted by the umps on the day.
And before anyone says no, remember us in 2018. We were unbeatable and on fire at the start of the year.

Anyway, its my one hope. No Cats flag.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Geez the cats worry me. I only only want one thing - for them not to win the flag these next 2 years.

They lost today but I fear they are the only ones who can beat the Dees/a couple of others at the pointy end. they are so shifty as my old man says with their diving, sooking, whinging that they could just about beat the GoDees and be assisted by the umps on the day.
And before anyone says no, remember us in 2018. We were unbeatable and on fire at the start of the year.

Anyway, its my one hope. No Cats flag.
I think Cats are done. Like the Tigers too old now. Crazy though that they play North twice before they play Demons.

• Angry
Reactions: 2 users