The Geelong Cants | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Geelong Cants

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Collingwood tried to buy a flag and it nearly worked. Geelong are well and truly still in it. All those homes games - they will make finals, and although their game style hasn't beaten us yet, Cameron will make them a stronger side, and Higgins only has to play a few decent games to contribute.

Port is the other danger. Their game plan stacks up, and decent youngsters improving.
Tended to agree re Geelol for the reasons you gave. But the loss of Harry Taylor matters as an experienced, strong and sizable KPD. It means Blicavs most likely has to go back full-time to replace him. So then who relieves the never-quite-convincing Stanley in the ruck around the ground and at CBs as Shove Hawkins can do it up forward. That might be a list problem for them. The other key thing I have noticed is that they have had a very good run with injuries last couple of years which I consider very lucky with such an older list i.e. occasional losses like Selwood and Ablett this year but not 5/6 to key players which we have managed to cover over same time ... and win both flags!
So will the Moggies list stand up to longer quarters again, 22 games etc or will more players start to break down?

Same could be said for Lions too, although a much younger list. Have had an incredibly limited number of injuries to key players. Sooner or later, the tide turns.

Poort and Aints may turn into the bigger threats with a more normal season.

Reactions: 3 users

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
Tended to agree re Geelol for the reasons you gave. But the loss of Harry Taylor matters as an experienced, strong and sizable KPD. It means Blicavs most likely has to go back full-time to replace him. So then who relieves the never-quite-convincing Stanley in the ruck around the ground and at CBs as Shove Hawkins can do it up forward. That might be a list problem for them. The other key thing I have noticed is that they have had a very good run with injuries last couple of years which I consider very lucky with such an older list i.e. occasional losses like Selwood and Ablett this year but not 5/6 to key players which we have managed to cover over same time ... and win both flags!
So will the Moggies list stand up to longer quarters again, 22 games etc or will more players start to break down?

Same could be said for Lions too, although a much younger list. Have had an incredibly limited number of injuries to key players. Sooner or later, the tide turns.

Poort and Aints may turn into the bigger threats with a more normal season.
I wrote similar in the trade talk thread. Think Geelong's backline - as a collective - may be weaker next year. Blicavs moving from wing to replace Taylor looks likely (Isaac Smith replacing him on the wing). IMO, Blicavs adds to their list of talls who are slow to dispose of the ball, a weakness that can continue to be exploited by our pressure in the front half. Loved Shorty's tackle on him in the GF.

And I agree Leon, the injury run will be interesting to watch. Of their best 25, apart from Tom Stewart (front half of the year I think), Selwood, Stanley and Ablett, they had a good run with injuries. Port another, especially their mids. played all year. Port's injuries were more prominent with their KPPs like Burton.

For me, if we go back to longer quarters (I hate the shorter qtrs); and if the rumor of another rule change becomes reality - this time, reduced interchange rotations - I reckon Geelong will be negatively impacted. Endurance, young legs and speed even more of an advantage.

Reactions: 2 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
I wrote similar in the trade talk thread. Think Geelong's backline - as a collective - may be weaker next year. Blicavs moving from wing to replace Taylor looks likely (Isaac Smith replacing him on the wing). IMO, Blicavs adds to their list of talls who are slow to dispose of the ball, a weakness that can continue to be exploited by our pressure in the front half. Loved Shorty's tackle on him in the GF.

And I agree Leon, the injury run will be interesting to watch. Of their best 25, apart from Tom Stewart (front half of the year I think), Selwood, Stanley and Ablett, they had a good run with injuries. Port another, especially their mids. played all year. Port's injuries were more prominent with their KPPs like Burton.

For me, if we go back to longer quarters (I hate the shorter qtrs); and if the rumor of another rule change becomes reality - this time, reduced interchange rotations - I reckon Geelong will be negatively impacted. Endurance, young legs and speed even more of an advantage.
We are in full accord, Bob. But I'm sure SHocking is doing his best to represent what Geelol would like to be changed back in '21 ... because they SOOO deserve a premiership, especially Duck and Danger plus the Big Shove, Hawk.

Reactions: 1 user

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Expecting Geelong to get off to a good start 2021. Then fall into a heap at the half way mark.
Zimmer frames in the gutter and trousers done up over the belly down at kardinia park

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Wildride

Tiger Superstar
Sep 6, 2006
Brisbane
23 disposals.

It really is an outer-world experience to look at the team lists of that match knowing what we now know about the players involved - on both sides, and think that we beat them there for the only time in 14 attempts between 1991 and 2017.
But of course the two teams faced off again less then a year later at Etihad and order was restored by 26 goals. The teams involved had 13 players in common for Richmond and 15 for Geelong.
Must be one of the very few times the 'Fab 5' of the 2004 draft played together - Deledio, Tambling, Meyer, Polo and Pattison.

Reactions: 1 user

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Must be one of the very few times the 'Fab 5' of the 2004 draft played together - Deledio, Tambling, Meyer, Polo and Pattison.
16 years ago sounds like such a long time .....look how far we've come!
Even the *smile* we took over not getting Roughy and Buddy makes me smile these days as the whole trajectory of where we are now is a complete unknown. ...

Do we get Jack, Shane, Cotch and Dustin etc etc etc ?
Do we become a trendsetter in so many facets of the competition?

The Bad Old Days just make the NOW, feel so much better!

Reactions: 4 users

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
I don't like the Cats as much as the next person, but this year they made it to the Grand Final without the massive home ground advantage we always thought gave them an easy ride into the Finals. Based purely on that, if next year is back to a normal H&A season, I can see the Cats back in amongst the big boys at the end of the season,

Lions or Port, without the advantage of being one of the few teams living a fairly normal life at home and rarely travelling for matches, will struggle. I hope it's Port as they deserve nothing for butchering a decent INXS song and making it unlistenable now.

Its an interesting one, they are a good team no doubt albeit aging.

I think whilst playing at the cattery is an advantage in H&A i also think its a disadvantage during finals... For that reason (i hope im right) i think this year was their best shot with this list!

Reactions: 2 users

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
Its an interesting one, they are a good team no doubt albeit aging.

I think whilst playing at the cattery is an advantage in H&A i also think its a disadvantage during finals... For that reason (i hope im right) i think this year was their best shot with this list!
I think you might need to also factor in the post Grand Final, Richmond Mind *smile* Factor or RMFF as I like to term it. Add to that, they brought in a key forward that already suffers from RMFF from 2019. I'm sure they'll be there abouts, but judging what we have done to previous GF opponents, I wouldn't be surprised if they fall apart. The pressure is on them, they've sold the farm for the '21 Premiership.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Not sure if anyone has noticed but Klay Thompson of the Golden State Warriors, suffered an achilles tear that will keep him out of all of NEXT season in the NBA after missing all of this season in the NBA. It shot the Warriors chance of winning last season (along with injuries to Steph Curry) and it makes them a middle of the road team next season. The reason I flag it is that although Geelong are loading up on older players and continually pushing the rebuild down the road, you have to respect the window. It can close so fast. So far I haven't seen us take one short cut, everything has been about building for sustained success.

Next year we already have five picks in the first free rounds of a strong draft with I suspect, some cap room. Expect us to make a move for a veteran star next year. We have someone in the mixer already, I'd bet on it. Every move has been geared towards it. My bet is Zach Merrett.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Not sure if anyone has noticed but Klay Thompson of the Golden State Warriors, suffered a achilles tear that will keep him out of all of NEXT season in the NBA after missing all of this season in the NBA. It shot the Warriors chance of winning last season (along with injuries to Steph Curry) and it makes them a middle of the road team next season. The reason I flag it is that although Geelong are loading up on older players and continually pushing the rebuild down the road, you have to respect the window. It can close so fast. So far I haven't seen us take one short cut, everything has been about building for sustained success.

Next year we already have five picks in the first free rounds of a strong draft with I suspect, some cap room. Expect us to make a move for a veteran star next year. We have someone in the mixer already, I'd bet on it. Every move has been geared towards it. My bet is Zach Merrett.

Agreed, we've hardly put a step wrong and I love that we are also respecting the draft unlike Hawthorn and Geelong so that when they fall, they fall hard.

Strong use of the draft and the correct targeting of Free Agents will be what ensures teams stay at the top for longer than they should. When I say "correct" I look at the FA targetting of Tom Lynch compared to Jeremy Cameron. Both very good players and not a lot to differentiate the 2, but the key thing is we targeted a player that would get a very high compo pick and it was close to impossible for us to beat that (hence they GC didn't match) compared to Cameron, who would have been Pick 11 and therefore much easier to match and then you lose your draft picks. We essentially got most of our 2018 draft haul for free for targeting the right FA. We wouldn't have got RCD or Jack Ross if we Gold Coast had have matched the Lynch bid. Whether thats luck or smarts I'll leave to others to make their own minds up but for me its smart.

Continuing along this path is essential. Lets focus on the draft and target specific free agents and agree I reckon Merrett could be the one. If the Bombers finish outside of the 8 which is looking likely, I can't see them matching. There is no way anyone would give them a top 10 pick in what could be a very strong draft for Merrett regardless of how good he is, largely due to him being 26/27 at the time.

Reactions: 6 users

mjb

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 23, 2007
Getting Merrett would rub salt in Collingwoods wounds. Delicious!!

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Gee I don't get the love for Port.

IMO, they are in for a massive reality check next season. Like Brisbane, they greatly benefitted from the COVID impact on the season.

Reactions: 3 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Gee I don't get the love for Port.

IMO, they are in for a massive reality check next season. Like Brisbane, they greatly benefitted from the COVID impact on the season.

I think they have a good mix of hard mature bodied midfielders and youth that have some speed and energy and they play a brand similar to ours which stacks up in finals.

They may find next year a little tougher but I would expect them to still make top 4 but I think we w
are still a 2 goal better team than them at the moment.