The Geelong Cants | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Geelong Cants

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
I think they are the only real credentialed challenger on paper and on form.

but in November '19 no way did I have Geelong as a challenger.

I didnt have them as a challenger the morning of October 24, 20.

and I still dont
We /I say that every year.
There are always sides that may come from outside the top 4 , even a side in the top 4 could drop.
Nothing should be taken for granted or for certain.
We have to improve again .
The improve will come from our youngsters again from outside the 22 that played in the GF.
Also can those in the 22 improve again across the ground.
Some didn’t have or play some of their best football but we play a brand that is all in and all about role & team.

I’m looking forward to watching this group along with our youngsters at the MCG & at Punt Road.

And watching the other ‘credential’ teams play with the players they have brought in and how quickly they jell.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
I made comment on another thread about the folly of Geelong giving away 3 first rounders and paying $900k or whatever it is. Lee has stated previously that on average 28 yr olds play 40 games with their second club (20 if its their third club so look out WB!)

Apart from Plugger I can’t recall too many KPF aged 28 who had successful careers at their second club.
Tom Lynch?

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Port, West Coast and The Dogs are the contenders.

Geelong had a real chance to speed up the next decade, they just put it in reverse.

Reactions: 3 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Port, West Coast and The Dogs are the contenders.

Geelong had a real chance to speed up the next decade, they just put it in reverse.
Think next year may be the toughest season of the lot ( in respect to how many I consider as contenders ).

Reactions: 1 users

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
Think next year may be the toughest season of the lot ( in respect to how many I consider as contenders ).
Yep, history says it’s hard to stay up for longer than 4 years. 2021 is our year 5. Please let the good times continue to roll.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Don't forget the bombers.
As much as it pains me to say it & hope it doesn’t eventuate , is Essendon have picks 6,7,8.

If and that’s a big IF, Dodoro picks 3 good kids that stay together, grow together and develop they could climb up the ladder within say a three year period.

(I’m going to wash my mouth with soup and should be banished for 24 hours for posting stuff like this )

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Tames

Tiger Superstar
Apr 3, 2005
Melbourne
Collingwood tried to buy a flag and it nearly worked. Geelong are well and truly still in it. All those homes games - they will make finals, and although their game style hasn't beaten us yet, Cameron will make them a stronger side, and Higgins only has to play a few decent games to contribute.

Port is the other danger. Their game plan stacks up, and decent youngsters improving.

Reactions: 3 users

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
Collingwood tried to buy a flag and it nearly worked. Geelong are well and truly still in it. All those homes games - they will make finals, and although their game style hasn't beaten us yet, Cameron will make them a stronger side, and Higgins only has to play a few decent games to contribute.

Port is the other danger. Their game plan stacks up, and decent youngsters improving.
Port still had 9 games (7 H&A & 2 finals) on their
home deck, with crowds, albeit limited. I still need to see more to be convinced.

Reactions: 1 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Geelongs biggest issue was leg speed.

The issue now for them is they just got a hell of a lot slower.

Put a fork in them. Cameron or no Cameron.

Reactions: 5 users

bricci

Tiger Rookie
May 7, 2004
When you think that if GWS hadn't matched their bid, they would have gone the draft with 3 first rounders. So it was a massive loss for them. They must clearly now be the oldest team to play in the AFL ever (if they can get all of Dad's Army on the park at once). The other factor is that we hopefully revert back to normal 20 minute quarters (Geelong will be pushing for 18). I agree that they will beat all of the lesser teams down at the cattery and probably finish top 4 again but out in straight sets seems very likely. I think its good for us; hopefully we play them in a final along the way - tends to lead to a premiership for us.

Agree Port is likely to be our biggest threat, (although lets not forget that their draw (like Brissie's was a big advantage). Brisbane will be thereabouts again I suspect and probably St. Kilda and WCE (by virtue of their home ground fortress); but there are no guarantees in footy!

Reactions: 1 user

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Off field they landed another $40m from govt to "finish" their rebuild. By the time this is finished it will be time to upgrade the first stand. If they had rebuilt the whole ground at once would have cost the taxpayer half what it has.

bricci

Tiger Rookie
May 7, 2004
Off field they landed another $40m from govt to "finish" their rebuild. By the time this is finished it will be time to upgrade the first stand. If they had rebuilt the whole ground at once would have cost the taxpayer half what it has.
By the time the ground is big enough to host a final they may be anchored to the bottom 6!

• Haha